Likes Likes:  0
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Awning Problem, Need Suggestions

GD (or others). On my last trip, we saw that about 3 feet of the rubber cord that secures the awning fabric had slid forward and out of the track. It was hanging down along the front awing rail. I unrolled the awning, and saw that a corresponding three feet of awning material on the opposite side has pulled away from the roller. Every awning I've had in the past had screws at each end of the fabric to keep this from happening.

Any tips on how to get the fabric and rubber cord back in place? Once it's back in place, should I put screws in it to keep this from happening again?

Jim

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim - the same thing happened to mine a month or so ago, only I saw it when 6" was out rearward. I gripped the aluminum roller and turned it backward a bit to get tension off the awning and was able to feed the vinyl cord back into the track properly. (Yes, I have large hands !) As you mentioned, a small sheet metal screw was immediately used to secure the cord.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 303 awning has screws on both ends of railing. I Like Retread68's idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    GD (or others). On my last trip, we saw that about 3 feet of the rubber cord that secures the awning fabric had slid forward and out of the track. It was hanging down along the front awing rail. I unrolled the awning, and saw that a corresponding three feet of awning material on the opposite side has pulled away from the roller. Every awning I've had in the past had screws at each end of the fabric to keep this from happening.

Any tips on how to get the fabric and rubber cord back in place? Once it's back in place, should I put screws in it to keep this from happening again?

Jim
    My Reflection has the same issue. It is currently with the dealer. They should be pushing it back through and installing a screw but my guess is that they will just cut it.
    Paul
    North Bay, Ontario
    2014 Reflection 293RES
    VIN # 200283
    2014 Ram 2500

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliwalnutz View Post
    My Reflection has the same issue. It is currently with the dealer. They should be pushing it back through and installing a screw but my guess is that they will just cut it.
    Let's hope they don't "just cut it". If so, the fabric withoug the cord will pull loose from the awning roller. Mine already has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours had about 3" pulled loose on the front of the awning. I opened it about 12", got up on the roof and pulled it in to give it some slack with one hand, and slid the cord back in with a screwdriver. I had to wiggle the awning a bit, but it went back in. I will probably put a stainless screw with some silicone on each end to prevent it from moving again too!
    Sean and Donna Duling
    2015 Reflection 337rls #627
    1996 F-350 CC 4x4 DRW 7.3L
    Ferndale Wa.

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post

Jim
    Hi Jim (@TucsonJim),

Is this the same issue you posted on 08/04/14 at 11:34 pm in this prior thread: http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...ng+separating? If so, please review my reply in that same thread that is dated 07/11/14 at 5:06 pm. (Also, my understanding from your posts on that thread was that JD had sent repair parts ahead to your next location... If you did not receive them, we apologize and ask that you contact our Customer Support team at (574) 825-9679 to have the parts re-sent to you.)

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim - Thanks for the post. We have about 2" of cord showing on the back of our awning. This isn't the issue with pulling away from the camper, but sounds like you describe.

Retread58 and kw1970 - Thanks for the info on the fix. We'll do this either at the storage unit this winter or when we get to Florida in a few months.

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A