User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not personally worked with this company but have heard a few good things.

https://wehaulrvtransport.com/our-co...l-rv-transport

Lyle
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you're all well! Machinery can be replaced.

You don't mention if the accident was clearly the fault of another. If it was, you can recoup the transport costs to get your camper home. There are many haulers for hire, and there are websites where they bid on the job. Just be sure whomever you hire is licensed and insured and you want them to sign an affidavit of condition before they haul it. This way all existing damage or blemishes are identified and the condition agreed to in writing. Don't need more issues on top of your TV.

If you were at fault, your regular vehicle insurance will not do anything since the trailer was not in tow. It would be out of pocket unless you have third party roadside assistance type coverage.

For a private, contract, bonded hauler, you should expect in the field of a $1,000 tow plus tolls. If you're really over 12 hrs away, and where there's little opportunities for a back haul it will probably be close to double that.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call Youngblood RV, the Grand Design in Paducah, and tell them your dilemma. (270) 443-8211

They have a satellite store in Mayfield, just west of you. Maybe they have haulers working for them. This is a large dealer with a very good reputation.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not rush to replace the Tow vehicle. I would do what others have said and have the insurance company take care of getting you home and the Solitude home. That is what you have been paying them for all these years. Let them work for you.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I agree it would be good to have some way for others to have access to this type of information. I've received a couple of quotes so far, one from WeWilTransportIt, one from Horizon Transport and one from Star Fleet, however, Star Fleet never has called back to confirm if they have anyone available to actually move it. We are in the $1200 to 1500 range. Horizon can't give me a date for when they can move it, only within the next week, where WeWillTransportIt can move it quickly but are the higher price. Might save in rental car fees and campground fees though. I just requested a quote from wehaulrvtransport though their website gives me the impression that they may be more local so not able to get here for awhile. We'll see how it goes.

KY appears to be a no fault state, but we were the ones who went into the intersection. There was construction in the intersection and the temporary stop sign had been turned backwards so we thought it was for the traffic coming the other way. We have State Farm insurance and the only thing they will tell me at this point is to submit the claim and they will review, since we do have road side assistance through them. It sounds like they are going to try to go after with the county or the state for reimbursement as we have documentation of the stop sign being incorrectly placed, and the deputy had it moved into place after she recorded things for her report. We just pray that the people in the Mustang that hit us are all ok. Our beast of a Dodge did a good job protecting us.

The really sad part is we just got the truck back last Monday after having the transmission go out on us as we pulled into a campground in PA. So we've got a new $7000 transmission in the truck ��. It's been a really tough couple of weeks and I just want to get home at this point.
    Mark, Linda and Riley (RIP 6/17/20)
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn Dually LB
    B&W Companion hitch

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are members of FMCA, they have travel Insurance and a program to get your rig back home in case of emergencies.

If the prices are around 1500, you could buy a decent used truck and sell it as soon as you get home, if you make a good deal you could probably break about even on the sale of the truck when you get home. This is just a thought.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am truly sorry for your problems. I have been in similar situations. I now carry the Good Sam Platinum roadside assistance and the Good Sam Travel Assist insurance. It is not perfect, but they have towed my RV to a reasonable location on two separate occasions, not great, but they got it done.

Insurance companies have resources, if covered go with that.

There are other roadside assistant programs that will do as well, you just have to shop and decide.

The facebook page is: Grand Design Emergency Alliance When you join they will ask you what model of gd product you have, that's about it. Responses tend to run about 12 hours behind op, but there are sometimes some really good responses. It's an avenue.

So, are you good to go, or do you still need help?
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindabf View Post
    We are looking for advice from others who have had an accident while traveling. We took our tow vehicle out tonight and were hit by another vehicle. With think our truck is totalled but need to wait for insurance to review. The problem is we are about 12 hours from home, in the middle of nowhere in Kentucky (Land Between the Lakes), and are not sure how to go about getting our Solitude home. I'm looking online for companies that tow 5th wheels. Or do we try to store it somewhere, rent a car to go home and regroup where we can buy a new vehicle without preasure? How have others in this situation handled this?

PS, we are both sore and shaken, but ok.
    Most RV dealers will tow it home for you for a fee. My insurance will cover the towing back home.
    See if there is a deal close and call them.
    Feel Better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can rent a tow vehicle through Enterprise. My son in law got a 3500 dually with a puck ball in the bed. I thought it was reasonable.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enterprise Truck rental

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast