User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for cooling info on 337 or other GD 5th wheels in hot climates

We are currently considering the purchase of a new 337 rls and are seeking some feedback from current owners who have spent some time in hotter climates. We currently own a 2017 Rockwood 8329ss bumper-pull which we really like. We have had no problems with this unit and what we are most impressed with is how cool the coach stays in hot weather. We spend most summers down at the Texas coast where shoreline temperatures stay around 95 degrees and humidity is usually in the 70s. Our camper has 2 acs (Coleman Mach 3) and the temperature stays around 75 in the afternoons and will get down into the mid 60's at night and maintaining humidity levels in the low 40's. And thats with the camper sitting in full sun. Having said that, we are looking to go with a 5th wheel and especially like the larger showers and overall quality of the Grand Designs. When I look at the r-ratings on the 337 they appear to be similar to our Rockwood along with the Coleman acs. My question is whether current Grand Design owners are happy with the cooling capacities of their 5th wheels. It sounds like the units stay warm in cold weather but that is not usually a concern for us.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyTX View Post
    We are currently considering the purchase of a new 337 rls and are seeking some feedback from current owners who have spent some time in hotter climates. We currently own a 2017 Rockwood 8329ss bumper-pull which we really like. We have had no problems with this unit and what we are most impressed with is how cool the coach stays in hot weather. We spend most summers down at the Texas coast where shoreline temperatures stay around 95 degrees and humidity is usually in the 70s. Our camper has 2 acs (Coleman Mach 3) and the temperature stays around 75 in the afternoons and will get down into the mid 60's at night and maintaining humidity levels in the low 40's. And thats with the camper sitting in full sun. Having said that, we are looking to go with a 5th wheel and especially like the larger showers and overall quality of the Grand Designs. When I look at the r-ratings on the 337 they appear to be similar to our Rockwood along with the Coleman acs. My question is whether current Grand Design owners are happy with the cooling capacities of their 5th wheels. It sounds like the units stay warm in cold weather but that is not usually a concern for us.
    We have a 26RL (a bit smaller than what you're asking about). It came with one AC, but wired and ducted for two.

We added the second one (even though we're small) because we seem to wind up in Las Vegas in July & August frequently.

We're quite satisfied with how they work keeping our rig cooled.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest retail ordering your new trailer. And go ahead and get the factory to install the front bedroom a/c. If possible, see if you can order a 15,000 rear a/c or even better yet a heat pump in the living room.

Your dealer can install the front a/c unit, however the price might be cheaper from the factory. Dealers have to get too much per hour for their labor--pushing $150 very often. Adding the second a/c unit is not difficult, but time can add up at the hourly rates dealers charge.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were quoted $650 from factory for 2nd A/C

2020 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
    GMC Sierra HD 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been full-time in our 337 for a little over four years. It came from the factory with the 15K AC in the living area and a 13.5K in the bedroom (both on the racetrack ducting). The main thing that gets to us in hot climates is the noise of the ACs running so much (it bothers my wife more than it bothers me). Our biggest regret is that we don't have dual pane windows. I had the 3M crystalline film installed on all the glass a couple of years ago and it helps, but doesn't do much it the winter. As mentioned, order with two ACs and dual pane windows. You won't be sorry.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a '19 337RLS...... it has dual A/C from the factory. The main unit is a 15K and the front unit is a 13.5K. I'm left with the impression most of these sold down here are spec'd with factory dual A/C. Last spring we spent 2 months in the Keys in a RV park that had no shade to speak of. Even on 90 degree days (and the high humidity there) the A/C had no problem keeping up. Every two weeks we would come back home so I could work for a few days, leaving the camper there, shades drawn, bedroom and kitchen slides in with the A/C set at 85 degrees. When we would arrive a few days later for another stay, we would turn on the front unit as well, and open the large vent on the main unit to cool it back down. It doesn't take long! We generally run the main unit and duct it throughout and to the bedroom; it's not all that noisy when you duct it through the camper. At night, in the bedroom, you can hardly hear the main unit run. All in all, I'm quite pleased with the cooling on our 337.
    David and Vicki and 21 month old Springer Spaniel Sadie
    2019 Silverado LTZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison stock
    2023 Reflection 150 series 226RK
    B&W Companion 16K on rails EezTire TPMS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all who have replied and I appreciate your input! And I think you are right about the dual a/c's in the units sold in the south. I have seen very few that are equipped with just one ac. We keep our camper at the coast during the summer and spend a few weeks and most weekends there. It sounds like the Grand Design folks got the ac/insulation package right if it is cooling like you guys say. And Springerdad, I suspect that the Florida Keys would pretty much mimic the conditions we encounter as well. Having a comfortable camper - temperature wise - is a BIG deal for us with the heat we seem to always be experiencing. We have looked at other brands but I think we are sold on the Grand Design - especially given the positive reviews regarding their customer service. Thanks again and I think everyone's input confirms what I suspected about Grand Design and seals the deal for me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had our new 2020 337 in our driveway for 8 days. I cannot run both a/c's due to only a 30 amp hookup here at the house. At this moment here in NE Texas it is 95 outside and 79 in the camper. Feels great! YMMV
    Ken & Margie
    2020 GD 337
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4
    B&W Companion

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our experience with travel trailers, our Solitude 310GK/R and previous is AC's generally at best drop the interior temp 15-20 degrees at best. We prefer a summer interior temp of 75 degrees and with our Solitude temps up to 90 degrees will keep our interior at 75 degrees, but as temps creep up over 90 degrees, so does the interior temp. Also, at 90 degrees and above the AC's will run constantly. Definitely get the second AC.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the 2nd AC for sure. To maximize the ability to cool, I would have two 15,000 BTU units. Also, get dual pane windows.

Overall, we are not satisfied with the cooling ability of our 40'7" Solitude with two 15K AC units. We have our Solitude parked permanently in Myrtle Beach, SC. We have two shade trees on the curb side and keep both of our awnings deployed. The driver's side of the rig is exposed to the afternoon sun but I installed those heavy screen sun shades on all the driver's side windows (RV Sun Shades). We do not have dual pane windows. On days where the outside temp gets 88 or above (heat index is usually 90 - 95), with both AC units running on high cool the best we can do in the living area is 75 -76F. We prefer 73 so 76 feels warmer to us. We use a fan to circulate air. Perhaps if we had slide toppers and dual pane windows, it would be better.

I've owned a 42' motorhome and it had 3 overhead AC units. We had no issues with cooling even in full sun here in Myrtle Beach or on the TX Gulf coast. IMO, Grand Design should offer the option of a third AC unit in their 5th wheels 40' and up. They do put three AC units on their longer Momentum toy haulers.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast