User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    Just a couple comments on Bradley smokers. I bought a Bradley BS611 in 2015. I used it extensively for family gatherings year around. Within about a year and a half the plastic door hinges began to fatigue and broke. The constant heating and cooling must have affected the plastic parts. Bradley was of no help as it was out of warranty. I could of bought another set of hinges on my dime but decided to just jerry rig the door. The smoker heating element works when it wants to now. In our Ohio winters it simply doesn’t have the insulation nor power to maintain safe temperatures so it’s become a summer-only back-up smoker to my Camp Chef. The pucks get to be expensive on long smokes like pork shoulder or brisket. It’s entirely possible they’ve upgraded the models to be more resilient however I’ve finally moved on and got a pellet smoker. This one just sits on a shelf reminding me of the $250 I dropped to have it work for about a year. My guess is if you're in warmer climates these hold up better. Hopefully someone can post a more favorable experience to offset mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for this. I've been eyeballing the Bradley's for over a year now but the reviews and as you mentioned plastic parts made me hesitant. What attracted me to it is the set and forget, no babysitting for 12hrs involved. Looks like it's a similar experience with the MGM.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Thanks for this. I've been eyeballing the Bradley's for over a year now but the reviews and as you mentioned plastic parts made me hesitant. What attracted me to it is the set and forget, no babysitting for 12hrs involved. Looks like it's a similar experience with the MGM.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    The only consideration I’d give the Bradley is for use in weather where you're above 40-50 degrees and recipes that take advantage of the multiple racks... Like jerky.

Otherwise a GMG, Traeger portables. Per previous post I like my Camp Chef Pursuit portable, it’s just too heavy and bulky to take camping. It too has quality issues. Leg locks eventually wear and the temp probes stopped working. I attribute the breakdowns to hauling it around the country in the truck on trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MooManChu; 10-23-2020 at 12:01 PM.
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On another note, has anyone had experience with the Traeger "suitcase" Scout or Ranger smokers. We're pretty much empty nesting so looking to downsize on the smoker. I've been reading so-so reviews on the Scout since they had a little "issue" a few years back with "runaway" temp sensor that cranks up the temp to the surface of the sun (sic).

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    On another note, has anyone had experience with the Traeger "suitcase" Scout or Ranger smokers. We're pretty much empty nesting so looking to downsize on the smoker. I've been reading so-so reviews on the Scout since they had a little "issue" a few years back with "runaway" temp sensor that cranks up the temp to the surface of the sun (sic).
    Auto is not something the ceramic smokers do well out of the box. On my home one, I have a Large BGE and use the BBG Guru DigiQ. It puts the auto in, but at significant cost. That one is FAR from portable, since it weights ~150lbs. Good luck with the Traeger. I have friends with the home model Traeger's with pellets and they love them.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Dyna-Glo offset wood smoker at home, but its way too big for RV living. I just smoked yesterday with oak, that produces a mild pleasant smoke. I suppose when we retire I'll just use a charcoal grill with indirect cooking. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original_f4e02223-7411-46a8-89b3-8a70410c7dda_20201114_125110.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	30685

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123