User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disconnected Wires @ Battery?

Hello, new GD owner here. We just took delivery of our 31 MB last week. We're coming out of an older class A DP so we're pretty familiar with systems and repairs.

Question: There is a coiled up wire in the vicinity of the battery box with a red and black wire probably about 14g. The ends are not sripped and don't have connectors on them. I assume this is for future use since all systems seem to be working correctly. Do any of you know what this is for? I'm wondering if this is for the 12 V controls for a future A/C in the bedroom or something else?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a good chance it is for the solar port on the front of the camper. You should be able to follow the wires and if it is the solar connector the wires will lead to a fuse and then the back of the connector. The solar connector isnt really adequate for a real solar setup, I think it is rated for 10A.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were told yesterday that the wire(s) are to connect a solar panel mounted on the roof to the battery to charge the battery. We purchased a portable solar panel but GD removed the solar receptacle on the front of the rv. Now we will have that installed for our portable panel. Added a second battery as well.

2020 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
    GMC Sierra HD 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses. The wire heads back toward to the fuse/breaker box so going through there makes sense. I was able to trace it across the storage bay but I haven't res I don't recall if I have that connection at the front or not for the solar panel. If it goes to the roof I wonder where it is under the roof? Maybe it just goes to the fuse panel.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go up on your roof and you will see a solar connection portal there. I assume those wires terminate up there.

Ken

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamanc View Post
    We were told yesterday that the wire(s) are to connect a solar panel mounted on the roof to the battery to charge the battery. We purchased a portable solar panel but GD removed the solar receptacle on the front of the rv. Now we will have that installed for our portable panel. Added a second battery as well.

Did you get some kind of a charge controller too? Something at least smart enough to prevent cooking of your batteries, if not something called a "maximum power point charge controller" that's smart enough to fully maximize charge while minimizing damage.

P.S. If you click Settings at upper right, and then My Settings - Edit Signature on the left side, you can enter your trailer / truck information (and name and anything else you like) and save it there so it automatically appears in every message, you won't have to type/paste it into each message you create.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. We purchased a Zamp Solar Controller /Battery Charger. Built in regulator to prevent over/under charging. We are relying on our Grand Design dealer’s recommendation for what we purchased