Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slideout

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slideout

Anyone have problems with their slideouts on the imagine travel trailers? Looking at The XLS22RBE & 2250RK, went to RV show @ Tacoma Dome & we were looking at the cougar 22' & 24'. Got to talking to the keystone rep, i understand that was my first mistake, and he was saying the aluminum rails & gears on the imagine trailers are known to get chewed up and have to be replaced & the motors are known for getting out of sync as there are 2 motors. He says the cougar uses 1 motor and steel rails for their slide so it is superior? Any truth to what he said? This will be our first TT so trying to weed our way thru all the bull crap the rep's and salesman tell us!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The system with the aluminum rails and gears you are referring to is made by Schwintek. The Imagines are not the only GD product to use them, nor is GD the only manufacturer to use them, , I think.

As for the gears getting chewed up? I've never read about that before, but I would imagine that if you never cleaned the rails and never lubricated them then that might be an issue.
    As for the Schwintek motors getting out of sync, about the only thing that causes that is if you do not move the slide it's full range of travel. So if you partially open the slide, stop, then reverse it, you might have some issues. What keeps the motors in sync is when you open or close the slide, you keep the button depressed for an additional 5-7 seconds after the slide stops moving. That syncs the motors.

The one motor steel rail system you refer to is generally used on larger heavier slides. The Schwintek systems are not robust enough for a long life of moving heavy slides.

The Imagine 2970RLs (like ours) and I think the 2950 uses both the Schwintek slide system on the smaller kitchen slide and the single motor rack and pinion type on the heavier curb side slide. But I'm sure even with the rack and pinion type, if you don't keep it clean and lubricated and over use the clutch in it, it will eventually fail as well.

Hope That helps.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 4 year old Solitude has 3 Schwintek electric slides and aside from some wiring issues (that were corrected on later models), there have been no problems.
    It's worth pointing out that, contrary to earlier comments, you should never lube the aluminum rails. Lippert (the manufacturer)is quite clear about this. There is an excellent video on YouTube detailing proper operation and specifically how to lube the drive gear.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TyeeMan View Post
    What keeps the motors in sync is when you open or close the slide, you keep the button depressed for an additional 5-7 seconds after the slide stops moving. That syncs the motors.
    Interesting. The dealer never told me that. I have been afraid to keep the slide button depressed after it reached the end of travel. So, you are saying it is safe and actually syncs the motors?
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, that's what I'm saying. If you do a search on this forum for Schwintek slides you will see other folks saying that as well.

Actually, it might even say it in your owners manual.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely check out the How to lube a Schwintek slide video on you tube! Easy to do and I’m convinced it avoids problems. No, don’t put anything in the gear tracks, but DO keep them clean! We periodically hose them when the slide is out, or brush them with a hand-held workbench broom (keep that handy for brushing off our steps).
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thing to know about the Shwintek slides...If you notice that it is, in fact, out of sync, that is, one side is further in than than other, you can re-synchronize it by running it out about mid-way and then run it in and out 6 to 8 inches three or four times. It will straighten itself out. If at first you don't succeed, do it again. I have done this several times after pulling the motors to repair the wiring defect.
    By the way. I have found the folks at Lippert to be very helpful if there are questions.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rack and gear slides almost never fail and can't get out of sync.
    One motor instead of 4 motors. Way less to fail.
    Schwintek slides are better suited for smaller slides.

Tank position has a lot to do with which slide mechanism is used. With the rack type you have to position the tanks out of the way of the rails. With the Scwintek the slide mechanism is above the floor so the tanks and anything else under the floor can fit where ever needed.

Rack type are also heavier. If a MFG is trying to keep weight down then the Schwintek helps achieve that.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Rack and gear slides almost never fail and can't get out of sync.
    One motor instead of 4 motors. Way less to fail.
    Schwintek slides are better suited for smaller slides.

Tank position has a lot to do with which slide mechanism is used. With the rack type you have to position the tanks out of the way of the rails. With the Scwintek the slide mechanism is above the floor so the tanks and anything else under the floor can fit where ever needed.

Rack type are also heavier. If a MFG is trying to keep weight down then the Schwintek helps achieve that.
    There are actually only 2 motors with a Schwintek slide. They are located at the top corners of the slide and engage the lower racks via shafts and gears.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    There are actually only 2 motors with a Schwintek slide. They are located at the top corners of the slide and engage the lower racks via shafts and gears.
    True. My bad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast