User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maintenance free wheel bearings.

Is there an economical way to change to maintenance free wheel bearings? When was the last time you had to repack the bearings in your
    car or truck? If you have already done this, what did it cost? thanks!
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    Is there an economical way to change to maintenance free wheel bearings? When was the last time you had to repack the bearings in your
    car or truck? If you have already done this, what did it cost? thanks!
    IMHO there is no such thing as a maintenance free wheel bearing.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An economical way to change wheel bearings is do it yourself. I have never repacked bearings on a car or truck that I can remember. My last travel trailer never had the bearings replaced but they were repacked several times, I think I paid a couple hundred. I think the reason it is done with trailers is peace of mind. Also, while the bearings are being done the brakes can be checked.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the technology as you can see from the auto industry, but the rv industry is slow to adapt. Look at the brakes on rv's. Most are still using drum brakes. You are just now starting to see some of the high end models starting to put disk brakes on from the factory.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several years ago my cousin bought a 25' RV trailer with the no maintenance bearings......they were sealed. He made several long trips through the years and things were fine. Then suddenly on a long trip into Colorado one bearing seized up completely. He had to remove the tire and tie up the axle to the frame to limp into a town. The bearing was hard to locate and two days later he was back on the road. My opinion on these sealed bearings is that I would rather pull my hubs, clean and inspect my bearings and put in new seals rather than take the chance of losing a bearing on the road. The sealed bearings must be pressed in and out of the hub. If you don't have a press then a shop must be found that can do this. So carrying a spare bearing will not necessarily get you back on the road quickly. Proper maintenance on bearings will enable you to thwart problems before they occur. Otherwise a sealed bearing will not allow you to find out it's bad until it fails.
    On a vehicle you will hear or feel a bearing going bad. You know to seek a mechanic. On a trailer you don't hear or feel anything until all of a sudden you have a tire lock up or see smoke in the rear view mirror

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokensalem View Post
    IMHO there is no such thing as a maintenance free wheel bearing.
    X2^^. The conditions under which an automotive bearing and a bearing on a heavier RV operate are quite different. There is a bearing called Nev-R-Lube. When we were at MOR/ryde in Indiana having our independent suspension installed, there were at least two rigs there having the Nev-R-Lube bearings replaced with Timkens because of multiple failures of the Nev-R-Lubes. A good quality bearing with proper maintenance is your best bet.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 10-04-2019 at 11:26 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dexter and others make a sealed bearing similar to what is in use in the auto industry and seen to be working well. The problem that plauged the sealed bearings in the past was the distance between the bearings in the hub, the mistake was made and the bearings were not spaced apart like they are in the current setup. The sealed bearings were placed closer together in the hub, which created support issues and bearing failures when trailers were moved around at low speeds with tight turns, this caused failures in the sealed bearings. With the current design similar to a packable bearing the stresses are properly spread across the bearing and hub area. As long as good quality bearings are used and setup properly they will hold up as they do in the auto industry. As mentioned in a previous post, the RV industry is very slow to utilize better designs and current engineering technology, areas that can be vastly improved are, suspensions, brakes, plumbing, HVAC, roof materials and design.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last trailer had the never lube bearings installed and were great the whole time we owned the trailer. It was suggested if I wanted to carry a spar set to have them installed into a hub. Not many places stock them and you need a press to replace so best to carry an extra hub with the never lube in place.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those sealed bearings in cars are a big seller in auto parts stores, so they do go bad too.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing like bearings that have been hand packed with a thick, sticky high temperature bearing grease--like Lucas' red grease. You can get it at Walmart for $4.99 a tube.

It doesn't leak out the rear seals and ruin the brake pads like the thin, injected "grease" Lippert uses.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast