User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterizing Washing Machine

Another winterizing question. I've read the manual for winterizing the washer. 1/2 gallon of antifreeze and then set the spin cycle.

Now for the question: After it's done, do I turn off the hot/cold facets before I clear the lines and antifreeze, or do I leave the facets (to the washer) open?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what I have always done.

1 - turn off valves and disconnect hot and cold hoses from washer connection (I do not disconnect from washer.)

2 - Add a few cups of anti-freeze into washer drum from the same opening you add clothes.

3 - run the spin cycle on washer (it will drain the anti-freeze as part of this process.)

4 - repeat steps 2 and 3 (probably overkill but I haven't had an issue with my washer yet)

5 - let hoses on back of washer drain into a towel (OK this is actually going on after step 1.). I leave them disconnected all winter.

6 - connect a hose to washer hookups and put the end in an empty anti-freeze bottle (one at a time.)

7 - run anti-freeze through each connection by opening the valve until only anti-freeze comes out.

8 - pour anti-freeze from bottle that you collected into shower, sink, etc. I always add straight anti-freeze to the same place later, but it's easier to dispose of right then and there.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fix washers and dryers for a living in apt laundry rooms and college dorms.

Anti freeze will not stay in the washer if you run the spin cycle.

The best thing to do, would be to blow out the rv water system including the washer in fill mode. Then; after no more water is flowing and just air, stop the washer. Advance it to spin for 30 seconds. Stop the front load washer and open the kick panel, open the pump sump cap and drain out about 1 to 2 quarts of water from the pump and drain hose.
    Disconnecting the fill hoses from the washer or faucets couldn't hurt, but if you blew out the system good; probably not necessary. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I fix washers and dryers for a living in apt laundry rooms and college dorms.

Anti freeze will not stay in the washer if you run the spin cycle.

The best thing to do, would be to blow out the rv water system including the washer in fill mode. Then; after no more water is flowing and just air, stop the washer. Advance it to spin for 30 seconds. Stop the front load washer and open the kick panel, open the pump sump cap and drain out about 1 to 2 quarts of water from the pump and drain hose.
    Disconnecting the fill hoses from the washer or faucets couldn't hurt, but if you blew out the system good; probably not necessary. KEN
    I don't think the point of this is to keep the AF in the washer, but actually to get the existing water out. In the event there is anything left in there, it is AF and not water. Been doing it this way for about 5 years now and the washer still works great and has been through some pretty cold winters.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to put a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze into my fresh water tank. Then I'd cut off the electricity and switch over to 12 volt. I also would use the bypass feature on the hot water heater. I would drain the hot water heater manually.

Then I used the 12 volt water pump to pump antifreeze to every faucet, to the toilet and I'd use the "warm" water setting to pump antifreeze through both hot and cold water lines of the washer. I would run the warm water fillup just long enough to make sure antifreeze was in the water lines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the great info. I'm closing up the RV this weekend. The last time I'll have to do it cuz next winter we'll be heading south!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From Splendide.com.
    If you’re currently pumping antifreeze through the fresh water system, follow these steps to winterize:
    1. With the machine power OFF, turn the WASH TEMP knob to HOT
    2. Advance the Program Selector knob to REGULAR in Cotton Heavy Duty
    3. Press the ON/OFF button (IN) and let the machine fill until antifreeze is in the drum
    4. Advance Program Selector to a RESET. Wait 5 seconds (Status/Door Lock LED will blink)
    5. Advance Program Selector to a SPIN position. Let the antifreeze drain from the drum
    6. Advance Program Selector to RESET. Wait 5 seconds (Status/Door Lock LED will blink)
    7. Turn the WASH TEMP knob to COLD
    8. Advance the Program Selector knob to REGULAR in Cotton Heavy Duty
    9. Let the machine fill until you see antifreeze in the drum
    10. Advance the Program Selector knob to RESET. Wait 5 seconds (Status/Door Lock LED will blink)
    11. Advance the Program Selector knob to SPIN. Let the antifreeze drain from the drum
    12. Press the ON/OFF button (OUT). Finished!

http://www.splendide.com/WD2_AW122_Winterize.pdf
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS