User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which antifreeze? 2019 Fall brands

I visited a few stores and they had multiple brands and features even for an antifreeze. Some said corrosion resistance, some said all plastics etc. Do I need a specific antifreeze that are non toxic and will not corrode the seals? None of the antifreeze I saw had corrosion resistance to rubber seals. Just metals and plastics.
    2020 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 Ram 1500 Limited Hemi V8 Etrq

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize this an old post, but I remember seeing here that there was a type of antifreeze to avoid. I've done a couple of searches but didn't find anything, maybe someone else can help as am looking for the same information. . . .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theclarks View Post
    I realize this an old post, but I remember seeing here that there was a type of antifreeze to avoid. I've done a couple of searches but didn't find anything, maybe someone else can help as am looking for the same information. . . .
    Looking at your signature line, you are not new RV owners, so you know it’s the non-toxic RV antifreeze. I, too, remember those threads. Two came up when I searched: “Walmart RV antifreeze”, above. Apparently, there was some discussion around buying it at Walmart (“Stabil” brand) vs. buying at TSC.

That said, we’ve always purchased our pink liquid at our local Walmart and we’ve never had a problem. Regardless, I don’t remember our bottles being labeled “Stabil” brand. Maybe the OP of the most recent thread noticed the batch he bought was a little thin and decided to do the freezer test before using. Maybe it’s a regional thing. If it looks thinner than usual, you could always do your own test before using.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Looking at your signature line, you are not new RV owners, so you know it’s the non-toxic RV antifreeze. I, too, remember those threads. Two came up when I searched: “Walmart RV antifreeze”, above. Apparently, there was some discussion around buying it at Walmart (“Stabil” brand) vs. buying at TSC.

That said, we’ve always purchased our pink liquid at our local Walmart and we’ve never had a problem. Regardless, I don’t remember our bottles being labeled “Stabil” brand. Maybe the OP of the most recent thread noticed the batch he bought was a little thin and decided to do the freezer test before using. Maybe it’s a regional thing. If it looks thinner than usual, you could always do your own test before using.
    What I'm remembering it was something in the antifreeze that was not good for the plastic / pvc / hose's parts of the fresh water system, wasn't catastrophic. I bought the better stuff last October, but didn't save the bottle as I would remember, well that didn't work . . . .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I'm remembering it was something in the antifreeze that was not good for the plastic / pvc / hose's parts of the fresh water system, wasn't catastrophic. I bought the better stuff last October, but didn't save the bottle as I would remember, well that didn't work . . . .
    Ah. I understand completely and commiserate with you (where DID I put that thing I wanted to have handy because I knew last week I’d need it?). What you want is propylene glycol. Just put propylene glycol in the search box above and you’ll get 5-6 threads here. Also, online, other RV related subject authors have articles describing the differences and effects on plumbing. Maybe the other non-toxic stuff is perfectly alright if you’re winterizing a house, or camp.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Ah. I understand completely and commiserate with you (where DID I put that thing I wanted to have handy because I knew last week I’d need it?). What you want is propylene glycol. Just put propylene glycol in the search box above and you’ll get 5-6 threads here. Also, online, other RV related subject authors have articles describing the differences and effects on plumbing. Maybe the other non-toxic stuff is perfectly alright if you’re winterizing a house, or camp.
    Thanks Bruce, that's what frustrates me is my memory. . . . In the past we've always just left the RV in the driveway or side yard for the winter in North West Ohio, but past RV's were under 30' and less than 6,000 pounds. I've just used air to blow the water lines and used the anti-freeze in the drains only. Now we've found inside storage for less than $300, November to mid March. The manager said that even though it's unheated, it's never froze. I just wanted to get the "good stuff" to protect all the seals and valves, what's an extra maybe $2.00 a gallon. . . . . .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bruce, that's what frustrates me is my memory. . . . In the past we've always just left the RV in the driveway or side yard for the winter in North West Ohio, but past RV's were under 30' and less than 6,000 pounds. I've just used air to blow the water lines and used the anti-freeze in the drains only. Now we've found inside storage for less than $300, November to mid March. The manager said that even though it's unheated, it's never froze. I just wanted to get the "good stuff" to protect all the seals and valves, what's an extra maybe $2.00 a gallon. . . . . .
    Same kind of storage for us, inside, unheated. There are too many stretches of week-long sub-zero temps to take a chance. I figure if folks are out there ice fishing, there’d better be protection in the trailer’s plumbing! We pay $650 for 6 months, with the coincidental benefit of a State Police satellite station in the same building. We never worry about “Granny” when she’s in her winter home now. We worried constantly the first year when she was out by the barn, with a decent cover (it blew off in the last storm of the season).
    Nancy (green print)
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to do freezer test with any RV antifreeze you buy. If it freezes solid, I would not recommend it. If it freezes into slush it probably OK. Know this is not scientific test but have used it in past. For last 2 years have gotten mind from Tractor Supply vs Walmart based on freezer test.