User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyFisher View Post
    So my tires are 3750 lbs at 80 psi, so my combined weight limit is 7500 lbs correct?
    Here is the order of overloading.....first is Payload, and once you are over the payload, that automatically puts you over the GVWR of the truck. Next in line is the Rear Axle Weight Rating (RAWR), then lastly is the tires......Load Capacity rating. So when someone has to get higher rated tires to carry the load on the truck, they are over Payload, GVWR, and RAWR. So if you are running 3800 lbs of pin weight, which is certainly a possibility if the trailer is loaded fully, you will most likely be over all four items I mentioned above.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if it's the same in the USA but in Canada we have random roadside checks on commercial vehicles and RVs. I've traveled a fair bit in the US and haven't been checked yet but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. In Canada the roadside check on RVs consists simply of you driving over a portable scale one axle at a time.

* For the tow vehicle they check each axle, front and rear, to be sure you're not over the ratings that are posted on the sticker on your door and then they add the two axles loads to make sure you're not over your GVW.

* For the trailer they check each axle and make sure you're not over the rating for that axle (tag on axle) plus they add up the axles loads and check against trailer GVW. Generally if each axle is within the rated limit, you're good on the trailer.

* Then they add all your axles loads together and check against your GCW on your tow vehicle.

May sound like a lot but it only takes them five minutes to do this.
    As an RV owner you should be doing this yourself for piece of mind.

In Canada, ( DOESN'T MATTER WHAT MODS YOU'VE DONE ) if you get caught with an axle (any axle) loaded greater than the GAWR on the sticker on the door you'll be asked to drop your trailer and leave it behind. If you get caught over your tow vehicle sticker GVW or GCW they won't let you continue, period. And they'll fine you $$$.

As XRATED mentioned above, increasing load capacity on tires won't help, neither will adding air helper springs, etc. Once you're over the factory rating, you're over.

Sorry, don't mean to be a downer but at very least thought you should know if you plan on coming North across the border.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the same in the USA but in Canada we have random roadside checks on commercial vehicles and RVs. I've traveled a fair bit in the US and haven't been checked yet but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. In Canada the roadside check on RVs consists simply of you driving over a portable scale one axle at a time.

* For the tow vehicle they check each axle, front and rear, to be sure you're not over the ratings that are posted on the sticker on your door and then they add the two axles loads to make sure you're not over your GVW.

* For the trailer they check each axle and make sure you're not over the rating for that axle (tag on axle) plus they add up the axles loads and check against trailer GVW. Generally if each axle is within the rated limit, you're good on the trailer.

* Then they add all your axles loads together and check against your GCW on your tow vehicle.

May sound like a lot but it only takes them five minutes to do this.
    As an RV owner you should be doing this yourself for piece of mind.

In Canada, ( DOESN'T MATTER WHAT MODS YOU'VE DONE ) if you get caught with an axle (any axle) loaded greater than the GAWR on the sticker on the door you'll be asked to drop your trailer and leave it behind. If you get caught over your tow vehicle sticker GVW or GCW they won't let you continue, period. And they'll fine you $$$.

As XRATED mentioned above, increasing load capacity on tires won't help, neither will adding air helper springs, etc. Once you're over the factory rating, you're over.

Sorry, don't mean to be a downer but at very least thought you should know if you plan on coming North across the border.
    I’m unaware of roadside checks for private RVs in the US. They would have a field day with some of the wacky setups I’ve seen on the interstate. I am familiar with the 375 it is a large unit and I can’t imagine towing it with a SWR one ton truck.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a great thread in the Reference Library on calculaing tow capacity, It's a great read and educational for anyone towing
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/showthread.php/14865-How-To-Determine-Your-Truck-s-Trailer-Towing-Capability
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimmy, we have similar Solitude that has exact same weights. We have the Ram 350 SRW and in 2018 it had a payload capacity of 3,800 lbs and the new 2020 350 is now rated at 4,200 lbs (I am rounding up). The increased rating was Torque and Tranny upgrade but same rig and this tells me for a Ram 350 SRW you should be safe up to 4,200 lbs.
    As others have stated it is all about the Payload Capacity and the Tires are the limiting factor at 3,800 each (no matter what make 18). If you do all the math of truck weight front to rear you have just over 4,200 lbs to work with. I check with a Tire Guru and he indicated you can overload these tires but they will wear very quickly and he was not concerned about another 200 to 300 per tire.

So here is the the remedy if your staying with the SRW or at least what we have done. First don't add a washer dryer or generator...then a DRW is the only option.
    What we do is load up the back of the rig on long trips ....... the rear has a chesterfield and we use folding crates between the slides and my guess we put 300 lbs inside in the back. Also I had a custom Aluminum box mounted on the rear bumper (12x26x48) to house softener/filter system/compressor/Honda 2000 ..... this put another 300 lbs in the rear. After this procedure which we have down to science we still have a pin weight of 3,300 lbs and on top of that with mother and I and the Hitch and 40 Gallon Titan tank we are sitting at 4,000 plus lbs of payload.

It rides perfectly and we feel safe but it take some effort before our travel from Ontario to Florida.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me in the camp that says the 375 is definitely DRW territory. I actually think you could be over your RAWR in addition to the GVWR. I need to go look at my CAT scale data to confirm.

Edit: I found my old CAT scale sheet. It looks like I was ~ 3750 lbs on my rear axle with the stock truck, driver & passenger, big B&W sliding hitch, and tonneau cover. My RAWR is 7230 lbs, so that leaves about 3480 lbs of capacity on the rear axle. It looks like you could be under the RAWR depending on what hitch you get and how you load the truck/trailer. I still say DRW is the better choice for handling a big fifth-wheel.
    Last edited by backtrack2015; 10-18-2019 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Extra info. Found my files.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12