User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof trusses are not 16" on center

One of the reasons I bought the 2020 Imagine 2450RL or looked at ANY of the GD models was because they say on their web site that the roof trusses are 16" on center. Not even close.
    Attached is the truss layout. I was told by GD that the solid lines are the trusses and the dotted lines are 2x4 blocking for the interior paneling.
    As you can see, as an example, the first trusses are 33" apart, then 32", then 16", then 32" and so on.

I am kind of beside myself with this. Very upset.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grand Design roof layout.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	22889

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was away the last three weeks and had occasion to go on the roof to clean leaves/debris off before moving. Because of another post regarding roof integrity I was more aware of soft spots in the roof. I measured only one truss at 16" that is placed at the back end then 48" to the next with the deck sheets butted between and no support under the joint. The rest of them are 24" to 32" between. Like yours they seem to be placed in conjunction with the vents and A/C openings. I went and got the brochure and of course a construction feature listed is " 5" trusses on 16" centers ". I'm pretty upset myself after finding this out. I would imagine the lack of support compromises the structural integrity. On my list of things to do this week, since I'm back home, is contact GD and question this.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 10-01-2019 at 03:02 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply and the support.
    I'm wondering how long they have been doing this and how many different models. I am sure there are many more.
    I clipped the web page so I would have historical documentation. No where on the page does it say anything about not being or being for a specific model only.

I was told a week ago that the matter would be turned over to Marketing but haven't seen an email or a phone call.
    Please feel free to use my information to reference an additional complaint since this looks to be false advertisement and misrepresentation of structural integrity.

This also starts to make me wonder about the other claims that GD made towards design/construction.

Its really sad... I love so much about my trailer.

Greg Stuhr
    2020 GD Imagine 2450RL
    VIN 573TE3021L6620254

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you want to get upset regarding GD roof construction, take a look at this post that was shared here: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...eferrerid=8240
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been in construction most of my life. I have been on the roof many times and have no reason to believe they are not 16" on center. 3/8" plywood would never support your weight or any snow load at 32" or 48" centers for the trusses. I would guess the diagram shows where certain trusses must be placed for openings and the rest of the spaces are filled in as needed.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
    I have been in construction most of my life. I have been on the roof many times and have no reason to believe they are not 16" on center. 3/8" plywood would never support your weight or any snow load at 32" or 48" centers for the trusses. I would guess the diagram shows where certain trusses must be placed for openings and the rest of the spaces are filled in as needed.
    Then you could come and explain the soft spots in my roof. Also whats makes you think they used 3/8" plywood.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Keebler, Thanks.
    I saw that as well as read through the posts.
    Just pisses me off further that there is nothing being done to correct the issues of false advertisement.

Argh

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about the soft spots... they are just where the diagram shows them to be.

The diagram also calls the deck out to be 3/8" material.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey 315RLTSinPA
    I have built a few spec homes... worked on the sites from clearing the land to putting a for sale sign up.

Because of snow load issues I was thinking that they might build the east coast units different from the west coast but I bought mine in the east.

The only redeeming part is that I paid $24K instead of the $40K on the west coast. Greed is ridiculous.

Like the video showed... the truss issue brings to question the entire build. The RV industry may not be held accountable for certain things but false advertisement isn't one of them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can tell you my roof has many soft spots, springy areas. I was surprised the first time I walked on my roof. The material under the thin TPO is OSB. I believe Grand Design's claims are mostly marketing hype.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast