User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talked to Lippert today and throwing my hands up in the air re: 5th wheel hitches

Have a 2019 F350, CCSB diesel and 2020 Reflection 303RLS. Goal is to keep my bed as clear as possible and not have the heaviness of a slider (manual or automatic) Called Lippert customer service, technical and asked them about voiding frame warranty with the following hitch setups;
    1) Reese 5th Airborne sidewinder - said the only approved change to my pinbox (Lippert 1621) is the Reese Goosebox (per customer suppport). Etrailer recommended this sidewinder with the B&W Companion.
    2) Reese Goosebox - this is the only pinbox change that will not cause warranty problems (per customer support)
    3) Andersen Ultimate - not approved and could cause warranty problems (per customer support). Understand Andersen has it's own warranty but has anyone had to use it? Concerned about how long it would take to process a claim and how much will the legal fees be on my part if it goes to court.
    With option 2 & 3 I could hit the truck cab during a brain freeze.
    I have done hours of reading about hitches in this forum and see answers to the contrary of what I was told today.
    Question I'm asking myself is did I get the right info from customer service (they should be well trained)?
    Tonight I sent the above info to Lippert customer service. Understand it'll take 2 days to get a response. Will post their reply in this forum.
    Mike and Marita
    2019 F350 Lariat CCSB 6.7L Diesel SRW
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
    Reese Elite 5th Airborne Sidewinder, Reese custom wedge, B&W Companion hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it’s worth our last truck was a short bed towing a 367BHS which is 41 feet from pin to rear end and I never used the slider hitch (other than to test it’s operation). We had the B&W Companion slider and it was a big, heavy beast so I understand your desire to consider different options. You do always need to be cognizant of your surroundings as well as the relationship between the RV front cap and the cab of the truck but it can be done. I was always careful about the sites I chose for camping (and still am with a long bed truck for that matter). Never a problem for us we prefer full hookups in RV parks anyway. Lots of pull throughs, etc. no boon docking or state parks. Good luck I hope someone on here with those setups you are considering can give you some advice.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LCI can't claim it voids the warranty, and by claiming "may" have issues is a blanket "vague" statement. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects third party products. LCI would have to prove any frame failure was specifically caused by the use of the AUH or the Reese 5th Airborne. Also... if you dig far enough around in this forum, you will find a letter sent to a member from LCI specifically stating the use of the AUH doesn't void the warranty. Note however in the event of a failure, they could make it difficult which is why Andersen has their warranty coverage for piece of mind. I can guarantee that if a frame failure... they are going to drag it out regardless of product used. One thing I have learned about RV warranty claims, there is nothing that happens fast - doesn't matter if it is GD, LCI, etc.

Note that LCI has a vested interest in steering you towards the Goosebox, as LCI has an exclusive marketing agreement to sell it. I'm not knocking it as a product, as reviews are good. There are plenty of folks with GD's and other brands using the AUH, Reese 5th Airborne and the Goosebox. Go with best fits your needs as they all serve a different niche.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcl1jw View Post
    Have a 2019 F350, CCSB diesel and 2020 Reflection 303RLS. Goal is to keep my bed as clear as possible and not have the heaviness of a slider (manual or automatic) Called Lippert customer service, technical and asked them about voiding frame warranty with the following hitch setups;
    1) Reese 5th Airborne sidewinder - said the only approved change to my pinbox (Lippert 1621) is the Reese Goosebox (per customer suppport). Etrailer recommended this sidewinder with the B&W Companion.
    2) Reese Goosebox - this is the only pinbox change that will not cause warranty problems (per customer support)
    3) Andersen Ultimate - not approved and could cause warranty problems (per customer support). Understand Andersen has it's own warranty but has anyone had to use it? Concerned about how long it would take to process a claim and how much will the legal fees be on my part if it goes to court.
    With option 2 & 3 I could hit the truck cab during a brain freeze.
    I have done hours of reading about hitches in this forum and see answers to the contrary of what I was told today.
    Question I'm asking myself is did I get the right info from customer service (they should be well trained)?
    Tonight I sent the above info to Lippert customer service. Understand it'll take 2 days to get a response. Will post their reply in this forum.
    Never did receive a written response from Lippert regarding my options. On this site I did find letters, dated a few years ago, from Lippert to Grand Design saying the 5th Airborne Sidewinder and AUH were approved but since since then it seems their official verbal response is they are not approved and nothing in writing.
    I went with the Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder and the B&W Companion hitch with custom wedge. My feeling is the Sidewinder with air and a shock will put less stress on the 5th wheel and the B&W Companion breaks into 2 pieces that I can handle. Tested the setup in a parking lot and I can get over 90 degrees - went real slow and when I saw what the wheels looked like I hope to never have to turn that much. The trailer will not hit the rear window but it will put a dent in the side of the truck. Took our first trip in Jan 2200 miles one way - from Northern NY to South Texas. The trailer looks like it's riding a little high with plenty of bed clearance - over 8 inches. Hitch and Sidewinder are set on the lowest settings - Westlake 16" tires and truck tires 18". Tire pressure on all 6 wheels stayed basically the same for the whole trip. They actually stayed within one to two psi of the F350 rear wheels - cold pressure of 80psi. Ride was smooth and the 5th wheel is so much easier to tow than our previous TT. This is the first I've towed a 5th wheel so have nothing else to compare my setup to.
    Mike and Marita
    2019 F350 Lariat CCSB 6.7L Diesel SRW
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
    Reese Elite 5th Airborne Sidewinder, Reese custom wedge, B&W Companion hitch