User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresh water tank (6 mos. Same water)?

Before we got to our destination, about 6 months ago, we had a storm come through so I filled the fresh water tank.
    Never needed.

My thought was to put bleach in and sanitize for a few hours with that water still in there....then dump and rinse.

I need to change my filter cartridges anyway, so I was going to pull the filters and add bleach there then power fill (city hookup).

Sound like a good plan? Qty of bleach if anyone remembers.....thanks.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw 1/4 cup bleach to 1 gallon water for every 15 gallons of water in the tank.

Owners Manual:
    Sanitizing the Fresh Water System
    Use the following procedures to sanitize your Fresh Water System (or Potable Water System) when it is new, becomes contaminated, or has not been used for a period of time.
    • Prepare a chlorine solution using one (1) gallon of water and one-quarter (1/4) cup of household bleach (5% sodium hypochlorite solution).
    • Prepare approximately one (1) gallon of solution for every fifteen (15) gallons of holding tank capacity.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Standard recommendation is 1/4 cup per 15 gallons. Pre-dilute it first, by mixing with 1 gal water. Let stand for 3 hrs, or more.

Although odds are low that there is much growing in there, if there is it could use up the bleach right away, and there would not be enough residual to finish the job. I would just dump what is in there, refill with fresh, and then add the bleach. Let rest, dump and ignore. I'd skip the rinse in this case, since you don't use the tank normally. What little bit might be left won't hurt anything, and it will degrade within a day on its own anyway. If in the future you do decide to use water from the tank, I'd redo the sanitizing first, this time with a good rinse before the final fill.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And remember... don't use any chlorine-based bleach if you're doing this on a septic system.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.....probably over thinking it
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulled out filters from my Clearsource filter, added bleach an water to one cannister (no filter) and power filled the tank....took opportunity to check gallons till full. Picked up a flow meter and got 49 gallons till overflow. Rated for 54 supposedly NOT including water heater......

Next test is to see how many gallons of usable water I can use before it stops pumping.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.