User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Running a/c on batteries

We’re currently dry camping on Lake Mead in Nevada. The solar is replacing electricity in the batteries as fast as we use it, running the 5,000 BTU window unit. The unit cost me $120 at Walmart and is stored in the pass-through.
    I can pop it into the window when needed and have it running in 2 minutes.
    Temps drop to about 50 at sundown here so no need for it then, but I could keep running it for several hours at night just off the battery reserve, since they’re staying fully charged.
    Anyway I just thought some folks might like to see what is possible with solar.
    I shot this video about an hour ago...

https://youtu.be/u3Fh4tEsi1A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Definitely provides options.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solar is on my list. We use a lot of air most of the year so it's held me back on doing it. I need to get serious about it and at least plan something out.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ed,

Looking good. 38 amps is less than my electric stove top. Tell us again how many panels and batteries you have. I remember your using Battle born Lithiums but I forgot how many you have in your system.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Running a/c on batteries

Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    Ed,

Looking good. 38 amps is less than my electric stove top. Tell us again how many panels and batteries you have. I remember your using Battle born Lithiums but I forgot how many you have in your system.

Red
    I have 1155 watts in 7 panels on the roof and 4 BB’s for a total of 400ah. My setup is pricey and overkill for this though.
    You don’t need anywhere near what I have to run this window unit.
    I just posted the video to point out the fact that you could run such a unit and have a/c while dry camping because a lot of folks think it’s impossible without a generator.
    Matter of fact, an inexpensive lead acid battery, 600 watts of solar and a descent inverter would run it just fine.
    You could do this on less than a thousand dollars worth of gear.
    And when you’re not running the a/c the solar would easily keep your battery topped off.

Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 10-13-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know how many watts the AC draws? Can you assume 120v X 38 amps = 4560 watts?

Red
    Last edited by el Rojo; 10-14-2019 at 07:45 AM.
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Do you know how many watts the AC draws? Can you assume 120v X 38 amps = 4560 watts?

Red
    I just bought a watt meter for testing things like this. I’m going to use it today and I’ll post the results here, but I’m guessing it will be about 400 watts.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red
    I think it is just a small portable / window Air conditioner. Runs off a 15 amp plug so likely pulls 10 or 12 amps when running. The requirements to run that are much lower than trying to run a 15k rooftop.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I think it is just a small portable / window Air conditioner. Runs off a 15 amp plug so likely pulls 10 or 12 amps when running. The requirements to run that are much lower than trying to run a 15k rooftop.
    You may be surprised. I can run both of my rooftop units (15k and 13.5k) on my 30 amps at home which means after the start surge, they are steady state under 25 amps combined.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post

Yes you are correct on the 10 or 12 amps. I saw 38 amp draw in his video, dang his wife must have been running her hair dryer. LOL

So now if were 120v X 12 amps = 1440 watts?
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast