Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I have the wrong hitch?

I have the 1k equalizer on my 2600rb.

Was talking with someone on FB and they suggested I have too little tongue weight and too small a hitch. Their tongue weight was around 16%. Mine has been consistently around 10% but I don't ever have water in the tanks.

My hitch brings the truck back level, but with a gvwr of 7950 should I have the 1k/10k hitch or the 1.2k/12k?

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
    I have the 1k equalizer on my 2600rb.

Was talking with someone on FB and they suggested I have too little tongue weight and too small a hitch. Their tongue weight was around 16%. Mine has been consistently around 10% but I don't ever have water in the tanks.

My hitch brings the truck back level, but with a gvwr of 7950 should I have the 1k/10k hitch or the 1.2k/12k?

Thoughts?

How does the trailer tow? My buddy tows a 2600RB with the same hitch and has no complaints, although he uses a 3/4 ton GMC. I towed a 30 ft Jayco that was a bit lighter than yours with the same hitch and a 2003 half ton Silverado SS. Towed great.

I think your hitch should be fine. If you're having issues adjustments may help.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    How does the trailer tow? My buddy tows a 2600RB with the same hitch and has no complaints, although he uses a 3/4 ton GMC. I towed a 30 ft Jayco that was a bit lighter than yours with the same hitch and a 2003 half ton Silverado SS. Towed great.

I think your hitch should be fine. If you're having issues adjustments may help.
    I think it tows okay with my HT Chevy, but is a little bouncy at times. I can feel it tugging on the truck sideways. I've not felt out of control, but have rarely felt completely at ease. I'm new to towing though.

I'm changing to Bilstein shocks next weekend since my ranchos have 75k and was also thinking about trying to increase my tongue weight a bit.

What prompted the question was if my tongue weight was 15% at Max gvwr, I'd have a tongue weight near 1200lbs. I doubt I'd ever approach that as even our week-long trips never had the trailer above 6400lbs at the scales. But at 15% that's still over 900 lbs. Of course we've never carried water either.

2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth...

After we changed tires to GD Endurance, the bounce diminished greatly, and the sway decreased too. We tow with 1000# Blue Ox bars.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like running between 12% to 13% on the tongue weight. What tires are you running on the tv. When I was pulling a much lighter trailer that was 30 foot long with a half ton I knew it was back there whenever I hit the interstate. The truck would get pushed around every once in awhile. I up graded shocks and lt tires and it was an acceptable tow longs as I watched the speeds. The more I traveled over 60mph the more effect the wind had on the trailer, there was no sway but there was pushing and pulling. I understand that not all folks need or want a heavier truck especially when you don`t tow a lot and the truck is used for other things daily. When you are at or near the limits of a tow vehicle the outside forces will affect the tow more quickly. Example : same trailer, same hitch with the half ton it felt less stable the more I went over 60mph. Different truck same hitch and trailer it was good to 80mph before I felt it. That was just a test I don`t tow 80mph but I do like 65 to 68 on the interstate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Kenny & Susan "Freddie" on board
    2019 Reflection 297rsts
    2017 F250 6.2
    14k Equalizer

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anytime you tow you should have weight distribution bars, and a sway bar. That's what I have on my Jayco and pulled with a 1500 GMC, and now I have a GMC 2500. Never had any sway problem with either.