User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Partial winterizing and de-winterizing

We just a quick cold snap in Clinton Montana where the temperature has fallen below freezing on and off for a few days. We are planning a trip starting October 9th. We did drain our tanks including the heater. Our plan is to start our trip and when we get to Provo for our first stop is to then connect to city water and fill the heater, etc. We did not use antifreeze. I is predicted to be below freezing when se have Wednesday morning.

Any comments are welcome.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannsh View Post
    We just a quick cold snap in Clinton Montana where the temperature has fallen below freezing on and off for a few days. We are planning a trip starting October 9th. We did drain our tanks including the heater. Our plan is to start our trip and when we get to Provo for our first stop is to then connect to city water and fill the heater, etc. We did not use antifreeze. I is predicted to be below freezing when se have Wednesday morning.

We just had that happen to us, this fall and last spring. We just turn the heat on, set it for 48 degrees or so, open the cabinets/drawers that are near the water/plumbing lines. I’d leave the water heater full, as there’s less chance of freezing.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    We just had that happen to us, this fall and last spring. We just turn the heat on, set it for 48 degrees or so, open the cabinets/drawers that are near the water/plumbing lines. I’d leave the water heater full, as there’s less chance of freezing.
    N
    I did blow out the plumbing i left the the heat on in the water tanks

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am getting ready to go hunting and the temps are supposed to drop into the low teens this weds and thursday, and while I am not worried about my hunting trailer, I totally forgot about the Solitude! I better blow it out tomorrow. I don't worry about upper 20's, but below 20 and bad things can happen.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    I am getting ready to go hunting and the temps are supposed to drop into the low teens this weds and thursday, and while I am not worried about my hunting trailer, I totally forgot about the Solitude! I better blow it out tomorrow. I don't worry about upper 20's, but below 20 and bad things can happen.
    Our Solitude in new and our dealer considered below 32 degrees should not be ignored. So we did not take a chance.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live 500 mi north of you and have yet to winterized the rv. Typically I don’t do it until the nightime temps dip below -10C. Been doing this for 30+ years, never had a problem.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Solitude in new and our dealer considered below 32 degrees should not be ignored. So we did not take a chance.
    I am in the take the precaution camp. Fortunately for me, I can usually wait until right after Thanksgiving. That said, it's super easy to do, so for 3 bottles of antifreeze @ $2.60 a gallon and less than 30 minutes; the last time i have a scheduled trip around Thanksgiving, I will do it as a part of breaking camp.

I do it while I am hooked to shore power, let's me pump some through the washing machine. I don't have power where I store mine.

If I make an unplanned trip after that, it's worth spending $8 more dollars and doing it again.
    Last edited by Keebler; 10-07-2019 at 10:02 AM.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    I am in the take the precaution camp. Fortunately for me, I can usually wait until right after Thanksgiving. That said, it's super easy to do, so for 3 bottles of antifreeze @ $2.60 a gallon and less than 30 minutes; the last time i have a scheduled trip around Thanksgiving, I will do it as a part of breaking camp.

I do it while I am hooked to shore power, let's me pump some through the washing machine. I don't have power where I store mine.

If I make an unplanned trip after that, it's worth spending $8 more dollars and doing it again.
    Thanks for the comments. Looking at the weather for Wednesday, we are looking at a snowy day all the way to Idaho Falls. Driving slowly.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the Solitude blown out tonight, drained the hot water heater and dumped the fresh water tank. Our temps are supposed to drop to low teens which could mean single digits if the weather man misses the call. Now I am ready to go elk hunting in the old alumascape and try out my new diesel aux heater. more to come.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We store our RV in St. George, UT where the nighttime temperatures seldom get below freezing and never below 20 degrees. It is usually late Dec. or Jan. before temps drop into the 20s. We are planning a trip on Nov. 3 and had not winterized our Solitude 310GK-R. The polar express came and temps were forecast to get to 22 to 24 degrees. I didn't want to fully winterize the RV so I bought a small portable heater which I put in the basement pass thru. I removed the panel that allows access to the underbelly area of the RV where the pipes, valves, and tanks are located so heat would get into this area. The heater has a no-freeze setting where it will come on at 41 degrees and can be set to produce 750 watts or 1500 watts. Where I store the RV there is 15 amp power but use is restricted to battery charging or low wattage freeze protection.
    Jim and Sandi
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    2017Ram2500 Laramie HD 6.4 Hemi Andersen Hitch

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]