User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking at the question from maybe a more simplistic view. I can't imagine a residential refrigerator NOT staying cold enough for 4 or 5 hours with no power to it, and the doors closed while you are traveling. Stop and think, try to remember if you ever experienced a power outage at your house and how long it was out. We had one at our house about 5 years ago where the power was off for right at 12 hours. We opened and closed the refrigerator doors several times during that outage, and when it came back on, the refrigerator temp. Had gone up only 3 or 4 degrees. I can't see 4/5 hours as being an issue personally.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ve pulled long , hard 12 hour days a few of times since owning our 310GK-R. When we arrive the temps are still reading the same , ice still frozen hard . A couple of these have been in Texas summer heat heading home from the mountains. We have two deep cycle flooded batteries and a 1000 watt ( best I recall ) inverter. Of course the truck charge line supplements the needed current. Battery voltage still shows fine on the leveling panel upon arrival.
    Charlie.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are in our 8th season of fulltiming, and oddly enough we have been having some of the same discussions, tending toward spending several months static, then travelling a bit. Up size, down size, move to stix and bricks... just can't make up our minds. So TX for Nov/Dec, then ski resorts Jan/Feb/Mar. April just touring, May hosting/kayak guides, then what, don't know yet... Maybe check out Okanagan, WA, never been there, yet.

If we spent less time rolling we would be all over the residential refrigerator, even on 30 amp service they are just more efficient and trouble free, would love to have a frost free one.... But I guess until we actually do slow down we will stick with the gas evaporation refrigerator.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    - we plan on upgrading to a Solitude 310GK around March of 2020. The change will also get us a number of other nice perks that I'm sure we'll enjoy in the long run.

Rob
    Rob & Laura - exciting news.......good for you two ! You always do an excellent job of thinking things through and sharing your feedback. Great discussion on the "R" fridge option. All the feedback helps us with our decision (at some point) too. Look forward to reading your updates over the next few months.

Rob - since you are FTers buying from a local dealer is a non-issue, do you know - does buying at a dealer close to the factory save on delivery charges or all dealers charged the same like the automotive industry ? If not like the auto industry, seems buying close to the factory could save a bunch of change depending on the distance between dealer and factory. This would allow you do a shakedown as near as possible to the factory just in case. It would also not leave you wondering about any negative "impacts" to your new RV done by the delivery driver.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Rob & Laura - exciting news.......good for you two ! You always do an excellent job of thinking things through and sharing your feedback. Great discussion on the "R" fridge option. All the feedback helps us with our decision (at some point) too. Look forward to reading your updates over the next few months.

Rob - since you are FTers buying from a local dealer is a non-issue, do you know - does buying at a dealer close to the factory save on delivery charges or all dealers charged the same like the automotive industry ? If not like the auto industry, seems buying close to the factory could save a bunch of change depending on the distance between dealer and factory. This would allow you do a shakedown as near as possible to the factory just in case. It would also not leave you wondering about any negative "impacts" to your new RV done by the delivery driver.

Dan
    Dan,

I suspect that you are right and that purchasing closer to the factory would save some transport charges, but there are several factors that make it preferable for us to buy from our original dealer in Augusta, GA:

1) We have scheduled our annual medical and dental appointments there with our providers (who we have seen for years) for the time-frame the new unit will be delivered.

2) There are several items out of the Reflection in storage there, including the tri-fold sofa, that we need to retrieve before we trade in the Reflection.

3) We have two places we like to stay in the area while we do appointments, etc. We have reserved time in town for the appointments delivery of the Solitude and about 2-1/2 weeks at the Army resort out at the lake before moving back into town for another couple of weeks. (The move to the lake is necessary because everyone gets kicked out of the parks in Augusta during the Masters golf tournament so they can double or triple the rates for that period). The short road trip and extra pack-ups and set-ups will let us put all systems through their paces, too. In total, we'll be in the area seven to eight weeks after we take delivery of the Solitude.

4) I have two adopted kids (with my late wife) who live in Augusta. Extended times there afford us some time with them.

5) Finally - from experience - the weather is likely to be more comfortable the first week of March in Augusta, GA, than in Indiana for "moving" from one home to another.

Rob

PS: Confirmed with Grand Design yesterday - new Solitudes are shipping with MOR/ryde pin boxes instead of the RotoFlex; suspension is MOR/ryde 3000 with wet bolts and 3/4" thick shackles; the residential frig units come with an inverter installed (the dealer installs the batteries per customer requirements and there is room for multiple batteries); the 310s are back to glass sliding shower doors. The shower curtain setup was only in production for two weeks before customer feedback caused GD to switch back to glass doors!
    Last edited by Second Chance; 10-18-2019 at 11:07 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great upgrade. Looking forward to pics and reviews. Is yours coming with solar?
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    ... Is yours coming with solar?
    It will come with the solar/satellite channel for the cabling to the basement from the roof, but we are not ordering it with solar panels, regulator, or larger inverter. We don't boondock. By all accounts (above and in other threads and confirmed by GD), with a couple of batteries and the 1,000 watt inverter installed with the residential frig, the frig will do well on travel days without a solar charging system. If we see a need down the road, there's always the option of installing solar.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Bottom line - we plan on upgrading to a Solitude 310GK around March of 2020.

Re-doing all the upgrades you've made to your Reflection would be nothing short of daunting for me -- especially if I were already full-time. You *know* there will need to be a ton of mods that will have to happen on any new rig to make it right. How are you going to manage that without a shop and shop-tools? I'm asking respectfully. . .

Also, we've got a 2018 310GK, non-R. Our fridge definitely ices up. I've got a ton of solar and a huge battery bank. Wish I had the residential refer - mostly to control the frost. I'm pretty sure I'll be adding a fan-unit next year to try and get that under control.

One thing about the 310GK. The basement storage volume is disturbingly limited. Significantly less than the 30' Keystone Laredo we started out with. Make sure you can live with the basement storage you'll get in the 310GK.

Also, the our 310GK didn't come standard with slide toppers. Without slide toppers in the bedroom and over the dining and seating area, the noise from rain is disturbing. Like -- it wakes you up and you can't hear the TV. I added a bedroom topper this year. Big improvement. Next year I'll cover the dining area slide.

Good luck.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    Re-doing all the upgrades you've made to your Reflection would be nothing short of daunting for me -- especially if I were already full-time. You *know* there will need to be a ton of mods that will have to happen on any new rig to make it right. How are you going to manage that without a shop and shop-tools? I'm asking respectfully. . . The only modifications we've made to ours have been the MOR/ryde IS with disk brakes, Sailun load range G tires, the Demco Glide Ride pin box, and LED rope lighting around the inside of the pantry. Since GD has switched to the MOR/ryde 3000 suspension with wet bolts, brass bushings, and heavy-duty shackles (from the POS Lippert EquaFlex), I'll be OK with the suspension. The Westlake tires on our 337 were fine - we just lost one to a piece of rebar and another to a bent spindle (which I now realize was my fault). The 310 comes with LR G Westlakes - which I will replace with Sailuns when needed. We started off with a 3/4-ton SRW truck and now have a 1-ton DRW. If I'm not happy with the self-adjusting drum brakes on the 310 (the drum brakes on the 337 weren't self-adjusting), I'll likely install disc brakes. I don't regret installing the independent suspension on the 337 since it had the Equaflex, but I can live with the new setup on the Solitude. The new Solitudes are also shipping with a MOR/ryde pin box, which would be my first choice, anyway. Oh - and GD is putting LED rope lighting in the pantries. Probably got the idea from those of us that were doing it on our own. As I said above, the main things we miss having on the Reflection are auto-leveling (about $2,000 to install 4-point electric on the 337) and double pane windows (not really an option at this point on our rig). We'll remove all the rest of our gadgets and toys from the Reflection and take them with us.

Also, we've got a 2018 310GK, non-R. Our fridge definitely ices up. I've got a ton of solar and a huge battery bank. Wish I had the residential refer - mostly to control the frost. I'm pretty sure I'll be adding a fan-unit next year to try and get that under control. Yep - have dealt with an evaporative frig for the past four years (including having the entire cooling unit replaced and the "recall box" replaced. The freezer got a lot easier to maintain after I learned to cut a couple of the flexible plastic cutting mats to fit against the back walls of the freezer compartments. Just pull them out and the freezer is defrosted!

One thing about the 310GK. The basement storage volume is disturbingly limited. Significantly less than the 30' Keystone Laredo we started out with. Make sure you can live with the basement storage you'll get in the 310GK. It still has significantly more basement storage than our 337 (which isn't a drop-frame trailer).

Also, the our 310GK didn't come standard with slide toppers. Without slide toppers in the bedroom and over the dining and seating area, the noise from rain is disturbing. Like -- it wakes you up and you can't hear the TV. I added a bedroom topper this year. Big improvement. Next year I'll cover the dining area slide. My wife grew up in the tropics and LOVES the sound of rain on the bed slide (I'm fine with it, too). The Solitudes have significantly better slide roof insulation than the Reflections, so she may not be happy about that part (I haven't brought it to her attention). We don't want toppers because of the amount of time we spend out west. I rarely have to get out the ladder to sweep off the tops of the slides.

Good luck.

-Steve
    See above...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Planning question for those of you who already have a 310GK: can anyone tell me what the headroom is in the bathroom (on the floor - not in the shower)?

Thanks,

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast