Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problems getting warranty issues fixed / Poor Dealer response

Hi All I had to let you know the problems we have had with our Momentum 355TH

Its not so much a GD problem as with all new RV's you accept that you will get some minor bugs and we have had a number of them. The good news is that at no time has GD said they would not pay to have them fixed, but this is the 3rd time we have had to go back to a dealer for the same problems we had when we picked up the RV back in Feb this year.

We don't live in the US and had to go back to the UK in June, so we asked GD for details of a dealer in PA ( which is where we have our base when we come to the US) where we could take the RV to fix the warranty issues, when we returned to the US at the end of October. GD said Tom Schaeffer's RV Superstore is one of GD top dealers, so in June before we left the US, we booked the RV in for when we got back Nov 3rd they said no problem and will set 3 days aside to do the jobs.

Fine so we were all set and had booked a hotel for 3 days the Rv would be at Schaeffer's, by this time we have added some more jobs. plus the RV had a recall to replace the bolts on the axles (a hours job said GD) so this added a another day. Decided to phone today to see how they are doing at the end of day 3, only to be told that they still have not started work and its still out in the yard! We have had to stay in a hotel while the RV is in and have wasted this money.

They then told me that the parts for the recall which were meant to have be sent overnight hadn't turned up. I said that this shouldn't stop you working on the other 12 points, at which point the nice service reception girl said "well you didn't buy the RV from us and we have some of the service team off sick and still have other customers RV's to finish! This is despite the fact that we had given the dealership 6 months notice of the work, and confirmed it again by phone 2 weeks before we took the unit in. This is like buying a ford truck and when you take it into the ford dealership they say they wont work on it because you didn't buy it from them!!

Has anyone on the forum had this sort of comment or poor service from other GD dealers who did not sell the RV ? How do full timers get work done on new RV's when they are travelling around? We are in a similar situation to full timers in that we need to use GD dealers around the country as we travel and cannot return to the dealer we bought the unit from in the first place. At this rate we will not get all the warranty work done before we have to leave the US again and store the RV for the winter. By the time we come back to the US in 2015 our warranty will have finished through no fault of our own.

If we do not have the work done in the first year can we still get it fixed under warranty?
    Tony & Hilary Self
    2014 Momentum 385TH #290
    2015 Ford F450 with B&W Companion ,Transfer Flow 57 G Midship and 40 G Toolbox tanks
    Extra load springs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing I would do is contact Grand Design customer service and ask for Jerry McCarthy. He is the VP of customer service. I'm sure he will be able to help you with the issue. I'm also sure he would like to know about the poor service you are receiving from this dealer. Grand Design made a big deal about a service "Pledge" that all their dealers signed up to. They need to hold the dealers accountable to this pledge.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After reading multiple forums, I'm starting to believe that there are very few reliable dealer service departments. It doesn't matter if you purchased the FW there or not. It sounds like Schaeffer's is just making excuses. Unfortunately, we get the same poor, slow service from the dealer we actually purchased our Reflection from. I did my research on GD and the Reflection line before making the purchase. Shame on me for not researching the dealership's service department before the purchase. If I'd known they would have been as poor as they've demonstrated, I would have driven much farther to find another dealership. I've resorted to doing most of my own work on the FW so I don't have to take the rig back to the dealership.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I am in Sale's at Tom Schaeffer's, and can tell you that we do have a pecking order for Service, as all dealers do.

Emergencies or break downs on the road are first, our customers are second, and everything else comes in last on the priority list.

What people fail to realize is that technicians are paid by the job, not the hour. So, for them to bring in your unit, work on 3 things, take the unit out because the parts aren't available, then bring it back in 2 days later, doesn't make sense.

That said, yes, we have several techs out, one from a motorcycle crash 3 months ago, and one from surgery.

I will see what I can do this morning when I get in, but if several items need parts that aren't here, good luck.....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and I am sure Jerry McCarthey and JD Adams are already aware, as we talk to them several times a day for issues....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also had trouble getting appointments for service on my Solitude especially if you did not buy it there even though a dealer may be closer to where I live. The dealer I purchased it from does excellent work, but they are always so backed up you have to wait a long time before getting an appointment and some items cannot wait for a few weeks or even a month. My dealer is 100 miles away and in another state. Because of this it is a real problem getting the trailer inspected here in Virginia. They don't want to look at you unless you bought it from them. And because Virginia DMV requires inspection I think that is unfair. They don't even call you back. Grand Design has been terrific in covering all warranty items but the dealers are another story.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had good luck with our dealer, but have only been back a couple of times and plan ahead since it's 100 miles each way. Since the dealer is fairly small family run, we understand that they only have 2 or 4 guys working service. We won't drive there for our free inspection as long as you own the trailer since we have a friend who owns a large truck repair service.

Debby, try checking with local places that service large trucks for your inspection. There are several in our area that inspect RVs. Our friends who own the truck repair place told me to refer others, they don't even charge (unless they find an issue) and their service manager has an RV (a 45' tag axle diesel pusher).

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, here is the real deal...

I talked with one of our Service Writers this morning. The appointment was made with 3-4 items on the list. The bolt recall was not one of them. (it was pre-recall)

The coach was dropped off to us with over a dozen items that now need attention. There was never a three day period promised to rectify any of the items.

We can not diagnose, get approval, and have parts sent in 3 days. It just is not realistic.

We still have no bolt recall kit.......

We have been in touch with GD since drop off, and their suggestion is to get the unit road worthy (recall kit, water leak, furnace issue) and get them back on the road.

(Since unit was dropped off with a much longer list than when the appointment was made)
    [email protected]
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your unit is in a service bay all day today.

Some of your items are not issues at all. There are electrical outlets in the w/d hook up areas, you just didn't see them.

The electrical circuits you wanted changed will not be changed (at least not covered under warranty)

The tech is working on the water leak at the window in the garage area.

Furnace has been running all morning, he is checking that.

The fireplace surround was a simple adjustment.

And we still don't have the bolt recall kit....
    [email protected]
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today's report

Sorry did not see your name on the reply from the dealers sales team, but yes the list had got longer due to the problems found over the weekend we used the RV after returning from the UK and the recall was a GD's add on.

Had a phone call from Terry in the service dept. today to say they are working the way through the list and the bolts had arrived from GD but its a longer job than a hour that GD say it should take! Did ask if they can check if the seals are leaking as they have to take all the wheels off and I see this is a problem other owners have had to be told that this is not a recall so will have to pay to find out.

But the the floor repair which was one of the 4 main jobs they can not do as they do not have enough replacement floor in stock for the two splits we have had from the start.
    The good news they have found how the water is getting in to the garage so things are looking better but we will have to come back to finish the list of jobs as 4 days is not enough. back in to a hotel!
    Did ask if they can check if the seals are leaking

May be I was a bit harsh but as I had planed this back in June I had expedited to come on on Monday and and see it go into the workshop the same day and not be told I will have to join the queue and you did not buy it from us!
    Our RV's are our pride and joy and do not like to see them come apart! (not at that price)
    Will up date you all when we get the RV out Friday night.
    Tony
    Tony & Hilary Self
    2014 Momentum 385TH #290
    2015 Ford F450 with B&W Companion ,Transfer Flow 57 G Midship and 40 G Toolbox tanks
    Extra load springs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast