User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thermostat Setting Question or Cold Weather

We are full-timers in a Solitude 310GK-R and find ourselves for the first time facing potential winter temps as low as in the mid teens. We are wondering if there is a minimum temperature we should set the thermostat to keep the underbelly warm enough to prevent freezing of the plumbing and tanks (Wwe of course will turn on the tank heaters when the temperature drops below 32 degrees)? For example during the day we tend to set the thermostat at 68 - 70 degrees and at night when we retire for the night, turn the thermostat down to 66 degrees. Is this enough when temps drop down below 20 degrees into mid teens?
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trial and error is the key. The furnace needs to run enough to keep heat added to the belly area, but exactly how much is hard to say. What I found is that the penetrations in the frame where the hydraulic rams go through need to have something placed over them to slow down the flow of cold air. I spray foamed my entire frame rails to help keep heat in and will be adding an all in one diesel heater to the generator area to help heat the basement and front cap area. Last year while staying at our daughter's home in Bozeman, MT with temps in the single digits the heater ran non stop trying to maintain 70 degrees and there were cold spots in the trailer.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    Trial and error is the key. The furnace needs to run enough to keep heat added to the belly area, but exactly how much is hard to say. What I found is that the penetrations in the frame where the hydraulic rams go through need to have something placed over them to slow down the flow of cold air. I spray foamed my entire frame rails to help keep heat in and will be adding an all in one diesel heater to the generator area to help heat the basement and front cap area. Last year while staying at our daughter's home in Bozeman, MT with temps in the single digits the heater ran non stop trying to maintain 70 degrees and there were cold spots in the trailer.
    Thank you for your reply and some good suggestions you have.
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have wintered at ski resorts for the last 5 years. You plan is pretty solid. We tend to leave the thermostat set at 70 on gas heat. The heat pump is ineffective below about 40. I can't prove it, but believe the tank heaters have thermostats that kick them on below 40f. So if you are forecast to go below 32 I would suggest turning them on. It doesn't hurt anything to run them at those temps.

The gas furnace heats the interior compartments of our Momentum, I think it's the same for your rig, but not absolutely sure. So propane heat is our primary, thermostat set at 70. When the temps drop subzero our rig has stayed around 62 interior temp with the furnace running constantly and electric heaters joining in.

A skirt helps a lot.

A couple of other keypoints to look for while winter camping; sewer hose should never have a "collection" point in it, it should drain smoothly and completely. If it does not, then look to adding heating elements to it.

Landing pads should have some type of sacrificial element under them. Melt/freeze/melt/freeze cycles will cause your jacks to freeze to the concrete, pulling concrete up annoys the hosts.

Protect you water line, kind of a given...

If you don't have dual pane windows consider adding shrink wrap plastic insulation, it can be purchased at Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart, usually in the window seal department.

Don't let snow accumulate too deep on the roof/slides. It melts, then freezes. The ice is really heavy and will cause damage. Keeping the snow off will alleviate the ice build up problem.

Think seriously about renting a big propane tank. We have done both, the big tank is easier over 3-4 months.

If you get unhappy and miserable, admit it, then pack up and head south....
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you D2Reid, this helps.
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a similar situation. We're not full-time campers, but our new 2020 Momentum 21G is stored on our driveway, always plugged in (Nebraska residents). We want the freedom to go camping whenever it gets warm enough for us, but don't want to constantly winterize/de-winterize the camper throughout the cold season. So we are leaving the furnace on. We could obviously also plug in an electric heater, but that won't pipe heat to the under belly. I currently have it set at 50 degrees, hoping that is enough heat for the closed underbelly. So trying to find the lowest thermostat setting (to minimize propane usage) without risk of things freezing underneath. Any other recommendations appreciated!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to give it a shot with tank heating pads left on all winter, and keeping the gas furnace at 45 degrees. I have 3 30 lb tanks (2 installed, one as a spare.) and I am considering running to Tractor Supply and grabbing a 100 lb tank for $129 that can siton the ground beside the camper and pull the hose out of the tank compartment to attach. That is around an 80 lb tank empty and 180 lb tank full.... I do not really like that full weight, but being able to go a month on tanks in the back driveway would be nice. Last year with my bumper pull I found that I could burn a 20 lb tank and a half in a weekend if it is in the teens. My wife does not accept being cold. So if we do use it, it will be at 70°F or more using propane and the electric fireplace.

I've tossed around the idea of making some form of skirting. Maybe foam board and 2"x1" trim board? Block the wind and keep in some amount of heat?
    2020.5 Reflection 311BHS Dual AC, 2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Level 2, 3.73 / 392 Hemi 14,404.34 lb towing and 3,004.34 payload, 2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5EB CC/LB, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2014 Wrangler Willys Edition, 2019 Iron Bull 14K 22' Equipment Trailer, 2019 Quality Trailers 7K 18' Utility Trailer

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We started our spring trip at the end of February, from the Pittsburgh area. I ran the furnace for about two days, prior to departure, just to warm everything up. Then I de-winterized everything.

I have a thermometer with two remotes. Bought it on Amazon for less than $20. I put one sensor in the basement, near the water panel. I left the other one on a counter in the kitchen. I put the remote in the house, where I could keep an eye on the temperature both in the basement as well as the upstairs. It worked great. The furnace did not run constantly, but it did keep a pretty even temperature between the two areas.

We didn’t run the furnace while traveling, and noticed that there was enough insulation (plus dual-pane windows) to keep the temp above 50 in both areas, throughout the day of driving. Once we arrive at a destination, we just turned on the propane tanks and ran the furnace, along with the fireplace heater.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VicKurt View Post
    I currently have it set at 50 degrees, hoping that is enough heat for the closed underbelly. ... Any other recommendations appreciated!
    It takes about 4 hours of 29f or less to freeze things that are outside and exposed. It takes even more cold and time to freeze things inside. I have not checked to see what the lowest setting on the propane heat is, but I would think that is adequate, 35-40 ish, wild guess. Open the low water point and drain, keep some propane heat on it. Open the cabinet doors. I think you will be fine. Avoid electric heat, that heats the cabin pretty good but doesn't heat the guts.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750