User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Converting your RV Fridge to a High Efficiency DC Compressor

I've seen and participated in a few threads on here about mods to make refrigerators installed in slides cool better. A friend who has a residential fridge sent me the following link this morning - it's a little long but very interesting. There is a company that makes a conversion kit to turn your fridge into a residential unit - I don't understand the wiring part, and had some questions, but this may be a great alternative to buying a replacement - simply convert the one you already have and fits in the spot it was designed to fit in.

They talk about different wiring configurations at the end - apparently you can make it run on 12vdc and kits are available for Dometic double door fridges - not sure how this works while underway, or if there is a need for a converter. Thoughts on this conversion would be appreciated.

https://youtu.be/Yte1V3CkDrw
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ram BigHorn 3500 CTD

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thought of conversion is interesting but....First you have to sit through the video. I did not last 10 mins into it and gave up. To me he seemed to be rambling and it is 34 mins long. How far in does the guy start showing the conversion?
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He does a very good job explaining his retro to their fridge and how it improved it's operation after the retrofit. We are looking at doing this to our 315 RLTS. Thank you for sending this out to others to view. It seems a better solution than putting in a residential fridge this compressor setup is tailerd to run efficiently on DC current.