User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

285BHTS TT or 31MB 5er?

So I did everything backwards and have wasted some money, but I'm going to try not to think about that and just make the best decisions I can moving forward about our camping setup. I just upgraded the truck from a 2019 Ram 1500 to a 2019 F350 Diesel Short Bed Platinum. Payload capacity is right around 3,400 on the sticker.

We live North of Atlanta with tons of great camping nearby on Lake Lanier, the Blue Ridge Mountains, and trips to Florida all in our plans. We have 2 boys that just turned 1 and 4 years old, and we aren't having anymore, we're in our late 30's.

We have a 285BHTS TT and like it ok. We'd prefer to have the windows on the camping side. We like the mid-bunk setup of the 31MB and all the windows it has on the right side and the back.

I feel like we are going to end up going to a 5er at some point since I've got a truck that can handle it now. I'm leaning towards going ahead and doing it right now so we can get into our long term unit. One complication is that we leave in 2 weeks for a trip to Ft. Wilderness, so if I'm going to switch I would need to do it in the next couple days so I can get anything fixed on the new 31MB before I head down to Florida. If we aren't going to do it now I need to start dialing in the tow setup with my 285BHTS connected to the F350.

What should I do? Are 5er's really that much easier to pull than TT's? With this 1-ton F350, will I still get a ton of sway with the 285BHTS setup with a Husky Centerline TS? Are 5er's really that much easier to hookup and get moving? Is there a real life comparison that I should read? I feel like most of the stuff I find online could be written by the RV companies to push people to 5er's because they cost more. I'm hoping to get some real life advice/experiences.

I'm willing to take the financial it if it really is going to be a safer/easier/better experience for my family. We want to take a couple long trips a year, and have long weekends at least once a month in the camper. Any advice you have is greatly appreciated!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2 cents. Keep the 285 BHTS for this trip, and enjoy Ft Wilderness. I foresee a lot of stress rushing to purchase a 5'er, get it setup, buy accessories that might be different from the 285, etc. Relax, enjoy your outing, then take your time making the decision and switching over if that's what you decide to do.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did you end up doing? Similar set up and I see the issue of wanting to do the big trip in a new rig.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up buying the 31MB. Dealer worked a good enough deal to make it happen for us, and understood my timing issues. I didn't want to go through the effort of getting the 285BHTS dialed in correctly just to turn around and move to the 5th wheel anyway. We like the layout of the 31MB 100 times better, and from everything I'm reading the towing experience should be a lot better moving to a 5th wheel.

PDI on the 31MB went well with no major issues and all systems fully tested. If the PDI didn't go well I would have just kept the 285BHTS for this trip, which the dealer also understood was a requirement.

The other thing I was up against is this is the last 31MB that I could find locally that didn't have the new graphics, the white exterior, and lighter interior. My wife and I don't like the new look at all, and we're happy that we got this 31MB which was built just before the cosmetic change to the reflection line.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great! Congratulations on the new rig!
    What hitch did you decide with? And do you have airbags? Hope I'm not hijacking this thread. I just have a very similar setup and don't trust the dealers.
    Any pics of the new setup??

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2017 F350 SRW CCSB
    2020 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't mind me asking, what deal did you get on the 31mb? We are in the process of hunting now.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went to a Michigan rv show, got a 2020 model 31mb for $41k plus taxes. More than I wanted to pay, but cheapest I could find was a used one for 42k.

2017 F350 SRW CCSB
    2020 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wxbee320 View Post
    I just went to a Michigan rv show, got a 2020 model 31mb for $41k plus taxes. More than I wanted to pay, but cheapest I could find was a used one for 42k.

Wow, that was a heck of a price!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, good to hear. I have looked everyday since thinking I got bamboozled by the salesman. Even more embarrassing is that we didn't even see one in person. We since have and are excited about the delivery. Now I'm trying to get them to store it for the winter!
    Either way I have to figure out a htich really want to Reese goose box but I have a short bed. So now I'm trying to figure out how important a 90deg turn is.

2017 F350 SRW CCSB
    2020 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, we paid just around that also. I checked a lot of places. Most much more.

We are going with the Pullrite Superglide. My brother uses it on his short bed for a Jayco Pinnacle and loves it.