User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I suspect that the study cited by @wakeupandwander was not for high profile vehicles like RVs. We have a few personal experiences that may offer some anecdotal evidence, though (we scale right at 14,000 lbs. consistently - all instances are with truck unhitched except for the ones when driving):

1) 60 MPH sustained winds with gusts to 75 MPH (measured) from the starboard quarter. Rig rocked but remained stable. The wind bashed the door into my head when I tried exiting to take something to my wife who was teaching a cooking class down at the clubhouse (Escapees co-op park in California).

2) 35 - 45 MPH sustained winds with higher gusts (measured) broadside in the Texas hill country. Again, rig rocked but remained relatively stable.

3) Driving in 35 - 45 MPH crosswinds with gusts to 55 MPH (per NWS for the area) in west Texas. I watched class A motorhomes having trouble maintaining their lane. Our rig tracked straight down our lane without wavering. I did have to put some extra pressure on the steering wheel in some of the gusts.

4) Not nearly as relevant as it was a tailwind... 45 - 50 MPH sustained with gusts to 65 on I-10 between Palm Springs and Indio in California. I was elated with the fuel mileage! I was "shooting the breeze" (sorry, couldn't resist the pun) with two UPS drivers who where waiting to swap trailers at the rest stop. They said it was like that through that slot quite frequently (perhaps that's why there are so many wind farms in that area). Standing outside, we had to keep our feet spread apart and lean into the wind to stay upright. Reminded me of my sailing days.

On travel days that are forecast to have high winds, I keep the fresh water tank full for an extra 560 lbs. of ballast down low. Our current DRW truck is more stable towing in high winds than our previous SRW truck was, too.

Rob
    That's some interesting info Rob.
    The day with 60 and gusts to 75; was the wind broadside or a headwind?

We have been at the Oregon Coast at Neskowin RV Resort with winds between 40 and 50 MPH gusts coming in sideways. The closes rv next to us was 5 spaces, so there was no help from the others in blocking the wind. The dinette slide in our old 380TH Momentum was a bigger slide ( 10 ft or so). The wind shook us a bit, but nothing to worry about.

Filling the water tank is a good idea. Having the extra weight is a plus and having water if the power goes out in the park is a win, win.

Ed
    You could put you truck on the windward side of your rig to help block some of the wind. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    The day with 60 and gusts to 75; was the wind broadside or a headwind?
    That was in a terraced site several hundred feet off the valley floor in Aguanga, CA (not moving). "Starboard quarter" is sailing lingo for a 45 degree angle from the front right of the trailer.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was in a terraced site several hundred feet off the valley floor in Aguanga, CA (not moving). "Starboard quarter" is sailing lingo for a 45 degree angle from the front right of the trailer.

Rob
    Copy that Rob.
    I missed the "from the starboard quarter" comment because I was feeling the bash in the head from the door. I was in the Navy and do still remember my port to starboard.

The wind coming in at an angle lessen the force of the wind, but being up on an elevated area didn't help.

KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... "Starboard quarter" is sailing lingo for a 45 degree angle from the front right of the trailer.

Rob
    All these years I have had that wrong. I thought Starboard Quarter was right rear.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was on an RV website, as to the exact study vehicles, they weren't listed.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went through a 4-5 hour long 70 mph storm on a Nevada dry lake bed in a 34' Class A motorhome in 2011. Wind direction was almost perpendicular to the coach orientation, say 65-70 degrees from the front. The coach swayed from side to side, and I was not very confident about the situation (but there was no getting out of it), but we did just fine. No damage. A friend left the awning out and it was ripped off with heavy damage to the TT.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    All these years I have had that wrong. I thought Starboard Quarter was right rear.
    You are right and I am wrong! The quarter is aft the beam. There is no equivalent term for the same angle off the bow... it would just be "forward of the starboard beam" or "45 degrees off the starboard bow." Thanks for setting me straight.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wakeupandwander View Post
    It was on an RV website, as to the exact study vehicles, they weren't listed.
    Just a tip: if you use "Reply With Quote" just to the right of "Reply," everyone will know to whom and what you are responding.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at the videos from the hurricane that hit the Bahamas, in the RV parks many of the rigs had shifted sideways until they were up against each other, but few if any overturned. Thus a stationary RV should generally withstand 100 mph winds. However when moving it is a totally different story. We drove our 5th wheel from Santa Fe to Gallup last year when the winds were cross winds at 50-60 mph. We and all of the other high-profile vehicles slowed to under 30 mph and appeared to make it thru ok. However, later that day two RV's and a semi truck (empty) were blown over on the freeway. Don't know the exact wind speed but it was around 60 mph and don't know how fast they were traveling. Headwinds and tailwinds don't cause as much of a problem but a headwind from 10 or 11 o'clock can cause havoc with steering. Best advice, don't travel in high winds and if you get caught unawares, slow way down or even stop if necessary.
    Jim and Sandi
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    2017Ram2500 Laramie HD 6.4 Hemi Andersen Hitch

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right and I am wrong! The quarter is aft the beam. There is no equivalent term for the same angle off the bow... it would just be "forward of the starboard beam" or "45 degrees off the starboard bow." Thanks for setting me straight.

Rob
    So your correction of my confusion was a correction to your confusion? You’re Welcome, or Thank You!
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast