User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full-timing, life decisions and possible upgrade

The "old-timers" on the forum know that Laura and I have been full-time since the summer of 2015 - and loving it, I might add. Eight months of discussions this year have brought us to the conclusion that we want to continue this lifestyle for the foreseeable future, but with some changes in how we do it.

One of the biggest aspects of an anchored life (i.e. stix 'n brix in a community) that we miss is the community itself. Sure, we've made friends along the road (literally), but either they or we move on to the next place and communication goes to email or text rather than face-to-face over a meal, etc. I'm also not getting any younger (I don't understand why Laura doesn't seem to change, though), and the thought of having a couple of places we can stay put during the super hot and super cold months starts looking more appealing. We have found two such situations that provide for our seasonal/climate desires as well as solid communities where (most) everyone supports each other. So, we have put down our deposits and gotten on the waiting lists at the Escapees co-op parks at Chimacum, WA, (Evergreen Coho SKP Park) and Aguanga, CA, (Jojoba Hills SKP Resort). It will likely take about 18 months to come to the top of the list at Jojoba Hills and up to four years at Evergreen Coho. In the meantime, we'll continue to do what we've been doing but with longer stays for summer and winter wherever we do that.

Now, those old-timers on the forum also know that I've posted several threads about auto-leveling. These were aimed at installing a system on our Reflection which was built before auto-leveling became standard. We love our 337 and it is the perfect size and floor plan for us. However, we also don't have double pane windows, a convection microwave, a dishwasher, as big a frig as we would like, or W/D prep outside the clothes closet... you can probably figure out where this is going. It just so happens that GD makes a Solitude just a few inches shorter than our Reflection 337 with exactly the same floor plan with all the things (and more) that we would want in the long term as full-timers. Bottom line - we plan on upgrading to a Solitude 310GK around March of 2020. The change will also get us a number of other nice perks that I'm sure we'll enjoy in the long run.

NOW - A QUESTION FOR THE GROUP: The 310GK can be had with either an 18 cu. ft. RV refrigerator (AC/propane) or an 18 cu. ft. residential unit. We travel less than 200 miles on a travel day and don't boondock. The RV refrigerators aren't as good as the residential units at getting the freezer as cold and we've had several issues with the Norcold 12 cu. ft. unit we have in the 337 (have and to replace the entire cooling unit and the "recall box"). I'm leaning toward the residential refrigerator if the consensus is that it will hold temps OK on four hour travel days - mostly spring and fall. What thinkest thou?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you also upgrade your battery bank some, the more economical running of the residential refrigerator, combined with some small level of current from the tow vehicle should work fine for 4 hours.

Some math to prove it out then. Let's put the residential fridge on the high side at 200w (most are well under that now), and give it a 75% duty cycle. That gives us 600w of usage in 4 hours. A 100Ah Lithium battery or 2 100Ah lead-acid batteries so you can use 100Ah = about 1000w usable.

If you can get 4 amps from the truck to the coach, 4 amps* 75% (not driving non stop, are you?) - 9 amps at 12 volts over 4 hours, or an extra 100w or so, so in 4 hours time you would have 1100 watts available to run your 600w of usage. If the fridge needed to run continually, that would still work at 800w of load during 4 hours.

200w for the fridge is likely to include the 1A extra load most inverters will draw from the battery bank.

Summary... I think I am talking myself into a residential fridge on the next trailer. More batteries and some solar panels, and you still go where you want when you want... burning less propane, and enjoying colder ice cream. Safer too.

Jim
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also have had the residential vs RV fridge debate . We learned Res units come with an inverter and 2 batteries so 4 to 6 hr travel days shouldn't be an issue. After reading about the Res IF we upgrade ( we like the discontinued 3350 and will be on the lookout for a good deal) we want the Res for many of the reasons you stated. Even though we aren't "full" time we do spend more time in the RV ..more like 3/4 time
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    ... We learned Res units come with an inverter and 2 batteries so 4 to 6 hr travel days shouldn't be an issue....
    Wow - that kinda makes it a no-brainer! Thanks, Gary!

And thanks for the numbers, Jim. Reinforces the decision.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full-timing, life decisions and possible upgrade

We also have had the residential vs RV fridge debate . We learned Res units come with an inverter and 2 batteries so 4 to 6 hr travel days shouldn't be an issue. After reading about the Res IF we upgrade ( we like the discontinued 3350 and will be on the lookout for a good deal) we want the Res for many of the reasons you stated. Even though we aren't "full" time we do spend more time in the RV ..more like 3/4 time
    I’m headed to pick up a 3350 res on Thursday. Found one for less than $50k at great escapes in Arkansas. I bought my 379 from them a couple years ago, but it got hit by lightning and hail in a bad storm and I do t want to wait to two months to get it fixed...so I’m trading. Looking forward to the new, smaller, home away from home!
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 379fls-r

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

Rob
    You're welcome, but this is Marcy
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for it Rob! The 310 is a great unit not totally unlike our 3350. If it fits your life style then go for it!
    Our 12cf RV fridge has its issues. We don’t boondocks and will always be connected to AC power so the 18cf res would have been better for us. We don’t travel more than 4.5-5 hours before we plug into AC again.
    Washer dryer - we just did a weeks worth of laundry at the Escapees laundry, 6$ and 1 hour later we were done. No need for W/D in RV. Besides it would subtract from CCC and would take a lot longer than 1 hour.
    Electric 6 way leveling 3.0 works great for us. I just don’t want the possible headaches of hydraulics. Dual pane windows would be ok but so far we haven’t found the big need. Yes hot here in Texas we just keep the shades down. We will only be up in the cold weather visiting kids 2 possible 3 months of year oct, nov Dec. otherwise back here in Texas.

37 foot is our sweat spot no longer. A little shorter 34 we could live with but no shorter.
    For us the dual sink bath keeps Tami and I out of each others way also great for reading the latest rag mag whilst visiting the throne.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome, but this is Marcy
    Thanks, Marcy.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ve had the same discussion about our 2014 303 with the Residential. I’m with Marcy on the 3350 for storage space and six levelers over the 2930. BTW, I saw that Great Escapes one also. but if extra money is not the issue then the 310 fits the bill. Good choices! I also think that Coachlight in Carthage had a 3350 and a Doug (one of the owners) makes deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

And thanks for the numbers, Jim. Reinforces the decision.

Rob
    Rob
    We have a res frig in our 300GK and really like it. I have two 6V wet cell batts and we usually don't travel more than 300 miles per day. We have never had any problems on the road. Our truck charges the batts while traveling just fine. I have a portable generator that we use if we dry camp. I don't think you will be sorry. Good luck.
    Rich
    Rich And Janet (no dog or cats, 8 grandkids but not with us all at once)
    Onalaska, WA
    2011 F350, 4X4, B&W hitch
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast