User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why visually inspecting your brakes/bearings is a good thing.

First a little background, we took delivery of our new 2020 Reflection 311BHS on August 16th. It was towed 87 miles to the seasonal site we have. Factoring in the distance from the Grand Design factory to the dealership, and then to our campsite, this trailer has traveled about 570 miles. We are preparing to take it to Nashville for a week later this month when our campground closes for the season. That will add about 1600 miles to the rig and hopefully give it a decent shakedown to uncover any potential warranty issues.

One of the preparation tasks I decided to do was remove each of the wheels to visually inspect the brakes and condition of the bearings. It was a bit of work but I’m glad I did. Both wheel locations on the rear axle were fine as was the front driver side location. Everything looked good to go. When I did the passenger side wheel location on the front axle, I found the brakes were completely greased. I cleaned things up with copious amounts of Brakleen and looked for something that would have caused the seal to fail. What I found was about 1/3rd of the rubber seal circumference had what looked like a crease or a defect. I removed the old seal and replaced it. Luckily I had ordered a spare set of seals in preparation for this inspection in case packing was needed.

I’ll follow up with Grand Design to let them know of the issue I found.

Here are a couple pictures of the greased brakes and brake drum.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brake.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	22967

Name:	Drum.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	22968

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey F350,

STILL ??? I thought this issue had been resolved with the switch to Dexter axles ??

Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LCI axles would have had 4 out of 4 failed. It looks like a bad install on that seal or a defective seal installed.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks JCR,
    I thought that might be the case especially since my 307 came into dealership with all 4 wheels greased up in 2017 !!
    Luckily, I contacted Emily prior to delivery and she authorized all 4 brakes, etc. replaced before I picked it up.
    Thought I was all set, so took off for an 8 month cross country trip and when I returned, I planned on learning how to repack the bearings, so ordered new Timken seals from Lippert.
    Gave them my axle number for reference, only to find out that GD had installed the wrong axles on my trailer. 5200 # instead of the build design 6,000 # axles !!
    Good thing was GD replaced the axles with Dexter 6K with 3,000 # suspension springs, and all new five wheels and new tires.
    Never did check them out for this, but they grab and stop well.
    Due for a repack now and inspection, but Dexter's come with the EZ Lube zerk fittings and I would like to try it once to see if it really forces out old grease without blowing out seals !!

Whatcha think ?? (altho I already think I know what you'll say..lol )

Michael

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't do it! Visual inspection of all parts and hand packing is always better
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Due for a repack now and inspection, but Dexter's come with the EZ Lube zerk fittings and I would like to try it once to see if it really forces out old grease without blowing out seals !!

Whatcha think ?? (altho I already think I know what you'll say..lol )

Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Count me as a " Don't do it ", you may regret the shortcut. Hand packing is the best !!!!!!
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some pics of the seal I replaced from the greased drum.
    This one shows the area of damage. It almost looks like it was rolled under when the drum was installed on the axle.

Name:	Seal_damage.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	22994

This shows what the edge should look like.

Name:	Seal_ok.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	22995

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OKAY !!!!

I get it...now I gotta figure out HOW its done, in a storage lot.
    in 90 degree heat here in Flori-dah !!

Thanks for nada !! Lol
    Michael

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did what you are considering, drove about 1000 miles round trip, and all is fine.

It took a little less than 2 tubes of grease for 2 axles (including greasing wet bolts...).

Blowing out a rear seal is a real concern. I did the following:

Left the grease gun and new tubes of bearing grease in the sun for hours. Pulled the trailer for about 20 minutes to warm up the bearings. Raised the tires off the ground (hydraulic levelers). Checked for bearing play and smooth rotation of wheels. Visually check brakes (Disc. Trailer almost new.) Added grease SLOWLY while rotating the wheel. Continued until fresh grease was visible on the outside of the outer bearing. (This process took hundreds of pumps on the hand lever grease gun.) Checked that therear seals were in place and no grease visible.

Displacing all the air from the spindle cavity is time consuming...but once done subsequent greasing should be much faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no brakes, and found seals no properly installedhttps://m.facebook.com/groups/605738313199185?view=permalink&id=795568364216178

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast