User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    jimposey, I merged the 2 threads you started together. Please start only one thread on a subject, it helps keep the board easier to navigate especially when searching.
    I understand but the first thread was about a different rig vs. the 303 and then we changed and started looking at 29 vs 303 and not the 295

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimposey View Post
    I understand but the first thread was about a different rig vs. the 303 and then we changed and started looking at 29 vs 303 and not the 295
    The extra 5 went right past me. I'm very sorry. I will see if it can be un merged. but not sure it can.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a problem, just want to comply with forum rules as it is a great source of info!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 303 will put you over payload. We pack our 303 on the heavy side when we head south for the winter and the pin is a little over 2100. Then theres the stuff that goes in the back of the truck.

We're partial to the 303 for many reasons the big one being on road access to fridge, bed and bathroom. We also like the 2 entries to the bath. Especially nice if you have company staying the night.
    You have to decide what featurs are most important, go sit in each unit for an hour or so and poke around with extended trips in mind. Then think long and hard about loading the truck and what you are comfortable towing weight wise. Or just say screw it and get a 1 ton
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a complicated thing, this payload and F250 versus F350 debate. First of all, it's not a question, whether your truck can pull a load, it's rather about safety in precarious situations. F350 has an upgraded suspension.

Pin weight will depend not only on built of the trailer, but also on how you distribute the stuff you load. More weight in the back will lift the pin, more towards the front will force it down, for instance fresh water full and black/gray empty versus the other way around (assuming fresh is in the back). Builders aim for 20% pin weight loaded. A full timer will load more stuff than a weekender. That's why you only can get hints and estimates.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2020 HD 250/2500 seem to have a lot more carrying capacity. You may very well be under capacity with a proper 3/4 ton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We love our 295rL. We looked at the 303 but didn’t see enough difference that we needed to justify the extra weight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cqyqte View Post
    A quick look at the dry numbers for a 303RLS, the unloaded pin weight is 1685 lbs and the dry unloaded weight of the trailer is 9265 lbs. Fully loaded the trailer weighs 11999 lbs which will bump up the pin weight to approximately 2182 lbs, so do yourself a favour, take your current F250 load its bed and cab with all the stuff you would normally carry in the truck when camping drive to your local scales and weigh the truck. Then take that number you get from the scales and subtract it from the GVWR number stamped on the door sticker from your F250 if the number you get is less than or equal to 2182 lbs then I would say look for a bigger truck or smaller trailer. If you cross your fingers and go ahead and buy a trailer rated on the sticker as too heavy for the rating on your tow vehicle, in the event you get yourself in any accident those two sticker ratings will be your worst nightmare $$$$!

Now I can hear every nah sayer screaming "tow police" but think about this one very important fact, insurance companies are always looking for ways to not have to payout on a claim. If the numbers suggest that your trailer is too heavy for your tow vehicle, you will have given them a perfect reason to say "not covered".
    Spot On!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went with 295RL. I wanted Square shower vs Radius (I thought it was a little bit bigger). I also wanted access to bedroom and the fridge when slides are closed.
    I also upgraded to F350 DRW from F250 since we went over truck GVWR when RV connected.
    Sometimes I wish I would have purchased F350 SRW Gaser or Diesel. But then I always see here "there is no such a thing as too much truck".
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are multiple excel spread sheet forms on the internet that show you all the right numbers for GVWR and payload. Look it up, its worth it. most of the 250/2500's are pulling too much weight (by the book) Insurance issue makes me think twice about no following the weight rules!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast