User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

School Me on Electric Tank Heaters

Our Solitude is the first trailer we have had with electric tank heaters. Previous TT's like our Solitude were 4-season units and relied on the furnace in sub freezing temperatures to keep the plumbing and tanks from freezing and did so quite well. My question is when if at all needed. I suppose when plugged into an electrical pedestal it would be fine to turn them on as an added source of heat, but what about boondocking in sub freezing temperature?
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They operate off 12V, so boondocking would be ok. They are thermostat controlled, but I dont recall the temperature at which they turn on or off. In theory you can leave the switch on 24/7, but they will only be energized when needed. I'm not sure on the power consumption while they are energized. In below freezing temps you should still run the furnace to ensure the water lines dont freeze.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should I turn on the electric tank heaters for the grey tanks since they are open to the sewer? I would assume there is something in those tanks but I'm not sure if its enough to need the heater or if I should even have the heaters on for those tanks.
    Tom & Misty - Dover, FL
    Gracie, the Black Lab 🐶
    2020 Solitude 344 GK-R
    2018 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 6.7L Cummins CC/LB/DRW

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta2.0 View Post
    Should I turn on the electric tank heaters for the grey tanks since they are open to the sewer? I would assume there is something in those tanks but I'm not sure if its enough to need the heater or if I should even have the heaters on for those tanks.
    In my opinion - just another internet opinion - the tanks should not be left open, especially in the winter time.

Allowing them to fill, with water being dumped into them frequently, will itself reduce the likelihood that freezing will occur in them. They are already heated by residual heat from the furnace in the utility area, and larger volumes of water resist freezing longer. Using the tank heaters for the purpose they were installed will further reduce that risk. Finally, at any time of year the filling and dumping of the tanks ensures that more of the particles and oily substances that get into them will be expelled from them by the forceful flows of dumping a nearly-full tank, instead of clumping and drying and/or freezing to the tank and causing problems later.

Hope that's worth two cents.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta2.0 View Post
    Should I turn on the electric tank heaters for the grey tanks since they are open to the sewer?
    In my Momentum the three tank heaters are all on one switch so I can't control individual tank heaters.

I vote for tank heaters on. They don't get super hot so they will not damage a tank, IMHO it makes no difference if the tanks have something in them or they are empty.

I have grown to like the big whoosh dump instead of the open line trickle. I dump in this order: black, kitchen, shower. Dirtiest to cleanest water. The shower water tends to rinse the gunky stuff out of the hose. When I am done there is very little in the system that can freeze.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750