User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Annoying Washing Machine Odor-Fixed!

Ok, I debated putting this under “appliances”, but I’ll likely never have a washer in my trailer (but I have owned and operated a small apartment sized machine).

Anyway, for the past month, I’ve experimented with different products- so-called washer cleaners, scented detergents/fabric softener, bleach (in the whites only loads), etc. Some worked ok, but just for the one load, some couldn’t be added to a load of laundry (waste of time/water).

I finally decided to add some distilled white vinegar to the wash and use only half the detergent. This works! We have a large capacity top-loader, with SS tub. I’ve added about 3-4 cups to each load, and cut back on the detergent (still use the fabric softener). Every load comes out smelling clean and fresh. The vinegar is way cheaper than costly detergent, and I’d think you could use less than the 3-4 cups in a smaller machine.

Used to dread laundry, now I kinda like it!
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brother-in-law once worked at an oil refinery. He discovered he could get the crude oil out by putting a can of pepsi (not diet) in the wash.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    Brother-in-law once worked at an oil refinery. He discovered he could get the crude oil out by putting a can of pepsi (not diet) in the wash.
    I’ve used “Goop” hand cleaner to remove pine resin and oily spots from clothing. Let it sit on the spot, wipe off, then follow up with letting Dawn sit on it for awhile before washing (to dissolve the Goop). Now that you mention it, when I lived in OK, everyone swore by using a can of Coke to remove smashed bugs on their vehicles (followed by an application of Pam, once they were cleaned off).
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L