Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Buying a used 2018 297RSTS

First time travel trailer purchaser here. We are going to go look at a used 2018 297RSTS tomorrow evening, for sale from a private seller on RVTrader. The seller said the unit has only been used 5 times and is including a lot of accessories with it. "Recurve weight distribution hitch included. Tank hoses, fresh water hose, sewer hose support, wheel stabilizers, wheel chaulk pack, over-sized outdoor rug all included with the purchase."

The hitch I believe is this one https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Chem-48...s%2C172&sr=8-7

We are going to meet with them tomorrow evening to look at the unit. I printed out this checklist to use http://changingears.com/rv-checklist-inspection.shtml but wondering if I should also hire a private inspector to check the unit out. The price is really good and I dont want to miss another deal by hesitating to long, this model at the ~32k price point seems to go very quickly. We are planning to pay with a cashiers check issues by our credit union.

Will be towing with an F-250, here is the towing info from inside the door.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	22897

Would appreciate any tips or advice.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there is any unusual odor stay away from it. Water leaks destroy rv's, so if you have a musty or stale odor when you enter it pass. If you have never owned an RV before "sale subject to inspection" is a good idea. If you do go that way be sure to have a written contract, not just a hand shake. Be sure to check the tire pressure before you tow it anywhere. Stop after 5 miles to check for extra heat around the wheel bearings.

Sounds like you have found a good deal, good luck and safe travels!
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamessfl View Post
    First time travel trailer purchaser here. We are going to go look at a used 2018 297RSTS tomorrow evening, for sale from a private seller on RVTrader. The seller said the unit has only been used 5 times and is including a lot of accessories with it. "Recurve weight distribution hitch included. Tank hoses, fresh water hose, sewer hose support, wheel stabilizers, wheel chaulk pack, over-sized outdoor rug all included with the purchase."

The hitch I believe is this one https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Chem-48...s%2C172&sr=8-7

We are going to meet with them tomorrow evening to look at the unit. I printed out this checklist to use http://changingears.com/rv-checklist-inspection.shtml but wondering if I should also hire a private inspector to check the unit out. The price is really good and I dont want to miss another deal by hesitating to long, this model at the ~32k price point seems to go very quickly. We are planning to pay with a cashiers check issues by our credit union.

Will be towing with an F-250, here is the towing info from inside the door.

Name:	Truck.jpg 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	22897

Would appreciate any tips or advice.
    I think you should be good with the F250. I was towing with a Tundra which did very well. The only advice that I can give you is to make sure that the recall was done on this unit if it has the 16" tires. Here is the link to the recall. https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-support/recalls Recall is 17V-743 If not you will need to take it to the dealer to have that done to avoid the potential of the tires hitting the slideout ram. Other than that not really any advice to look for. Ours has been pretty good and we love the layout.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a 2018 297RSTS.
    Check the brake wire connections at the hubs!
    I have had to repair the connections to every hub.
    Some were not crimped and some over crimpted to the point of severing the wire.
    Also check the grease on the axles. Mine were dry as dust.
    Otherwise we really like our 297.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we went to look at the unit and everything was in really good shape with the exception of a couple of the doors. This seems more like a manufacturers defect/poor workmanship vs anything the current owners have done. Anyone ever seen this happen before? One is in the cabinets above the sleeper sofa. The other is in the bedroom above the bed.

Name:	Door.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	22920

Name:	door2.jpg 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	22921

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamessfl View Post
    So we went to look at the unit and everything was in really good shape with the exception of a couple of the doors. This seems more like a manufacturers defect/poor workmanship vs anything the current owners have done. Anyone ever seen this happen before? One is in the cabinets above the sleeper sofa. The other is in the bedroom above the bed.

Name:	Door.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	22920

Name:	door2.jpg 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	22921
    I have not seen that, at least not in mine. If this is all that is wrong GD customer service might send you replacement doors free of charge if you call them, or may just have to pay a few bucks to replace them. If everything else is good and you like the unit at a good price I would not worry about a couple of cabinet doors IMHO.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some wood glue and a clamp will fix those doors.

Yes, that is not an uncommon problem, but easily fixed.

What about that recall? Did the owner get it fixed?
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont believe they did get the recall fixed. They bought it at the same dealership we would be taking it to for maintenance so I will try and call that dealership to follow up on the recall.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rob yes we are planning to move forward with the purchase and can either fix the doors ourselves or maybe try calling GD customer service to see what they say. I was just curious if this was a widespread issue but it sounds like not.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You definitely want to get the hubs serviced and brakes inspected as well.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast