User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dometic refrigerator cooling fan wasn't working

On our last outing, we noticed the fridge temperature was close to 50 degrees while set on "3". We turned it up to 5 and it dropped to 44 degrees. I slid the temp sensor all the way up on the evaporator but it did not change the temp. When we got home, I discovered the cooling fan would not run even while I bypassed the thermal switch. I measured 12vdc up to the inline 3 amp fuse but only 6vdc across the fan. I measured the fuse for continuity and found it to be about 18 ohms, causing a 6vdc drop across the fuse. I have never seen a simple glass fuse with a high resistance like this. I searched for a standard replacement fuse but no auto parts stores carry a 3/16" diameter glass fuse so I replaced the holder with an automotive style mini-fuse. I warmed up the thermal switch and the fan works. The fridge is back to 40 degrees on "3". As a side note, when the thermal switch was attached to one of the cooling fins, the installer broke the fin loose from the pipe so there was not a good conductive path to the fin. I remounted the switch to another fin that was tightly swaged to the pipe. So far, so good.
    Mike and Sally
    2019 Imagine 2500RL
    2016 Ram 1500
    Camco Eazlift R3 Recurve hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good find Mike. Most of us, like me, would have just checked continuity across the fuse and called it good. Dometic fridge issues sure do take up a lot of space on this forum.
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many think that auto fuses are the same as those used in RV's. They're not. I found fuses in the RV dealership to be much cheaper than those purchased in auto parts stores too.