User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need tips for wiring through roof of 2500RL

I will be installing a Winegard TOGO. It is a dome-like device that mounts on the roof and a cable comes through the roof to a ON/OFF switch. I would like to put the switch near the main switch panel as you enter the trailer.

I have never done this before and would appreciate any tips. Or is it as simple as drill a 3/4" hole and fill 'er full of DICOR when you are finished?
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For solar wiring thru the roof, I picked a spot that allowed bringing the wires down so I could run them where I wanted and be concealed.

You'll want to avoid drilling into the air conditioning duct(s) if you have them. Some units have 2 ducts that run between the living room and bedroom.
    I don't recall how wide they are, maybe 6". Looking at the air conditioning vents in the ceiling gives an idea of where they are. I came close to one duct.

Above your main switch panel is probably an open wall space. In my case I had a pocket door that showed were the tank vent pipe went up thru the ceiling.

I used a hole saw on the roof. Where I drilled thru there was several inches to the interior ceiling.

I'd put sealant under the the kit's cable entry plate as well as on top of the plate(eternabond tape works good as well) and the cable where is fits under the plate.

Roof hole:

Ceiling hole:

Convenience Center, wires running to ceiling, yours could be different depending on location & number of wires running upward:
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On my unit the dealer used the vent stack chase (drilled a hole in the boot). It happened to be the back wall of the bath, This allowed him to get into the basement. If you pull the interior trim rings on your vents you can see into the attic, and possibly use a fish tape.

PS: You also probably have a TPO roof, so Dicor is NOT the correct product, There are several threads here on what to use (Alpha brand products}
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    For solar wiring thru the roof, I picked a spot that allowed bringing the wires down so I could run them where I wanted and be concealed.
    This makes me think although it would be nice for the power switch to be right next to the convenience panel it may be easier to look for 2 things; a route to a 12V source and a place where the cabinets meet the ceiling so I can conceal the exit point of the wire. Looking at it this way provides many more potential access points and avoid AC ducts etc. Thanks for the thought.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    On my unit the dealer used the vent stack chase (drilled a hole in the boot). It happened to be the back wall of the bath, This allowed him to get into the basement. If you pull the interior trim rings on your vents you can see into the attic, and possibly use a fish tape.

PS: You also probably have a TPO roof, so Dicor is NOT the correct product, There are several threads here on what to use (Alpha brand products}
    I guess I need to get up there and see what a vent stack looks like. I am familiar with the Alpha products for the roof, thanks for the reminder though
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    I guess I need to get up there and see what a vent stack looks like. I am familiar with the Alpha products for the roof, thanks for the reminder though
    I forgot to mention. On the bath wall (living room side) was a light switch and the T-stat. He removed both to see the wire coming down (you should also be able to see the vent stack in the wall). The vent stack will be a round pipe with no cap going through the roof (will have some sort of fitting (boot) at the roof surface. I would first pull the basement panel and see if you can see it going up. The vent pipe ties into the black tank and possibly the gray tank too. On my unit it is black in color.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar