User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Man I'm glad I found this forum (just signed up) and your install. I'll be installing a solar system in our 310GK-R so I've been trying to learn as much as possible. I'm a visual learner so I appreciate your pics! In regards to the access panel on the roof, I've read from other members in the FaceBook group that the actual hole is often off by quite a bit...so no surprise yours wasn't lined up.

With your setup, would you be able to charge your batteries while running a generator? I've heard the STS would bypass the inverter resulting in the generator not charging the batts. Thanks and keep the updates coming!

Matt
    HI Matt:

I assume you are referring to the Onan propane generator. In an earlier post there is an illustration of the STS showing how the generator is connected. It will charge the batteries as long as you have the inverter/charger set to on or charger only. This is also the case if you are on shore power or an external generator.

With your residential refrigerator others have sized the system a little bigger to be able to run the fridge on battery and solar while dry camping. My fridge is a little too power hungry to run on AC but on gas it seams very efficient.
    Best regards, Lou & Diane Cetrangelo, Saint James, NY
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat | Dually | Diesel | 4x4 | Super Cab | 8' Bed | B&W Goose Ball
    2020 Solitude 310GK | Reese 20k Goosebox |1,550 Watts of Solar | Victron 3k Mutiplus II | 3 SOK 206 AH Batteries | Disk Brakes | MorRide IS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyn2high View Post
    Yes I agree BB&LAB. Wow three systems. That is impressive. If I lived closer to Oregon I would have let AM Solar do the install but it was an educational and challenging project. If something goes south I now feel comfortable to try and fix it.
    You saved yourself a bunch of money by doing it yourself and like you say have learned about your system, putting you in a better place to troubleshoot. AM Solar while among the best for installers are expensive, though worth it for those unwilling or unable to do the install themselves. Good luck with yours, sounds like a nice set-up.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bruce. I'm getting on board for my parts cost with the 30% tax rebate that is good till the end of this year.

Next trip is to the Airforce Museum in Dayton for an event November 8th and 9th. I can't wait to try it out.
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat | Dually | Diesel | 4x4 | Super Cab | 8' Bed | B&W Goose Ball
    2020 Solitude 310GK | Reese 20k Goosebox |1,550 Watts of Solar | Victron 3k Mutiplus II | 3 SOK 206 AH Batteries | Disk Brakes | MorRide IS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Solitude 310GK with 510 watt Solar Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Flyn2high View Post
    ...I'm getting on board for my parts cost with the 30% tax rebate that is good till the end of this year...
    It’s one of the best arguments over buying a generator and fuel for one, at least it was for us.

I paid $10,000 for my solar setup.
    Using the 30% tax credit, we spent $3,000 less on our income taxes, since we would have spent that $10,000 on something else anyway, we literally saved $3,000.

So our solar setup essentially only cost $7,000. Basically I got 3 out of 4 of my lithium batteries free!

: )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great set up. The pictures are perfect. Ill be doing this install in the spring!

Thanks For Sharing.
    Sold our Salem travel trailer that's been all over the USA and going big in the spring after the snow melts.
    2021 Solitude 310GK (first of year 2021)
    2020 Chevrolet 3500HD duramax Crew Cab

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DAFIXA View Post
    Great set up. The pictures are perfect. Ill be doing this install in the spring!

Thanks For Sharing.
    Your very welcome. Good luck with your install. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    We did the similar thing to our 2019 310GK last year, it was barely in the driveway before the panel (4-160W) went up on top. These are wired as pairs in series and then parallel. We too found he metal plate, however when we ordered it we decided not to get the solar generator prep kit, so I was surprised it was there. It was fairly easy to drop two pairs of wires down to the "garage". We went with Victron Energy too as our Lance (cabover) uses Victron too. I built in expandability in the form of locations for two MTTP 100/50 solar controllers, Multi Plus 3000VA, BMV712 and 4-100AH battle born batteries. We also put in the Color Control GX, ran a bunch of cables etc. The system works great. This coming spring we plan on putting in two more panels and a second MTTP 100/50 with two more Batteries.

Now for the down side, I have not found a good WiFi solution on the RV yet as we travel, I still work so connectivity is king. For the Color Control GX to work remotely, in the RV, the connectivity to the Color Control GX is somewhat limited, WiFi required. After a year, 48 nights in 2019 and roughly 8K miles, we went back to the Bluetooth dongles method for connectivity to the system when on the road. Same as the Lance cabover. The BMV 712 already has BT, added one for each of the Solar controllers and Multi Plus Via the VE.Bus Smart dongle. Seems to work well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3429.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1,012.0 KB 
ID:	23291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3295.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	23292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3294.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	23293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3435.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	23294

Happy Camping !!
    Loren and Crystal & Bear and Bailey (White Labs)
    2019 RAM 3500 Dually, 6.7 Cummins w/Asian, 4x4, CC and LB
    2019 Solitude 310GK AND 2013 Lance 850 CabOver

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Wood2dust:

Thanks for your post. I have not used mine since the solar upgrade and I'm curious how it will work boondocking. Can I ask what are you running on the inverter and what on propane? I assume you are planning to add additional capacity to run the generator less. How often do you turn it on?

You said that your color control needs WiFi in the RV. did you not hard wire it to the inverter, battery monitor and solar controller?

Does the VE Smart buss dongle let you see and control the Multiplus over Bluetooth?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like AM Solar is sold out of the SPS. Did you consider another brand of unit for the shore switching power?
    Sold our Salem travel trailer that's been all over the USA and going big in the spring after the snow melts.
    2021 Solitude 310GK (first of year 2021)
    2020 Chevrolet 3500HD duramax Crew Cab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to imagine the sold out status is temporary, it seems there has been heavy demand for the Smart Auto Switching Box. You might inquire of AM Solar when they will have them available again.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast