User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are doing the same research. The 310GK had been our first choice and may still be our final choice. GD made some changes to the galley island for 2020 which moved the end facing cabinet to face the galley. We prefer that. We would also prefer the drawers beside the oven we’re not behind a door. Love the windows and love the tank capacities. We hoped they might have upgraded to a solid surface counter and under mount sink in the bathroom. Also would have liked to have seen them put a remote MaxAir fan in the bathroom. Our habits have us using our existing under bed storage to its capacity and would prefer no drawer as in the 310GK. We would order with a queen bed as room around the bed is more valuable than sleeping space for us. Last, I would prefer a 12” I beam frame as opposed to the 310GK’s 10”. Lots of opinions on the GD stealth AC system vs return ducted whisper systems but neutral sites leaned towards whispers being quieter.
    We are now leaning toward a Montana 3120RL with Legacy Package. Its pricing out similar to the 310GK. The Legacy Package adds several things including painted fibreglass rear cap, hardwood stiles in the cabinetry, inCommand control, power cord reel, gen prep, and the big one for me...disc brakes. We like the drawer layout in the kitchen and the much larger pantry although the island and stove counter are slightly shorter. All four doors of the fridge are fully accessible with both slides in and there is now a window over the stove. The bathroom now has a pocket door, much larger linen than the 310GK and an under mount stainless sink in a solid surface counter. The under bed storage is a little unconventional in that there are two areas. One accessed by lifting at the foot of the bed and the other “secret” area accessed by lifting the head of the bed. It would work for us. The 3120RL has a squared off front closet and laundry cabinet which seems to make for more room. We like the tilt out laundry hamper cabinet in the closet. The basement is larger in the 3120RL. The frame is 12” and CCC is about 4000 pounds. It comes from the factory with Sailun G rated tires. The 3120RL is 96” wide verses 101” for the 310GK but we didn’t feel it.
    We are yet to decide but very much like both models. We looked at Vanleigh (online) but among other things, there is no dealer anywhere near and ruled them out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also looked at the Montana 3120, a few things we did not like were the rear tank dump valve is behind the rear wheel under the trailer and we were trying to stay away from that, also my wife hit her knee very hard on the dining table support. Of course we ended up with the Reflection though we did look at the Solitude last week. Am glad they finally put a window over the cooktop as the wife loves that
    Don and Brenda
    2014 F350 CC Platinum SRW SB
    2019 Reflection 337 build 8/19
    Andersen ultimate rail mount

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What compares to 310GK

Quote Originally Posted by mclord View Post
    We are doing the same research. The 310GK had been our first choice and may still be our final choice. GD made some changes to the galley island for 2020 which moved the end facing cabinet to face the galley. We prefer that. We would also prefer the drawers beside the oven we’re not behind a door. Love the windows and love the tank capacities. We hoped they might have upgraded to a solid surface counter and under mount sink in the bathroom. Also would have liked to have seen them put a remote MaxAir fan in the bathroom. Our habits have us using our existing under bed storage to its capacity and would prefer no drawer as in the 310GK. We would order with a queen bed as room around the bed is more valuable than sleeping space for us. Last, I would prefer a 12” I beam frame as opposed to the 310GK’s 10”. Lots of opinions on the GD stealth AC system vs return ducted whisper systems but neutral sites leaned towards whispers being quieter.
    We are now leaning toward a Montana 3120RL with Legacy Package. Its pricing out similar to the 310GK. The Legacy Package adds several things including painted fibreglass rear cap, hardwood stiles in the cabinetry, inCommand control, power cord reel, gen prep, and the big one for me...disc brakes. We like the drawer layout in the kitchen and the much larger pantry although the island and stove counter are slightly shorter. All four doors of the fridge are fully accessible with both slides in and there is now a window over the stove. The bathroom now has a pocket door, much larger linen than the 310GK and an under mount stainless sink in a solid surface counter. The under bed storage is a little unconventional in that there are two areas. One accessed by lifting at the foot of the bed and the other “secret” area accessed by lifting the head of the bed. It would work for us. The 3120RL has a squared off front closet and laundry cabinet which seems to make for more room. We like the tilt out laundry hamper cabinet in the closet. The basement is larger in the 3120RL. The frame is 12” and CCC is about 4000 pounds. It comes from the factory with Sailun G rated tires. The 3120RL is 96” wide verses 101” for the 310GK but we didn’t feel it.
    We are yet to decide but very much like both models. We looked at Vanleigh (online) but among other things, there is no dealer anywhere near and ruled them out.
    Go look at Van Leigh rv’s maybe a Vilano. I was in grants Pass This summer part next to solitude three£.44 and the guy had a hot water tank leak. He was an HVAC repairman and I watched as he tore apart the basement of the solitude to fix the tank. His comment to me was look at the mess of wires and water lines Hidden behind the basement walls. Change my mind about trading in our reflection for a solitude. Went and found Vanleigh and bought a Pinecrest. I’d highly recommend you go look at these trailers interior furniture the construction is definitely superior for not that much more money. They have a solitude competitive trailer called theVillano and then they have a Sapir your model called the Beacon. These are made by Tiffin and have only been on the market three or four years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just got back from a 3-week trip to Idaho; we picked up our unit in June and did two local trips prior to our long trip; only 3 times did we stay at the same campground for 2 nights- otherwise we were constantly on the move (we were on a tight time budget).

I gotta say our 310 performed flawless; everything worked as designed (and we used everything); I didn’t even have to add air to the tires.

We did stop in Elkhart and got the GD factory tour- highly recommended if you get a chance.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    We saw the Vanleigh's at the Tampa RV show. It does appear that Vanleigh copies GD. We didn't like the feel of them though. What I mean by that is when you start to do things like opening the cabinets. When you open the cabinet's they wobble, like they are cheap and thin. Didn't get the feeling of liking them like I do with the GD products.
    @Sowbug we may have been at the Vanleigh with Marcy and Gary - we too saw it in Tampa. They've got good exterior design that imparts a quality appearance from outside, but the impression fades inside.

@lrhuggins point about the mess of wiring and plumbing in the basement of the Solitude is certainly valid - they just hurl things together down there. Some people take the time to re-cut and re-work everything into neat bundles the way it probably SHOULD be done, but OTOH some of us just plan to do that and never do, without serious consequence.
    Last edited by boyscout; 08-24-2020 at 11:01 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Alliance 310RL is very similar to the Solitude 310RL. We ended up ordering a Solitude 2930RL because we liked the bedroom layout with the front windshield over the bed. Looking at the sky at night when camping is awesome. We considered all three of these as well as the Reflection 303RLS. All are great couple’s layouts with manageable lengths and easily towable with a 1 ton SRW truck.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just dropped our 2020 2930 Solitude off at the dealer for warranty work. The underbelly is full of water. Dealer thinks we have a split gray tank. Wont know until they drop the chloroplast and get up in there. While at the dealer we looked at the new Alliance 310RL and 340RL. we'd seriously give them consideration if back in the market. They have very solid floors, cabinets seem like higher quality

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about the wiring mess in GSs. But, except for the wire harness that Tiffin (VanLeigh) uses, all the RVs are like that. But if you did deep you will see that the Tiffins wire harness are a bit universal and even they bundle excess wire loops in places in their shorter RVs. My biggest complaint about the Tiffins is it felt like an immature made the cabinets and it tended to give the interior a wood cabin feel - too much wood, not enough decoration maybe?

One more comment on Tiffin - about water heaters... I replaced on in a Tiffin motorhome in a campground in Kamloops, Canada on a trip some years back - so it's kind of all over the place when/where and appliance (not made by the RV manufactures) will fail, stuff happens.....

And a few comments on the Momentums.....
    > check what kind of inverter they use
    > check what they use for an underbelly material on the slide outs
    > check thieir width
    Those are all minus items IMO. The pluses are:
    > electric reel option for the cord power cord
    > day night shades (although the day shades can make one dizzy with the wavy material they use
    > full fiberglass rear cap (not sure it makes a difference functionally, but it is a nice touch
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps a little larger than you like, but the Northwoods Arctic Fox 35-5Z has a similar floor plan and great specs. Already has upgraded suspension (shocks, wet bolts etc...), heavier frame, lots of CCC, dual pane glass, Goodyear tires and good customer service. It is not a GDRV and has a different feel. If you can find a local dealer it may be worth a walk thru.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    We had looked into the Tiffin Vanleigh Vilano fifth wheels, but never did find one "in person" to look at near us. The 320GK looks almost identical to my 310GK.
    Rob M
    When we were in the market for a new rig both the Solitude 310GKR & Vilano 320GK were at the top of our list.

Floor plans are basically identical, however the items listed below with-in the Vilano 320GK are the deciding factors we used to make our Grand Design purchase.

[*]Low Hanging Cabinetry on Dinette Slide / Visibility is obstructed
    [*]Missing window behind TV / Lost visibility
    [*]Missing window in bedroom, we LOVE seeing the shooting stars at night
    [*]Square footage with-in the bedroom closet, less depth
    [*]40-50% smaller bedroom dresser
    [*]30% Smaller kitchen island, storage area lost
    [*]Wood doors on cabinetry, we prefer frosted glass for visibility
    [*]Bathroom felt smaller/tighter
    [*]Holding Tank Capacities

Fresh Water 70 gals / Solitude 310 93 gals
    Grey Water 90 gals / Solitude 310 100 gals
    Black Water 45 gals / Solitude 310 50 gals

Capacity increase no matter how little is beneficial for our boondocking

Solitude 310GKR has a few item provided by Grand Design we felt are beneficial for our camping style and we couldn't be happier with our Solitude 310GKR decision.
    🏔 2 🏖

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12