Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New camper trip 3 - propane leak around oven

Hi all,

We took our camper on it's 3rd trip. We are in the upper midwest and used the furnace all weekend. Everything worked great. We got home late last night and turned on the furnace as it was supposed to get close to freezing and we didn't want anything to freeze before we unpacked it today. When we opened it today there was a very potent propane smell coming from the oven and stove area. You can definitely smell it by the burners, and inside the oven as well. I'm hoping we just need to tighten the connector to the oven/stove. There is a drawer under the oven but unfortunately it's not big enough for me to squeeze myself in to check the connection. We have a family trip with it this Thurs-Sun so we won't be able to take it in for service. So, next question, how do you pull the oven out?
    Last edited by Timmer; 10-14-2019 at 07:28 PM.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Under you unit where the kitchen slide moves out should be a propane switch valve to isolate the slide area propane line. It will be a brass unit with valve handle. Turn it off and check again. Also spray soapy water on the connections - the leak may be there.

Also are you sure the smell is not cumming from a furnace duct?
    Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Under you unit where the kitchen slide moves out should be a propane switch valve to isolate the slide area propane line. It will be a brass unit with valve handle. Turn it off and check again. Also spray soapy water on the connections - the leak may be there.

Also are you sure the smell is not cumming from a furnace duct?
    Hope this helps
    Thanks for the response! I could spell the propane around the burners, inside the oven, and in the bottom drawer under the oven. I'm fairly confident it's coming from that hose or connection.

I wasn't aware of the shut-off valve. That is most helpful. We were thinking we would use electric heat but would much prefer using the furnace.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So you found the shut off valve?
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    So you found the shut off valve?
    So when our unit was delivered to us the oven didn't work. Dealer replaced. We hadn't used the rig until the following season, and now we smell propane in the kitchen whenever we turn it on. I too want to find the connection for the oven inside, as I'm sure they didn't put it together right. So besides the shut off, where else does the oven have a connection? And how does the oven come out. And no, not taking back to dealer, and by the time we used it and found the problem it was past the warranty date.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would give GD customer service a call (have your vin number) I am sure they can help. Have you checked the information that came with the trailer. I remember in mine along withthe owners manual were install instructions for many of the appliances. Also if you pull the oven model number you should be able to find something on line.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. The shut off valve under the slide stopped the leak. That will get us by until we get it in.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing that concerns me most about this leak is why did your LP detector not go off ??
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    The thing that concerns me most about this leak is why did your LP detector not go off ??
    Oh, good question! Slow leak maybe? We turned the main gas off when we smelled it

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you pop the top plate off the stove (around the burner assembly) you should be able to see most of the LP hook up lines and valves.

Check to see if one is loose.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS