Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

someone pls tell me i made an arithmetic error - cargo capacity problem

i've read many posts, re: my question, but the responses are a bit beyond my pay grade to understand.

we have made our annual trip out west and one special trip to maine, since buying my new 303rls and 2018 ram 2500 diesel in april. when i got back, i suddenly realized almost all the tread was gone on the rear firestones. that got me to thinking that this just wasn't right somehow. my truck only drops a couple of inches when the trailer is hooked up(no sag at all), and the trailer bubble level says it's pretty near perfect level when hooked up. i bought the diesel, because of the oh wow torque and 17k plus towing capacity(more than enough for the 303rls. literally everyone i've talked to has said: "oh, you've got more than enough truck for the load."

soooo, i went to the door jamb sticker. here's what it says: gvwr @ 10,000; dry weight @ 7799; payload @ 2200.

i weighed all the "stuff(and i mean everything)". it came in @ 775. add propane tanks @ 110, battery @ 60, assume a full fresh tank @ 480. that totals 1425 lbs. add that to my 9732 303rls dry weight, and you get 11,157 lbs. plenty of towing margin. so far, so good. but when i take 15% of the total for tongue weight, i get 1675 lbs. add two people, two dogs, 3/4 tank of fuel, and my 280 lb b&w hitch, i blow the payload limit by over 300 lbs.

is 300 lb too much to be over for this configuration? i can't figure out what to cut out to get within limits. any ideas?

how can dodge advertise that they have a truck capable of pulling 17,000 lbs, when the 15% tongue weight puts the truck over its payload capacity before anything else is added?????

thanks in advance for your input and ideas.
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS. Equalizer 1600 hitch. 2020 Chevrolet 2500 diesel short bed. Charley and Janis. Pets Zoie and Harley.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you had the combo on a CAT scale yet? The rear axle weight with and without the trailer will give you the pin weight. I would start there so you know if you really are over the payload rating on the truck and how far. You definitely have enough power to pull your trailer but a 3/4 truck usually maxes out on payload due to the heavy diesel engine. 2200 pounds of payload is pretty common for a 2500 diesel, my 2017 F250 diesel had that exact same rating. Good luck.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, i haven't scaled it yet. it's kinda ironic that i bought the diesel to give me enuf umphh, not realizing i was gonna pay a payload penalty. i guess i should of studied more before i bought the truck. problem is i can't get a dually in my garage. i'm not sure what i would have purchased in retrospect.
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS. Equalizer 1600 hitch. 2020 Chevrolet 2500 diesel short bed. Charley and Janis. Pets Zoie and Harley.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charley patton View Post
    no, i haven't scaled it yet. it's kinda ironic that i bought the diesel to give me enuf umphh, not realizing i was gonna pay a payload penalty. i guess i should of studied more before i bought the truck. problem is i can't get a dually in my garage. i'm not sure what i would have purchased in retrospect.
    I just bought a 2019 RAM 3500 and payload is 3838 lbs so you don't need a dually maybe just a 3500.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need a dually to tow a 303. The 1 ton single wheel version of your truck would have plenty of payload for you. Best advice is to run your setup across the scales and see exactly what you're dealing with.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know how you feel, this weight and payload and tow rating stuff can give you heartburn lol. There is a little inner club here known as the "two time tow vehicle club" that hopefully you won't have to join. A single rear wheel 3500 might have been a better choice.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the one reason why I went with Andersen Ultimate Hitch 35lbs is amazing. Versus 280 lbs

2020 Solitude 310 GK
    2019 Ford F350 Diesel CCSW
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've read many posts, re: my question, but the responses are a bit beyond my pay grade to understand.

we have made our annual trip out west and one special trip to maine, since buying my new 303rls and 2018 ram 2500 diesel in april. when i got back, i suddenly realized almost all the tread was gone on the rear firestones. that got me to thinking that this just wasn't right somehow. my truck only drops a couple of inches when the trailer is hooked up(no sag at all), and the trailer bubble level says it's pretty near perfect level when hooked up. i bought the diesel, because of the oh wow torque and 17k plus towing capacity(more than enough for the 303rls. literally everyone i've talked to has said: "oh, you've got more than enough truck for the load."

soooo, i went to the door jamb sticker. here's what it says: gvwr @ 10,000; dry weight @ 7799; payload @ 2200.

i weighed all the "stuff(and i mean everything)". it came in @ 775. add propane tanks @ 110, battery @ 60, assume a full fresh tank @ 480. that totals 1425 lbs. add that to my 9732 303rls dry weight, and you get 11,157 lbs. plenty of towing margin. so far, so good. but when i take 15% of the total for tongue weight, i get 1675 lbs. add two people, two dogs, 3/4 tank of fuel, and my 280 lb b&w hitch, i blow the payload limit by over 300 lbs.

is 300 lb too much to be over for this configuration? i can't figure out what to cut out to get within limits. any ideas?

how can dodge advertise that they have a truck capable of pulling 17,000 lbs, when the 15% tongue weight puts the truck over its payload capacity before anything else is added?????

thanks in advance for your input and ideas.
    Your math seems to be accurate but likely your pin weight is closer to 20% with a fiver. As said previously weigh the truck by itself and with the trailer and you can confirm if you are over or not. BTW you don't need to add fuel to the weight as a full tank of fuel and passengers weight up to 300 lbs is taken into account per the J2807. As for that bald tires I have read a lot of poor reviews on the Firestone Transforce tires on our truck. Some people only get 20,000 miles out of them and other do really well.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rob, this is one of the things that confused me from earlier posts, re: "J" spec. i thought fuel and people needed to be added to the payload calculation. are you saying in effect, that i have added the weight of two people and fuel unnecessarily? if so, that takes care of my over capacity problem.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rob, this is one of the things that confused me from earlier posts, re: "J" spec. i thought fuel and people needed to be added to the payload calculation. are you saying in effect, that i have added the weight of two people and fuel unnecessarily? if so, that takes care of my over capacity problem.
    I know you asked Rob, but I'll give my take... I find the yellow rating to be confusing, so while I do give it consideration, I'm more concerned with the actual axle weight ratings and the Gross Combined rating. These are from my old 3500 single, but you get the idea.

John

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Label2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	23044

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Label1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	23043
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison