User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 F-350 DRW - 3 inch to 2 inch adaptor

My wife and I plan on purchasing a Solitude 310GK in the coming months. We just purchased a 2019 F-350 DRW which has a 3 inch receiver in preparation for the new trailer. We currently own a 2016 FR Surveyor which we tow with a Tundra that has a 2 inch hitch/receiver (eaz lift wt distribution hitch). We plan on selling both the Tundra (sell myself) and the Surveyor (probably trade-in). If we sell the truck first which is more likely, I will need a way to tow the Surveyor to the dealer when we trade it in. So, I need to set up the F-350 to accept the 2 inch wt distribution hitch. I know I need a 3 inch to 2 inch receiver adapter and possibly a drop shank since the F-350 sits so much higher than the Tundra. I'm not sure the current hitch will allow me to lower the ball to the proper level to since the F-350 sits do high. Probably the only way is to get the adapter and then try to make it work.

Since it will only be used for a tow to the dealer, I don't want to spend a significant amount of money on new equipment that will likely not be used again. Any suggestions on an economical approach on an adapter and/or drop shank? I guess I could hold on to the Tundra until I buy the new trailer, but I hate to continue to pay insurance and clutter up my driveway with two trucks. I will look on Craig's List to see if I can find any used items.

Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if all else fails ask the dealer of the new RV if they will tow the trade-in into the lot for you. Is your new hitch receiver 3 inch or 2.5 inch?
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks... that’s a thought. The new truck receiver is 3 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2017 F350 SRW has a 3" receiver and came with two adapters. A 3 to 2.5" and a 2.5 to 2". Does your truck have either or both reducers? You may want to check Craig's list in your area for them. Depending on the tongue weight, remember your trailer will be empty, you may not need a weight distributing hitch, just a drop hitch (I would think it is much cheaper). An F350 dually can handle a lot of tongue weight.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 09-30-2019 at 08:13 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sowbug View Post
    My wife and I plan on purchasing a Solitude 310GK in the coming months. We just purchased a 2019 F-350 DRW which has a 3 inch receiver in preparation for the new trailer. We currently own a 2016 FR Surveyor which we tow with a Tundra that has a 2 inch hitch/receiver (eaz lift wt distribution hitch). We plan on selling both the Tundra (sell myself) and the Surveyor (probably trade-in). If we sell the truck first which is more likely, I will need a way to tow the Surveyor to the dealer when we trade it in. So, I need to set up the F-350 to accept the 2 inch wt distribution hitch. I know I need a 3 inch to 2 inch receiver adapter and possibly a drop shank since the F-350 sits so much higher than the Tundra. I'm not sure the current hitch will allow me to lower the ball to the proper level to since the F-350 sits do high. Probably the only way is to get the adapter and then try to make it work.

Since it will only be used for a tow to the dealer, I don't want to spend a significant amount of money on new equipment that will likely not be used again. Any suggestions on an economical approach on an adapter and/or drop shank? I guess I could hold on to the Tundra until I buy the new trailer, but I hate to continue to pay insurance and clutter up my driveway with two trucks. I will look on Craig's List to see if I can find any used items.

Thanks
    You do not say which model of Surveyor you have, but all that I looked at had dry tongue weights well under 1,000#. Ford's spec for an F350 dually is 2,100# max tongue weight. The F350 is a whole different animal than the Tundra.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As of model year 2019 Ford no longer provides reduction sleeves.

Amazon sells inexpensive sleeves. Here’s a 2-1/2 to 2” sleeve https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J8FRCK/

Here’s a 3 to 2.5 to 2” for $30 https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufact...dp/B0765BVYJR/ always good to have. You never know when you will need it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0C99740E-6703-43C4-B88D-E368182BD20E.jpeg  
    Last edited by Jerryr; 09-30-2019 at 08:43 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone.

ordered the 3 inch to 2 inch adapter above today. After measuring both my trucks, it looks like I need to loeer the hitch about 4 inches. The best I think I can do with my current set-up is about 2.5 inches. I talked to the dealer today and he said just so the back of the trailer was not near the ground, I could make the short tow without any concerns. He also said that I didn't need to worry about the weight distribution hitch on the F-350 for thee short haul. My TT weighs about 7,000 lbs and the tongue wt should not be a problem with the F-350.

After I get the adapter, I will give a try and see how it works.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last TT was in he weight range you are talking about. I was pulling with an F150 and needed the WDH. I had about a 3 month window from when I got my F350 DRW until I got my solitude. So I did pull the TT with the 350 and no WDH. The 2017 did come with the reducers, so not an issue. Interesting for me to hear that Ford stopped that. Worth having for sure.

When I lowered the TT onto the ball, the truck didn't move. Pulling it was very stable. You will love how the dually pulls.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS