User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flyn2high,

Sorry didn't get back to you sooner, we have been dealing with this PGE power shutdown for the last few days.

We have this system fully operational since early February. I need to go back and clarify some points. We do have a generator that we carry in the truck, for the Solitude I pack the Eu3000 and for the Lance we take the Eu2000. Why do we have two, the Eu3000 was purchased in 2001 when we had a bumper pull and this was the only method for boon docking, more or less. Then in 2013 we sold the Bumper pull and purchased the Lance, built a rear deck for the DW to get in and out with her bad knees and haul the Eu2000 and BBQ on it. The thread is posted on LOA, if you want I can dig it up and link here. So now we are here in 2019 with the idea of getting a Fifth Wheel, why asked we already have two. So the Eu3000 fits the bill, but to be quite honest the Eu2000 starts the living room AC with EasyStart with no problem, just no margin. The second point I need to clear up is the Color Control GX module. I did wire everything to the CCGX, could read everything control most from the console or from a tablet/iPhone when I was at home. Since I have not resolved my internet issues while we travel, the remote console via a tablet/iPhone is pretty much useless. Please correct me if I am wrong. With the Lance we did the same setup, minus the MultiPlus, as most items are 12V only, with the BT dongles. It exceeded our needs 100%, we could see the solar charger and how much was in the battery etc.

This is our first 50A RV, two legs etc. First thing we want to do was replace the two Lead Acid batteries with two Battle Born batteries, double the capacity and half the weight not to mention the longevity compared to Lead. At the same time we added the solar (640W) with the MTTP controller and the MultiPlus works great. No issues. This being our first 50A rig and not willing to pop a second MultiP Plus in the mix we went with just powering one leg. I had seen several videos on do a conversion similar to this on Youtube: KYD and All About RV's. So we took the stab of only powering one leg, which leg? Well we decided to select the Leg which powered the Living Room AC, not sure that is the correct thing but we did it. I am a firm believer put a stake in the ground and go for it, be will to move it, don't forget the reasons you put it there in the first place. Also built a 310GK electrical outlet map laminated it and put it on the shelf of the hutch, I will attach. After our first truly boon docking trip, we felt we needed more capacity, so we added two more for a total of four. So now you know how we are configured.

On to the real question: We run the refrigerator on propane, along with the water heater, furnace and bbq. The fireplace is on the other leg which is not powered when using the inverter. For real numbers: a typical night with the temp dropping into the low 40's will discharge the system to about 50%, used about 2.5KWHr (200AHr). This is no holding back, stay warm, use the kitchen appliances and watch some TV. This system in the summer can supply 40-47AH, so 6-8 hours of good overhead sun will recharge the system. However in the Fall cut that number by 2/3 and now there just isn't enough daylight to recharge. This is why we have the portable generators. Tow hours of running the Generator with solar will bring this back to acceptable levels. And to be honest when we are in this rig we don't try to cut back like we would in the Lance. If its a travel day the truck can charge this in a few hours, I did run 2/0 cable from the front to the rear and used a winch quick disconnect (175A) hooked thru a Lithium Battery Monitor with breaker, I am not really sure how much actually from the truck since the solar charger is charging when on the road at the same time.

So this is why I will be adding two more batteries and a pair of panels in the spring. I would like to run two days with not so stelar days of sun before getting the generator out. I like the idea of enjoying ourselves without the noise of a GenSet and this setup give this to us in spades. When we travel to AK, which we do every other year, we run into cases that the days are dreary so you can't count on the sun and the best spots are off the beaten path. Our typical stay is 4-5 days.

I hope I have answered some of your questions. Attached is my map for 310GK outlets.

Happy Camping !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solitude310GKOutletDiagram.pdf  
    Loren and Crystal & Bear and Bailey (White Labs)
    2019 RAM 3500 Dually, 6.7 Cummins w/Asian, 4x4, CC and LB
    2019 Solitude 310GK AND 2013 Lance 850 CabOver

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Wood2Dust for all that great information. I also have two Honda generators. They are each EU2200i. Actually got the second when I realized that one was not enough to run my AC on my first camper. I’m happy I bought then instead of one larger one though. First for the weight when I need to lift them. Second thing is sometimes you only need one running in economy mode. It is very quiet then and uses very little fuel. The only down side is the price. The EasyStart is on my list. I may install one in the Solitude before I go on the big trip out west next May / June although at that time of year in the higher elevations I probably won’t need much AC.

WiFi access at campgrounds is almost always terrible. I used to have Verizon but switched to a cheaper T-Mobile unlimited plan that I like a lot. Cellular data at home was equally poor with both but with my unlocked Note10 T-Mobile gives me WiFi calling. It is only available on Verizon with a Verizon branded phone. On T-Mobile we stream music while driving and watch shows from our home DVR, and use Netflix and Prime directly to the big screen while camping. The most data I’ve used in a month is a little over 30 gb. They throttle you after 50. So far 90% of the places we went to have good cellular data but your mileage may vary.

When dry camping I plan to run the frig, water heater and furnace off of propane. Everything else off of battery or inverter. I’ll see how it goes. In the future I may install another solar panel and possibly another battery if I really need it. For now if the sun is not available and the batteries are low I always can charge back up quickly with one generator . The MultiPlus is set to charge the two Battleborns at a maximum of 100 amps which is much better then the original converter.

I also have my truck alternator in the loop when driving. I didn’t do anything special with the alternator size when I ordered it. The battleborns resting voltage is just a bit higher then the trucks battery. So I do have a circuit that prevents the battleborns from draining back into the truck when parked with the truck connected.

With regards to the Color Control I can use it to turn on or off the MultiPlus to invert or charge directly from the screen. I have the MK3 to USB dongle to change a few settings in the MultiPlus but no direct bluetooth capability to it. The solar controller and battery monitor are both on bluetooth which is nice.

Hopefully you are not too close to the fires on the west coast. Here in the east it has been wetter then normal. I only saw two days this summer when our fire index on Long Island went from low to moderate.
    Best regards, Lou & Diane Cetrangelo, Saint James, NY
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat | Dually | Diesel | 4x4 | Super Cab | 8' Bed | B&W Goose Ball
    2020 Solitude 310GK | Reese 20k Goosebox |1,550 Watts of Solar | Victron 3k Mutiplus II | 3 SOK 206 AH Batteries | Disk Brakes | MorRide IS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Does anybody run a Surge Protector, either hardwired or attached to the pedestal in front of the inverter? Sure we mostly boondocks but I am thinking of adding Southwire 35550 (hardwired) to the setup. Just don't want to think about it. Any issues? I have see a very few posts on this subject. And was wondering: since the MultiPlus II as the ability to unbond the neutral ground before passing on the neutral. I believe the Surge Protectors will detect this and disconnect.

Also has anybody used and have some thoughts on the AMSOLAR SPS?

BTW: I resolved my wifi issues. I purchased a JetPack from Verizon and connected everything to it. The JetPack works most of the time when traveling. When home it connects to the 4G Exterder so I don't use my bandwidth when home.
    Last edited by wood2dust; 02-29-2020 at 08:42 PM.
    Loren and Crystal & Bear and Bailey (White Labs)
    2019 RAM 3500 Dually, 6.7 Cummins w/Asian, 4x4, CC and LB
    2019 Solitude 310GK AND 2013 Lance 850 CabOver

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks great. If you don’t mind, I may reply again with questions as we get ready to do the same with our 320 MKS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50ST8R View Post
    This looks great. If you don’t mind, I may reply again with questions as we get ready to do the same with our 320 MKS.
    My pleasure. By the way this spring I added a forth solar panel for a total of 680 watts and a third battery.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wood2dust View Post
    Hi,

Does anybody run a Surge Protector, either hardwired or attached to the pedestal in front of the inverter? Sure we mostly boondocks but I am thinking of adding Southwire 35550 (hardwired) to the setup. Just don't want to think about it. Any issues? I have see a very few posts on this subject. And was wondering: since the MultiPlus II as the ability to unbond the neutral ground before passing on the neutral. I believe the Surge Protectors will detect this and disconnect.

BTW: I resolved my wifi issues. I purchased a JetPack from Verizon and connected everything to it. The JetPack works most of the time when traveling. When home it connects to the 4G Exterder so I don't use my bandwidth when home.
    With regard to the AMSOLAR SPS, I was disappointed to find out that they were not available until next spring. That would have delayed installation of my system. Further research found that there are inverters available now which deal with all of the issues mentioned. They include Inverter, Charger and Transfer Switch and they will energize both sides of the panel, no further equipment needed. Unless I am missing something, the SPS is not needed with the newer Magnum and Go power inverters. Comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might be right but I am still partial to the VictronConnect Multiples and how it integrates with the battlements batteries. I found a switch that will make me manual initially to switch from shore to inverter, but hope it will be a short wait before the SPS will be available. I got an email they may be up again in January. Nice winter project. Wish I had a bigger space heater��
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum Edition

[/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I would be nervous if there is a pedestal problem the cord could Fry. At least with a surge protector I feel a bit safer plugging in.

I got an email response today the AMSolar SPS should again be available in January. They are starting a waiting list so if you are interested contact them
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum Edition

[/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

My setup was configured by AM solar and I did the install. I am using the 12v 3000va Victron Multi Plus with a Victron solar controller, battery monitor, and color display along with their SPS. I also have a battleborn battery bank.

I asked and Garret said it was not necessary to use a power management / surge protector. I still don't have one but I'm not 100% sure that it may be needed in some circumstances.

With regards to the SPS, it is transparent and works as advertised. Both 120 banks work when on inverter.

My wife and I each have the Samsung Note10+ phones using an unlimited T-mobile plan. I can mirror the screen to my TV with an HD image with a passive cable. We stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube and view recordings or live TV from my Tivo box at home. That is as long as we have a cell signal. I also use it on my laptop in DEX mode for a 4G high speed connection.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234