User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nice setup!
    I’m seeing more and more solar setups being installed lately but it’s funny... we rarely ever see them out dry camping.
    Over the past 18 months of full timing we’ve seen maybe half a dozen rigs with more than a couple panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dave. You got that right. I haven't been dry camping that much but I also haven't seen many with solar. Last year I spent two weeks with no hookups at all at two hobby events. Actually It was with a few days of camping with full hookups in-between so I could regroup. I used the generator a lot but it really would have been nice if I didn't need it.

We plan to do all the western national parks this spring. I expect some of the best spots have no hookups with little need for air conditioning. I think it will be really cool. Hopefully by then i'll know if I have the right amount of solar panels and batteries.
    Best regards, Lou & Diane Cetrangelo, Saint James, NY
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat | Dually | Diesel | 4x4 | Super Cab | 8' Bed | B&W Goose Ball
    2020 Solitude 310GK | Reese 20k Goosebox |1,550 Watts of Solar | Victron 3k Mutiplus II | 3 SOK 206 AH Batteries | Disk Brakes | MorRide IS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent half a day looking at voltages and could not find anything wrong. I connected the truck and hooked up the 7 pin trailer cable. The wire that I suspected came from pin 4 of the 7 pin cable which is + 12VDC was in fact showing the correct voltage with the engine running. Again my problem was that when that wire was connected to my lithium trailer tow circuit the inverter would not come on. I finally called AM Solar tech support and explained my issue. Everything looked good so they had me connect the wire back and power up the system. This time everything came up perfectly. I have not a clue what was going on before. Maybe it was the the sequence of powering every thing up, not sure but I can't get it to fail now.

Thanks AM Solar for for a great product. If you are thinking about a solar install, whether you do it yourself or have someone do it for you, check out their link "RV Solar Education" under "DIY Instructions". There is a lot of very good information there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191017_165701.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	23135
    Best regards, Lou & Diane Cetrangelo, Saint James, NY
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat | Dually | Diesel | 4x4 | Super Cab | 8' Bed | B&W Goose Ball
    2020 Solitude 310GK | Reese 20k Goosebox |1,550 Watts of Solar | Victron 3k Mutiplus II | 3 SOK 206 AH Batteries | Disk Brakes | MorRide IS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats. I just recently completed nearly the same on my "new" 2018 310.
    600 Watts solar
    4 BB Batteries, everything else the same.

Rather than drilling, I just removed the aluminum plate form the roof, peeled back the sealant, and that exposed the existing chase. Installed the new wire cover and resealed.

we even installed the Color Controller in the same spot.

I put the SPS where the inverter use to be, so I could easily reuse the existing AC wiring to the breaker box

My Victron sit on one side of a wall in the basement, batteries otherside, facing the water port box.

Been great

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyn2high View Post
    I mounted the Smart Phase Selector next to the original converter. See photo of it below. It is behind the main circuit breaker/ fuse box.

Attachment 23068 Attachment 23069

On the pass through storage area I removed the middle rear panel and removed all the screws on the outer rear panel so that I could slide it out of the way with out removing the vacuum other connections. This gave me a lot of room to access the area behind the circuit breaker box. However, the plumbing was always in my way. The shore cable that connects to the circuit breaker box needs to be removed and installed in the SPS. A 6 awg 4 wire cable that was supplied connects in place of the shore cable and goes to the SPS. Then two 6 awg 3 wire cables connect from the SPS to the AC input and AC output of the MultiPlus inverter charger. in the forward compartment. I was supplied 16’ feet of this cable which was long enough for one run but I needed another 16’ to go back. AM Solar shipped this to me at no charge. I attached the cables to the aluminum frame work in the basement ceiling and through to the forward compartment.

Below is the wiring diagram for the SPS. I do not have a built in generator so there is no factory transfer switch in my setup.

Attachment 23075

By the way I strongly recommend a stripping tool for these heavy cables. I used my pocket knife which took some time. One other point is that the AC input and output cables are just a bit too big for the stain reliefs in the inverter. AM Solar recommended drilling them out with a Christmas tree bit. I used my lathe and bored it out for a nice fit.
    Flyn2high,

I'm installing a full system purchased from Arizona Wind and Sun. I stumbled onto some information regarding the AM Solar Smart Phase Selector and contacted them. Apparently, they are developing a DC version that is "silent" and uses DC relays instead of AC relays. It was recommended you not install the AC version under a bed, etc., due to the "slight hum." Based on your usage/testing so far, how noisy it the DC version of the SPS?

2020 Grand Design Momentum 349M, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Goodyear G114 17.5" Tires, 1280W Solar w/600AH Battle Born Batteries
    2019 Ford F350 Platinum
    2014 Polaris UTV
    USAF Retired

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTWILCOX View Post
    congrats. I just recently completed nearly the same on my "new" 2018 310.
    600 Watts solar
    4 BB Batteries, everything else the same.

Rather than drilling, I just removed the aluminum plate form the roof, peeled back the sealant, and that exposed the existing chase. Installed the new wire cover and resealed.

we even installed the Color Controller in the same spot.

I put the SPS where the inverter use to be, so I could easily reuse the existing AC wiring to the breaker box

My Victron sit on one side of a wall in the basement, batteries otherside, facing the water port box.

Been great
    I must be the exception. In my case the chase wasn't under the aluminum plate on the roof. As I said I had to drill up from below to see where it was.

When on battery and I turn on the inverter I hear a dull thunk as it engages. I do not hear any hum at all though.

I planed to pull out the old converter but it really wasn't in the way. Actually with all the plumbing between me and the converter and circuit breaker box it would have been a challenge to get it out. The circuit breaker for the converter goes to an outlet on the back of the circuit breaker box. The converter is plugged in to that. I just unplugged it so I didn't have to remember to switch off the converter breaker.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggio View Post
    Flyn2high,

I'm installing a full system purchased from Arizona Wind and Sun. I stumbled onto some information regarding the AM Solar Smart Phase Selector and contacted them. Apparently, they are developing a DC version that is "silent" and uses DC relays instead of AC relays. It was recommended you not install the AC version under a bed, etc., due to the "slight hum." Based on your usage/testing so far, how noisy it the DC version of the SPS?
    I really don't hear it humming. It is located under the aft side of the bathroom. My bedroom is forward of the bath.

Most likely if I was dry camping I would probably have the inverter off during the night. If plugged in to shore power I would have it set for charger only with the inverter off.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don’t mind, what was the total cost of that setup? Looks like perfect system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man I'm glad I found this forum (just signed up) and your install. I'll be installing a solar system in our 310GK-R so I've been trying to learn as much as possible. I'm a visual learner so I appreciate your pics! In regards to the access panel on the roof, I've read from other members in the FaceBook group that the actual hole is often off by quite a bit...so no surprise yours wasn't lined up.

With your setup, would you be able to charge your batteries while running a generator? I've heard the STS would bypass the inverter resulting in the generator not charging the batts. Thanks and keep the updates coming!

Matt

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimposey View Post
    If you don’t mind, what was the total cost of that setup? Looks like perfect system.
    HI Jimposey

It was a little over $7,000. However, everything was included. The only things I needed to buy were some special tools. One that was very helpful was a 16 ton hydraulic crimping tool to install the lugs on the cables.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast