User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just Bought a used 337RLS with a B&W Patriot Hitch - Do I Need A Slider ?

We just bought a 2014 337RLS and this is our first post on the forum!

With the RV the seller included, among other things, a B&W Patriot 16K hitch. I installed the hitch rails before picking up the RV, made a hitch height adjustment at the sellers place, and it towed very nicely, and level, on the 9 hour trip home. It towed much better than I expected given its weight. I've towed an enclosed single car hauler for years but this was heavier so I wasn't sure what to expect. The 337RLS has a Trailair Rota Flex King Pin on it. I own a 3rd Gen (2009) Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Quad Cab short bed (6ft 4-1/2inch inside the bed). Although we've only owned it a little more than a week, I'm getting conflicting advice from other 5th wheel owners/friends regarding the need for a slider hitch for my short bed. I haven't been in any tight spots yet requiring tight turns/maneuvering but tucking it in beside my house when I got it home I probably made a 50-60 deg turn and it seemed to have plenty of room.

I hoping some of you may have the same RV/truck combo and could speak from experience - do I need a slider, or not? The previous owner had a short bed and never had a problem but it was a Ford with a bed 7" longer than mine.

Thanks for any advice!

Steve
    2014 Reflection 337RLS 5th
    2009 Ram 3500 4x4 QC SB SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One easy way to see if you'll need a slider hitch is to take your truck and trailer to a large open parking lot. Carefully, and I do mean carefully, start backing the trailer up while turning the wheel. As you go backwards every few feet stop the truck and get out and look at the distance between whatever front corner of your trailer is approaching the cab. If you can turn the truck so that it's 90* to the trailer you're good to go. If you can't you've then got two choices; 1) get a slider hitch or 2) know that your truck has limitations in how far it can turn and live with it.

I would add that you might get away with your current hitch if it puts the king pin over the axle instead of slightly in front of the axle (so it's closer to the cab). I know my B&W Companion hitch can be set up to have the pin in front of the axle, over the axle, or behind the axle.
    Last edited by ramcneal; 10-13-2019 at 08:37 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a 2018 337RLS. I towed it with a 2016 Crew Cab Silverado, regular bed, and had a B&W Patriot slider hitch. In all of our travels I never used the slider option. Someone had special ordered the hitch and never picked it up so the dealer installed it as part of the deal. We traded up to a Solitude 2930RL and pulling with the same truck and hitch. Again I have yet to use the slider option. It takes up extra bed space that I often wish I had available. However The Solitude front cap sits closer to rear cab then 337 did so I keep an eye on it. A distance of about 44"fom cap to rear cab of truck. Getting ready to order a 2020 Crew cab 3500 Silverado and debating what hitch to get. New truck has hockey puck system that present hitch wont mount to. At the present B&W doesn't offer Patriot slider hitch for a 2020 Silverado with hockey puck mount. So I will probably order the Companion hitch. Love B&W hitches and cant beat there support.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good to know. Thanks for the reply. I'll keep an eye on it hopefully, like you, never need it!
    2014 Reflection 337RLS 5th
    2009 Ram 3500 4x4 QC SB SRW