User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramcneal View Post
    I hadn't thought about the weight issue of the hitch. Definitely a valid point as you know the base of the B&W isn't light.
    Thanks everyone, after reading all your comments, I ended up buying the Mopar 30, which had never been used, for under a 1000 Canadian. The truck bed is 8 feet. It looks great in the 3500 dually and now I just have to buy the RV!
    Last edited by JesseBradbury; 10-09-2019 at 10:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseBradbury View Post
    Hi all, had a couple of questions regarding purchasing a hitch for a fifth wheel. We have a Dodge ram 3500 duallie but don’t have the trailer yet. Looking at getting the Solitude 375res. Being completely new to this, my questions might be silly! First question: 1) trailer loaded will be under 20,000lbs., but I have a chance to get a new Mopar fifth wheel hitch rated for 30,000lb for a good price. Is there a problem getting a hitch that is weight rated that much higher than the trailer I’ll be towing? Also, since I don’t have the trailer yet, are the hitches pretty standard and I don’t need to worry about the connection, or should I be waiting until I get the trailer and then buy a hitch specific for the trailer

Thanks everyone!
    Jesse
    We just came back from a 2200 mile trip. We were using a Andersen ultimate hitch with our solitude 375Res and rotoflex pin box. We blew out our back window of our F-350 6 3/4 bed. With research and a discussion our RV dealer we are going to a #2900 ISR Series 20K SuperGlide, Automatically Sliding Fifth Wheel Hitch for Short Bed Trucks. We had the Andersen hitch on a Reflection 29RS and the front of the Reflection did clear our F-350. The solitude front is much bigger than the reflection. The Andersen hitch was not the right fit fo the solitude.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannsh View Post
    We just came back from a 2200 mile trip. We were using a Andersen ultimate hitch with our solitude 375Res and rotoflex pin box. We blew out our back window of our F-350 6 3/4 bed. With research and a discussion our RV dealer we are going to a #2900 ISR Series 20K SuperGlide, Automatically Sliding Fifth Wheel Hitch for Short Bed Trucks. We had the Andersen hitch on a Reflection 29RS and the front of the Reflection did clear our F-350. The solitude front is much bigger than the reflection. The Andersen hitch was not the right fit fo the solitude.
    That extra 6" on the wide body"s can make a difference.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want to point out to any one reading this, that the reason they "Blew out their back window" is not because of the Anderson Hitch not working with the Solitude, but, it is because the Solitude did not work with their "Short Box" because of the Solitude's width. The Anderson Hitch would have worked just fine if they had a "Long Bed" truck.

By-the-way, I would have recommended the Reese GooseBox to the original Poster (they have a "Long Bed").
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I just want to point out to any one reading this, that the reason they "Blew out their back window" is not because of the Anderson Hitch not working with the Solitude, but, it is because the Solitude did not work with their "Short Box" because of the Solitude's width. The Anderson Hitch would have worked just fine if they had a "Long Bed" truck.

By-the-way, I would have recommended the Reese GooseBox to the original Poster (they have a "Long Bed").
    Thanks again for all the feedback, much appreciated! Why a Goosebox though?

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseBradbury View Post
    Thanks again for all the feedback, much appreciated! Why a Goosebox though?
    The GooseBox is Simple. The weight stays with the trailer and we are not hauling around an extra 400 lb hitch everywhere we go with the truck. I really like the simplicity of being able to remove the Hitch Ball and having the full bed available if needed. I also like that the hitch doesn't take up all the space inside the bed of the truck. I can fit my generator and a spare Propane tank inside the bed without interfering with the operation of the hitch.

Those are the reasons we bought the GooseBox, however, the reason I recommend it so highly is because of the ride. Honestly, sometimes it feels like the 5th wheel isn't behind the truck. With the GooseBox having an "Air Ride" suspension and shock dampening the ride is absolutely great!
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point. Our dealer should not have let us leave the lot with the Andersen hitch and the solitude. The dealer failed to understand the miss match and suggest the slider hitch. We did bring the Anderson hitch from our F-150 short bed to the F-350. The Dealer is helping us match the truck/hitch to the Solitude. I have learned more than I wanted to know about pin boxes and hitches. Live and learn. 🖖

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point. Our dealer should not have let us leave the lot with the Andersen hitch and the solitude. The dealer failed to understand the miss match and suggest the slider hitch. We did bring the Anderson hitch from our F-150 short bed to the F-350. The Dealer is helping us match the truck/hitch to the Solitude. I have learned more than I wanted to know about pin boxes and hitches. Live and learn. ��
    The first thing our dealer said when he found our what truck we had was that we needed a slider. He didn't ask - it was a statement. I didn't like the one they suggested, so they got what I wanted which was a Curt A16 w/slider.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Man I would love some bed space! I wonder if they make a goose box for my little 220RK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Man I would love some bed space! I wonder if they make a goose box for my little 220RK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, they make a 16k and a 20k version.

If you have the OEM Puck system in your truck it is almost a "No Brainer".

One note: the Hitch Ball for the Ford and GM are the same, Ram uses a different Puck System.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast