User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many have purchased 3/4 ton trucks and have learned this difficult lesson. There are all of the weight ratings (GCWR, payload, RAWR, FAWR, GVWR, etc.) that must be met to tow safely/legally. Tow rating is just one. As always there is probably and imperceptibly small disclaimer at the bottom of each ad mentioning “stellar tow capacity” that states you should check all of these before you can determine if the truck can do the job you are purchasing it to perform. As others have stated the power train is the same for many of these trucks so yes it can handle the 17K or whatever they said. We have a remodeling company and have several Fords one is a SRW F350 diesel with a GVWR of 11500/payload of roughly 3600 and a second is an F550 flatbed with a GVWR of 19500 and payload of just over 10000. Engine and transmission are the same (F550 actually as the detuned version of the 6.7 so less HP, etc). The F350 has a 3.55 rear axle and the F550 has a 4.88 rear axle so the rear axle ratio and chassis are the differences here.

The first thing to do is to get weighed on the CAT scale as others have suggested so you know exactly where you stand. From there you can determine your next move. As also stated by others a SRW one ton should have adequate payload to suit your needs. I definitely prefer a diesel power plant as it makes towing a pleasant experience, although it does eat up some payload capacity. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some great advice on here already, but wanted to share a great article. I got to know Doug (writer) when we participated in another forum together and had the same camper.

When he first started he didn't know much about vehicle and RV weights and has since become a huge advocate of understanding and educating people on this and many other topics.

Wanted to share this not just for those in this thread currently but for any that may read it in the future as well as I have seen this topic so many times.

https://learntorv.com/what-can-i-tow/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks alot. this article should be required reading for every prospective fifth wheel buyer. i wish i could turn the clock back about eight months and get a life do-over.

we're formulating an affordable corrective action plan:

- pitch my slider hitch. replacing it with a goosebox, saving about 200 lbs.
    - travel with empty tanks(hello rest stops and no more boondocking at walmart), saving about 72 lbs of pin weight.
    - revisit what cargo we carry in the trailer to make up any difference in overage.
    - we go on a diet

if not that, we're either getting a 3500 or going with a tag-along.

is there another option?
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS. Equalizer 1600 hitch. 2020 Chevrolet 2500 diesel short bed. Charley and Janis. Pets Zoie and Harley.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain. Get it weighed.

I think when you scale your trailer and truck you may find that you’re almost 1,000 lbs over your payload. A 1 ton will give you an extra 1000+ lbs of payload.

As others have stated a 5th wheel pin weight is normally 20-23% of trailer weight, not the 15% that a bumper pull travel trailer hitch weight. My 337RLS came from factory with 2220 lbs of pin weight. When load for travel it’s 2900 lbs.

A 2018 Ram 3/4 ton holds its value so trading it in on a 1 ton may not be as costly as you think.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally think the 3/4 ton and 303 make a good combination. About weighing, a CAT scale is good but a RV specific weighing is better. Usually these can be done a most rallies. We run 200 lbs light on payload with ours, and have 30,000 on our trailer. On our truck, our car original Firestone tires went 24,000 miles. I just put our second set of Michelin’s on at 72,000. I put timbrens on the rear early on. With 76,000 now I plan to put new shocks and Helwig sway bars front and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weigh with loaded as you would travel, and without the trailer.

Once done, compare loads to tire/wheel/axle/payload ratings. Since the attitude of the truck/trailer seems good, you may be within the first 3 ratings and not crazy over the payload rating. If so, it's a matter of using good judgement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for your post.

well, folks, i weighed the truck this morning with the hitch and a full tank of fuel, me, and the stuff i normally put in the truck. gulp......

4900 front; 6000 allowed per sticker.

3440 rear; 6500 allowed per sticker.

adding the wife and dogs yields an additional 200 lbs. that makes the truck 8540; 10000 allowed per sticker. now if one of you would be willing to haul the trailer where and when i need you to, we're in good shape.

otherwise, i need to add 1675 @15% or 2221 @20%. in other words, i'm anywhere from 215 - 761 over on ccc. i'll weigh the trailer in december when we leave again, but either way i'm over.

any ideas short of trading trucks? i prefer this over trading the 5er. the truck has depreciated way less than the 303rls.

thanks
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS. Equalizer 1600 hitch. 2020 Chevrolet 2500 diesel short bed. Charley and Janis. Pets Zoie and Harley.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to stay under the sticker than your only real choice is to change trucks or trailers. The 10,000lbs limit to keep them in the class 2 classification is killing you. (and every other 2500 except for 2020 GM's)
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charley patton View Post
    thanks alot. this article should be required reading for every prospective fifth wheel buyer. i wish i could turn the clock back about eight months and get a life do-over.

we're formulating an affordable corrective action plan:

- pitch my slider hitch. replacing it with a goosebox, saving about 200 lbs.
    - travel with empty tanks(hello rest stops and no more boondocking at walmart), saving about 72 lbs of pin weight.
    - revisit what cargo we carry in the trailer to make up any difference in overage.
    - we go on a diet

if not that, we're either getting a 3500 or going with a tag-along.

is there another option?

With respect to the hitch: changing to the goosebox will save the difference between the combined weight of the current hitch and pin-box vs the total weight of the goosebox. That could be where you got the 200lbs but I wanted to make sure you looked at the whole picture. The Anderson Ultimate hitch might be good for you (might be even lighter than the goosebox swap).

You definitely need to take the trailer to get it weighed too before you purchase anything.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned my lesson the expensive way. I have Reflection 295RL 150 Series and I was over truck's GVWR by 60 lbs when it wasn't even loaded. So ended up trading my F250 diesel to a F350 DRW since we have plan to upgrade to a Solitude 310GK.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast