User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No help from GD 5th wheel Reflectio freezes at 20-25 F

So much for the "arctic package". Assured by the salesman and Mark Arpin at GD that there should be no problems with my Reflection at temperatures down to 20F and even lower. Just happened again (has happened twice before), got down in the low twenties last nite and froze solid. Added a 4"ducted fan to move warm basement air into the belly (as a supplement to GD's duct), spent the time to get my lines up off the belly, where GD left them, insulated the low point drains and it still froze. Hard to keep your mind on hunting when you're worried about water lines blowing out and the associated expense.

But worst of all, when calling GD customer service, I am disrespected by being cut off before I can even complete the history on the problem and then the supervisor basically states that it's just the way it is and you're on your own. Gee, tough luck.

So here's the bottom line. If you're looking for customer service after the purchase, you probably won't get it from GD. Won't buy another and recommend potential customers to stear clear of GD and their disrespectful, uncaring customer service. Once they have your money they could care less about you!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what you can expect, you often need supplemental heat and to jury rig things a bit (insulate lines on an exposed belly, add heat, skirt etc) if you plan on staying in an area that is consistently below freezing. That is going to be the same with any rig, regardless of the price.

The thinner the walls, the more effort you need to exert and the colder the high temperature the more work is absolutely necessary.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary7707m View Post
    So much for the "arctic package". Assured by the salesman and Mark Arpin at GD that there should be no problems with my Reflection at temperatures down to 20F and even lower. Just happened again (has happened twice before), got down in the low twenties last nite and froze solid. Added a 4"ducted fan to move warm basement air into the belly (as a supplement to GD's duct), spent the time to get my lines up off the belly, where GD left them, insulated the low point drains and it still froze. Hard to keep your mind on hunting when you're worried about water lines blowing out and the associated expense.

But worst of all, when calling GD customer service, I am disrespected by being cut off before I can even complete the history on the problem and then the supervisor basically states that it's just the way it is and you're on your own. Gee, tough luck.

So here's the bottom line. If you're looking for customer service after the purchase, you probably won't get it from GD. Won't buy another and recommend potential customers to stear clear of GD and their disrespectful, uncaring customer service. Once they have your money they could care less about you!
    Sorry you've had that experience. Our experience with GD customer service is the total opposite. We've always been able to talk with a customer service rep immediately, with quick results.

Now, customer service at a DEALERSHIP after purchase, that's another story.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our customer service with GD has also been the opposite and very good. Why not consider escalating your customer service contact to a higher level and indicate you are doing so because of the poor service you received so far. GD has an excellent customer service reputation, so perhaps you reached a person having a bad day, no excuse of course but it happens. Because GD has a good reputation and try to maintain that reputation, contacting a higher up may be more responsive.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Customer service aside.. is your low point drains the only thing freezing?
    2015 Ram 3500 DRW Mega Cab Short Bed
    2019 Solitude 3350RL

Me, my wife (early 30’s), a dog, and a cat.
    Instagram: StillCamping

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As from his only other post...smell a troll.
    Eric & Sandra
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
    2000 Ford Excursion 7.3 Diesel 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talked to GD last year and took it to a dealer, they investigated but no help. The low point drains have been insulated and the lines that had been lying on the belly blanket have been spaced away from it with insulation. The trailer isn't "exposed to those kinds of environments for long periods of time". This time it took all of 4 hours to freeze. I have elevated the problem to management but they won't even make suggestion as to a fix much less offer help. But thanks for the help (TIC).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still camping: I shouldn't think it's the low points. They are insulated. The belly is getting plenty of warm air and still freezes. I foresee a complete blanket tare down to fix. Not a great solution for a "4 season " piece of equipment.

2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Gary7707m
    Surprised to see freezing issues so early in the fall. The water lines on my unit were strung out above the reflective material on the coroplast. They ran down the left side of my unit which is a 327. I also had a cold water line running to the rear of my unit and it was not insulted and was strung on the coroplast with no freeze protection. Last winter while in NM the temps got down to 23'F and I did not have any freezing issues. I did unhook the water line every night as a precaution. When I arrived back in British Columbia in March I made it a project to improve my freeze protection an did the following. I eliminated the cold water line to the back and put in an elbow to the island where there was a tee. I changed the water line from the elbow to the island to pex from soft plastic. I then insulated the cold and hot lines to the island with round form fitting insulating and then from the elbow to the low point drains. I added batt insulation along side of the lines to further insulate the area. As I was changing the black tank valve, I added styro foam board between the frames from the front storage back to just in front the the first set of wheels and also was able to put foam board from the spare tire cable forward to where the reflective material starts which is below the island, about 40". I also glued a 2" x 12" x12" foam board to the coroplast around the fresh water tank valve (the tank and valving is just slightly above the coroplast) and where the low point drains protrude out of the coroplast and covered the beefed up areas with coroplast repair material. (I also insulate the low point drains in the winter.) Also, added fiber glass insulation from the spare tire cable to the rear of my unit. (Now wish I had used rock wool.) To finish off, I sealed the edges of the coroplast to make it more waterproof and added two duckbill scupper drains (pictures somewhere on this site.) in case of water build up on top of the coroplast. My opinion is that the Arctic Insulation claim by GD is a big stretch and if you plan on cold weather camping, you should be prepared to beef up your unit. The protection on the water lines between the coroplast and the floor is only the reflective material, at least in my Reflection. As well, the workmanship above the floor is excellent, below the floor, not so much. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by chillybob; 10-10-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say you called GD did you call GD itself or a dealer. Dealer are known for not being very helpful. In fact it sounds like your salesman exaggerated a bit about the protection. which Reflection do you have. That might help get you some more specific help.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast