User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TyeeMan View Post
    If your window is like ours you will also have 2 or 4 water drains on the top rail, only these will have rubber plugs in the holes. I took each one of those rubber plugs out, applied clear silicone around the plug, reinstalled it and wiped up the access. Just cuz I was there, I ran a small bead of silicon along the very top edge of the window frame.

Not sure which was the fix but there is no leak any more and we've had rains of biblical proportion here lately.
    You may have hit the nail on the head. Let me have a look at mine. I will get back to you. Thanks!
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got lucky and had a rain shower last night and sure enough more water inside. About the same amount as before and in the same location. It was still dark out. I could not get a good photo of the outside, but I did see the open slots in the lower window frame rail and the plastic/rubber plugs in the upper window frame rail.

Here is what I found inside. Rain on the window sill .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-10-16 06.47.59.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	23096

There was no water in the lower window guides anyway, so I looked up and saw a slot or slots in the upper window guides. There was still a water droplet on it. I touched it and more came out.

Name:	2019-10-16 06.49.31.jpg 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	23095

You guys were dead on. I will seal up those outside plugs. Thank you for the tip.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to help, and glad you found your leak!

When I was looking for our leak I thought it kind of odd that they would have drain holes on the top and bottom of the window frame as our previous camper (Sunny Brook) only had drain holes on the bottom. But I suppose they put drain holes in top and bottom so that particular window can be installed in a couple different orientations. They don't have to have multiple windows in stock.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TyeeMan View Post
    But I suppose they put drain holes in top and bottom so that particular window can be installed in a couple different orientations. They don't have to have multiple windows in stock.
    I am sure that is the reason. Keeping costs down. So, I am clear on sealing those plugs outside. I just put them out put some clear silicone in the slot and reinstall them?
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could. What I did was, I pulled out the rubber plug and laid a tiny bead of silicone around the perimeter of the rubber plug, then reinstall the plug, wipe up extra silicone. That way I knew for certain that the plug had sealant on it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it. Thanks.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    Got lucky and had a rain shower last night and sure enough more water inside. About the same amount as before and in the same location. It was still dark out. I could not get a good photo of the outside, but I did see the open slots in the lower window frame rail and the plastic/rubber plugs in the upper window frame rail.

Here is what I found inside. Rain on the window sill .

Name:	2019-10-16 06.47.59.jpg 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	23096

There was no water in the lower window guides anyway, so I looked up and saw a slot or slots in the upper window guides. There was still a water droplet on it. I touched it and more came out.

Name:	2019-10-16 06.49.31.jpg 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	23095

You guys were dead on. I will seal up those outside plugs. Thank you for the tip.
    I will need to watch out for this and next time I have the Lexel out I will need to seal all of those up on the various windows to avoid this. Last thing I need to to be loosing sleep about a water leak and damage to the trailer.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I was the only one in the GD world to have this problem until this thread.

I'd have to imagine (no pun intended) that there are more folks out there some where that have this issue.

Yeah, nothing like a little water leak to make a BIG mess out of everything.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I was the only one in the GD world to have this problem until this thread.

I'd have to imagine (no pun intended) that there are more folks out there some where that have this issue.

Yeah, nothing like a little water leak to make a BIG mess out of everything.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Another consideration is the state of the top edge of the window against the body of the trailer. I needed a ladder to see it, but we had a gap that started at 1/8” and widened to a full 1/4” along the following edge. That gap flooded my bedside floor mat twice before I tracked it down. The window (emergency exit in our BR), had been installed askew (crooked, not flush with body on all sides). Fixed it myself. Hasn’t leaked since, but I check it frequently.
    While I was up sealing the window fame plugs I inspected the frame against the exterior fiberglass wall. There was an area where it was not sealed properly. There was an area about 1' long that appeared to be a 1/16" wide gap where no silicone sealant was present. You can see it in the photo below. I sealed it and inspected all the rest of the windows. Two more had areas where the silicone was not consistent, leaving gaps.

I have resealed these, but I am afraid of delamination in the long term. Should I contact GD and make them aware of this such that if I do get delamination down the road it would be covered (I hope)

Name:	2019-10-16 12.38.07.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	23100

Anyone else reading this thread- This trailer is only a couple months old. Regardless of age, if you are not inspecting the seal between the window frame and outer trailer wall you should do so now.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast