User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water leak on back window in 2500RL

We have only had our 2500RL a few months. Each time it has rained we would check the trailer for leaks. We would be focused what we thought were the usual culprits; slide seals, roof vents. Recently we were cleaning the trailer after a trip and noticed water on the rear window sill and a little bit on the floor beneath it. We had just had a light rain. Trying to determine where it was coming from I inspected the seals around the windows. From the inside I could see light below what I would call the vertical dew wipe on the horizontal sliding window. I went outside and noticed the perimeter seal that should have mated up to the dew wipe had a 1/8" gap between the two. The perimeter seal looks like seals I have worked with in the auto industry. When you put them on everything mates up correctly. In time, especially sitting in the sun, the seal contracts leaving a gap.

Below is a photo I took off the internet of a 2500RL. I have drawn arrows where the gaps are. I think I can actually see a gap in the lower part in this photo like mine. Has anyone had something like this happen to them before?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-10-14_5-08-16.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	23038
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    We have only had our 2500RL a few months. Each time it has rained we would check the trailer for leaks. We would be focused what we thought were the usual culprits; slide seals, roof vents. Recently we were cleaning the trailer after a trip and noticed water on the rear window sill and a little bit on the floor beneath it. We had just had a light rain. Trying to determine where it was coming from I inspected the seals around the windows. From the inside I could see light below what I would call the vertical dew wipe on the horizontal sliding window. I went outside and noticed the perimeter seal that should have mated up to the dew wipe had a 1/8" gap between the two. The perimeter seal looks like seals I have worked with in the auto industry. When you put them on everything mates up correctly. In time, especially sitting in the sun, the seal contracts leaving a gap.

Below is a photo I took off the internet of a 2500RL. I have drawn arrows where the gaps are. I think I can actually see a gap in the lower part in this photo like mine. Has anyone had something like this happen to them before?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-10-14_5-08-16.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	23038
    SJMaye,

That window looks to be the same horizontal slider that is in our street side slide. About a year ago, we noticed that that same seal had popped completely out at the corner. We also had the same 1/8” gaps at the ends of the seals. I had pictures, but dumped them after we got it replaced. A couple things to consider- our window never leaked. We were told on this forum that the part in question (it has a different name-not seal, and is ordered by the foot), is purely cosmetic and isn’t necessarily there to keep water out.

That said, we went ahead and got ours replaced, because it had pulled completely away from the window at the corner. I completely understand your concern. Other things to think about, given your water inside the window: this is the time of year when condensation is a serious concern. Even if you don’t turn on the heat, just a couple people breathing inside the trailer overnight can produce a lot of water on the inside of that size window. Another consideration is the state of the top edge of the window against the body of the trailer. I needed a ladder to see it, but we had a gap that started at 1/8” and widened to a full 1/4” along the following edge. That gap flooded my bedside floor mat twice before I tracked it down. The window (emergency exit in our BR), had been installed askew (crooked, not flush with body on all sides). Fixed it myself. Hasn’t leaked since, but I check it frequently.

You might be able to find my original post about it by searching: “gap , window seal , slide window seal etc). I can also look for the name GD uses for the part in our invoices when we got it fixed. Should help, if you decide to discuss it with them.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had not considered condensation. Interesting. Regarding sealing the window frame on the outside of the trailer ( i think that was what you were describing). So far mine all seem to fit tight against the fiberglass exterior walls. There seems to be a thin application of clear siliconewhere the aluminum window frame meets the fiberglass. Is this how the windows should look from the factory? Is this yet another place I need to keep an eye on and reseal as needed?
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had not considered condensation. Interesting. Regarding sealing the window frame on the outside of the trailer ( i think that was what you were describing). So far mine all seem to fit tight against the fiberglass exterior walls. There seems to be a thin application of clear siliconewhere the aluminum window frame meets the fiberglass. Is this how the windows should look from the factory? Is this yet another place I need to keep an eye on and reseal as needed?
    That is how they are supposed to look from the factory. Flush to the fiberglass and then the bead of silicone sealant. Keep a close eye on the silicone as it does not stick very well and needs to be cleaned off really well to allow another sealant such as lexel to stick to the surface.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, no- if you are all flush it’ll probably stay that way. Our window was very obviously installed poorly. I just found my thread. Title was: Fingers crossed for window seal repair. I posted picture and was told it wasn’t a problem (cosmetic) and was told correct name for part (not window seal).
    N
    Good luck
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had thought to have my wife sit in the trailer and monitor the back windows for leaks as I spray it with a garden hose, but I don't know it that would truly replicate a rain shower. I think I will just sit in it the next time it rains and see what I get.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like that would do it. Water is, after all, water. It’ll go where opportunities allow. Best way to check for leaks. But just to allay your fears, you should check out how many trailers are out there with those same gaps at the end points of the window glazing.

We always wipe any condensation off our windows whenever we see it. You never mentioned how much water you noticed inside, or whether you have difficulty getting that window to latch. Our poorly installed window (much smaller) allowed at least a quart to a gallon to trickle down the wall into the throw rug (thank goodness it was there). I freaked and obsessed about it til I finally found the egress.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never noticed any condensation on the windows on this trip or the only other previous trip. The amount of water were a handful or drops in the window tracks and a couple that made it to the floor. I don't want to seem an alarmist, but I have read so much about water destroying a trailer.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That also looks like the same rear window we have in our 2018 2970RL. last summer when it would rain against the rear window I would get a small trickle water down the non-sliding window pane. I looked at the top and sides of the window frame outside and it looked as tight as it could be. But I did notice something. On the bottom "rail" of the frame you will see you either 2 or 4 scuppers or water drain holes. If your window is like ours you will also have 2 or 4 water drains on the top rail, only these will have rubber plugs in the holes. I took each one of those rubber plugs out, applied clear silicone around the plug, reinstalled it and wiped up the access. Just cuz I was there, I ran a small bead of silicon along the very top edge of the window frame.

Not sure which was the fix but there is no leak any more and we've had rains of biblical proportion here lately.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TyeeMan View Post
    That also looks like the same rear window we have in our 2018 2970RL. last summer when it would rain against the rear window I would get a small trickle water down the non-sliding window pane. I looked at the top and sides of the window frame outside and it looked as tight as it could be. But I did notice something. On the bottom "rail" of the frame you will see you either 2 or 4 scuppers or water drain holes. If your window is like ours you will also have 2 or 4 water drains on the top rail, only these will have rubber plugs in the holes. I took each one of those rubber plugs out, applied clear silicone around the plug, reinstalled it and wiped up the access. Just cuz I was there, I ran a small bead of silicon along the very top edge of the window frame.

Not sure which was the fix but there is no leak any more and we've had rains of biblical proportion here lately.
    This. Did the same on mine and all inside drips are gone. Remove plug, silicone in hole, reinstall plug and wipe off excess. Only do the top ones.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast