User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need advice on a smoker

I'd like to try doing some smoking (the BBQ kind ) and I'm looking for some advice on a smoker that is small enough to pack into the basement and take with us when we are traveling.

Any suggestions?
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd highly recommend a Davy Crockett from Green Mountain Grills.

https://greenmountaingrills.com/prod...et-grill-wifi/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Webber makes several models of their Smokey Mountain smoker. https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/c...cooker-series/

Over the years I have had several and they work well.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Webber makes several models of their Smokey Mountain smoker. https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/c...cooker-series/

Over the years I have had several and they work well.
    What are you using for a12v power source?
    Last edited by JColeman; 10-13-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    What are you using for a12v power source?
    Assuming you might have meant for the GMG vs the Weber as those are all charcoal based. The GMG actually comes with a DC/AC converter, so I just plug it in to an outlet on the outside of the camper. It is actually quite a long cord as well, so I can keep it a good distance away from the camper. After using charcoal, propane, electric and pellet smokers, I have found the convenience of pellet smokers to be the best. The Wifi option on the GMG is really nice as well. It will broadcast its own WiFi or you can connect it to your own WiFi and sync up with their cloud service to monitor/program it from anywhere.

In that one I can fit either 3 racks of baby backs, 2 5-7 lb pork butts, a couple whole chickens, even a decent size turkey. It doubles as a grill for me as well given I can crank it up to 400+ degrees if needed, but I like to smoke at or below 225 for the most part.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post
    Assuming you might have meant for the GMG vs the Weber as those are all charcoal based. The GMG actually comes with a DC/AC converter, so I just plug it in to an outlet on the outside of the camper. It is actually quite a long cord as well, so I can keep it a good distance away from the camper. After using charcoal, propane, electric and pellet smokers, I have found the convenience of pellet smokers to be the best. The Wifi option on the GMG is really nice as well. It will broadcast its own WiFi or you can connect it to your own WiFi and sync up with their cloud service to monitor/program it from anywhere.

In that one I can fit either 3 racks of baby backs, 2 5-7 lb pork butts, a couple whole chickens, even a decent size turkey. It doubles as a grill for me as well given I can crank it up to 400+ degrees if needed, but I like to smoke at or below 225 for the most part.
    I had never heard of Green Mountain Grills before today when I saw a neighbor camper using his when we were out for an evening walk. I thought I was headed for a Traeger Tailgater, but after looking his over and doing some more research online - I have ordered a GMG Davy Crockett - and the pizza oven accessory! My grandkids will love making personal pizzas with us this summer! This pellet smoker / grill is much more full featured that the Traeger Tailgater, lighter, and costs a LOT less. I am a happy camper - pun intended!
    Home is where you park it!
    2021 Solitude 380FL
    2014 Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW 6.6L Duramax Allison 6 Speed
    RVing since 1996; Full Time since 2018

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at the Traeger scout and ranger and was close to getting the ranger as I liked the shape better for storage but in the end the GMG Davy Crockett won out. I wore out a Traeger Lil tex and replaced with the GMG Daniel Boone and it's worked well so I knew the product was good. We are full timing while we build a house so I needed something to play with that I could then bring on glamping trips once the house is done.

As a side note FWIW - I like the Davy Crockett more than the fullsize model. It uses less pellets and heats up way faster. For just the two of us it's perfect and I think I could feed 4 with it as it's got plenty of grilling/smoking area.
    2022 F350 DRW - Lariat, LBCC, 4x4, 7.3L, 4.30 gears
    2018 Imagine 2150RB (SOLD)
    2005 Four Wheel Camper, Grandby (Slide-in Popup)
    2020 Reflection 337RLS (SOLD)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a Pit Barrel Cooker. No power needed. Load with some bricketes and start smoking.
    2021 Reflection 28BH
    Pullrite Superlite 2600
    2019 Ford F250 CC SB 6.7L
    2017 Jayco 27bhs (Sold)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Missed the original post since I got my 320G in the fall. Definitely stick with the GMG. We were between the GMG and the Camp Chef. We really like the Camp Chef Pursuit. Higher capacity. We bought the Camp Chef Pursuit based on reviews and the experience with Camp Chef products. Burners and stoves seem to last forever. This pellet grill. Not so much. It is a year old and falling apart. The temp probes are flaky, and the legs are starting to fall apart. This thing is advertised as portable. It is not. The legs fold up nice enough, however it comes in at a hefty 80 lbs without any pellets. We dragged this thing from Ohio to Utah and back. It took a beating in part that the firebox weighs what it does the legs are garbage. It has not faired well. We're now set up at a seasonal site it it pretty much sits next to the camper. I ordered it from Amazon, first one was busted up. Should of bailed than. I've seen the GMG in action. the controller I've heard id dead nuts on for controlling temps. Maybe next year, I'll bail on this thing.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well we bought a GMG Davy Crocket just the other day and are eager to try it out. Friends of ours Stacey and Tom "RV Texas Y'all" bloggers got one awhile back and have posted several meals they have prepared with their GMG. We bought based on their experience. Nice that it can smoke and grill. It is a little heavy but not bad and fits in our basement storage nicely. Burned it in yesterday, its big enough to cook anything just for the two of us but can handle quite a bit more if our children joint us for a weekend. Can't wait to try it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2484.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 09-20-2020 at 07:44 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast