User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best & Most Economical Way to Get WiFi in my RV?

There are so many ways to configure WiFi/MiFi for multiple devices and streaming services that I have become overwhelmed with all the options. I can get WiFi in my 2018 Ram 2500 tow vehicle from AT&T for $15/month but the signal is too weak to get inside my GD310GK. I tried a Netgear Extender but discovered that it needs a router, not a WiFi signal, so I returned it. I can get WiFi boosters and antennas or LTE devices that will capture satellite signals, but not sure exactly what hardware I need for our mobile devices and Roku enabled TV. I also found a full-service WiFi provider with support for $99/month with no equipment to buy. I suspect LTE is the way to go since it uses satellite instead of weak WiFi signals from campgrounds or other locations and that may be the most reliable signal. I'd appreciate any expertise or suggestions you may have on the best and most economical way to completely configure WiFi/MiFi inside my rig. Thanks for your expertise and suggestions.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just cut the cord this past weekend and got rid of Directv.
    So now we are going to youtube tv that requires wifi/broadband. Best option i am looking at so far is OTR mobile.
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R
    Titan electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    Morryde CRE 3000, xmembers x3, WBs,4k springs
    2017 GMC 3500 Duramax Denali SRW Airlift bags with wireless control
    Pullrite 2900 autoslide hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look into mofi 4500exlgt combo add antennas and boom!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LTE is not satellite. It is a form of wireless cellular transfer like HSPDA / CDMA (3g) and EDGE (2g) before it.

When we are on the road we use our LTE service through Cricket (AT&T MVNO) to share internet. There are a lot of ways you can do it.

PDA Net and USB to a PC which then hotspots the connection
    PDA Net and use their WIFI direct Hotspot (this only works on devices that have a PDA net app)

Use the Hotspot feature (which can be hacked on since the check is local on your device) with a VPN and turn off the tethering acceleration option in developer options.

The VPN masks your traffic so they can't tell if it is a speed test or video. This keeps them from throttling your video traffic and you can use full bandwidth available.

I can stream 1080p60 or 720p60 from Youtube TV without issue while on the road, netflix, curiosity stream etc.. Other devices can use the net as well as the the hotspot (either via pc or phone) will act as a router so Plex works and so does file sharing if you turn that on. All part of my monthly plan which costs me $32.50 for unlimited, throttled. Reddit as a sub /CricketGroups that has people get together to create family plans if you are solo. I use Google Voice, so my number is safe but I've been with the group I've been on for a year now without issue.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These folks are the gurus: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

Generally, most full-time RVers use a hotspot with the best data plan they can find (Verizon has the best coverage geographically - some third-party sellers use their network). Personally, we have a MiFi 8800L hotspot on a Verizon prepaid unlimited plan... unfortunately, that plan is not longer available for newcomers. Up to 15 devices can be connected to the 8800L at one time.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got the Roadlink C2 from Togo. Uses At&t, unlimited 4g for $360 a year. Works great so far. Been able to stream Netflix and wife has been able to use VoIP for work at the same time with no lag.
    https://www.runswithtogo.com/roadlink-product-details
    Former 2022 Solitude 310GKR w/8K axles & disc brakes, factory solar
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out these folks.
    https://www.visible.com/
    True unlimited and no reduced speeds. It’s Verizon’s LTG coverage. Lot of videos on YouTube. You can buy the $19 phone and use as hotspot. Add a mobile router and you can run multiple devices. $40 month. Tax and fee included.
    Visible Wireless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are probably going to be going with these guys RVDataSat. I’m still working full time and need solid Internet connectivity. We’re very data heavy, so this is probably the best deal for me.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PDA Net and use their WIFI direct Hotspot (this only works on devices that have a PDA net app)
    Use the Hotspot feature (which can be hacked on since the check is local on your device) with a VPN and turn off the tethering acceleration option in developer options.

The VPN masks your traffic so they can't tell if it is a speed test or video. This keeps them from throttling your video traffic and you can use full bandwidth available
    .[/QUOTE]

Hi Aridon...
    That is a serious amount of information !! My head is spinning, lol.!!!
    I have a T-Mobile plan that allows 10 GB a month for mobile hotspot.
    Would getting a VPN keep it from being throttled back after that 10 gb is used up?
    And....is the setting for acceleration in the settings of the VPN app ?

New to this...
    Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Da Breeze; 10-02-2019 at 08:16 AM.
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Breeze View Post

The VPN masks your traffic so they can't tell if it is a speed test or video. This keeps them from throttling your video traffic and you can use full bandwidth available
    Hi Aridon...
    That is a serious amount of information !! My head is spinning, lol.!!!
    I have a T-Mobile plan that allows 10 GB a month for moblie hotspot.
    Would getting a VPN keep it from being throttled back after that 10 gb is used up?

And....is the setting for acceleration in the settings of the VPN app ?
    New to this...
    Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

The VPN would mask the traffic to avoid a throttle. Cricket forces 480p for video traffic on their network, by using the VPN they can't see what the traffic is so it runs through unhindered. That is the primary purpose for the VPN and yes it might mask what is going on but there are other methods for them to check.

As for Tmobile, I don't know what they use as I don't have their service. There are a variety of other ways they check for tethering:

TTL disparity if multiple devices
    Qualcom has a tethering acceleration feature on their chips which needs to be disabled. On android, it is under developer options. I don't use IOS.

On your device the check for tethering is located in a text file. On android it is in the build.prop usually found in /system. When you manually turn that on by editing the file or bypassing it all together by using PDA net (which creates a vpn on your device to route the traffic) the carrier is not aware of you doing so. If the carrier turns on the flag, it would be possible for them to know when the flag turns on and off and thus can meter the usage that way despite using the VPN.

PDA net works really well, you could try using it and see how things go from there. Then you can get more technical if needed.

I'm using a Pixel 3a XL right now, rooted so I can have RW access, mostly to edit the build.prop. It isn't difficult to do, search XDA Developers. Then when I want to tether I simply fire up the VPN, turn on hotspot (no check because I have edited the file myself), open an app called VPN Tether on my device which routes all my tethered traffic over the VPN and enjoy.

If I used PDA Net, which I have used in the past, I would connect it to my PC via USB. Select USB tether, select hide usage and go on my pc and start pda net app, connect, turn on the hotspot feature in windows, enjoy. In this scenario the pc gets the internet from USB via the phone and the PC acts as the router to the other devices which connect just like you would to any other WIFI hotspot. Only downside to this is USB connection to the phone.

You can do it through PDA net's WIFI hotspot as well (app on pc which uses a wireless connection as opposed to USB) and that will work but I had issues with it dropping sometimes or not wanting to connect or reconnect. Wasn't super often but it irritated me having to reboot the pc and phone sometimes. USB always worked.

Rooting and using native tethering over a VPN through VPN tether is the easiest but requires some technical knowledge.
    USB PDA net is easy to setup and use but your phone is stuck attached to the PC would be my second choice.
    Last edited by Aridon; 10-01-2019 at 02:12 PM.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast