User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outtahere View Post
    One thing no one has mentioned is fire. Absorbtion fridges are a possible source of fire, while residential fridges are much less likely to catch fire. Residential fridges can be run off level to a greater degree than absorbtion fridges without damage to the boiler - since they don't have a boiler.
    I've been fulltiming in my 310GK for about a year and a half, including a trip from near San Diego to Alaska and back, and I couldn't be happier with my rig. The one thing I wish I had done differently is the fridge. I have 960 watts of solar on the roof and 3 Battle Born LiFePO batteries, and I boondock most of the time. I'm convinced my electrical system would power the newer residential fridge with little or no problem, although I do hang out where there's lots of sun.
    Residential refrigerators are safer, but the absorption units aren't nearly as risky as they used to be since the manufacturers started putting the "recall boxes" (overheat cut-off modules) on them - though the modules can be a PITA, too.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the circumstances under which those "recall" devices work. In particular check the temperatures in the boiler and see if the temps are over the temp at which the water will boil off and the anti corrosoion solution will also go out of solution. At Quartzsite this year I asked both a salesman and a tech rep for Dometic the boiler temp at which their device worked. I was told it was impossible to measure the boiler temp., although if you look at the Fridge Defender, they seem to be able to do just that.
    If you want to learn more, Google the term "Norcold class action settlement" and read the court papers.
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    Ford F350 CC, SB, SRW 4X4 with the 6.7 L diesel
    Pull Rite 18K superglide

James and his more or less faithful sidekick, Indy the Rescue Dog

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As regards the refrigerator, I have read some comments that the size of the residential refrigerator means the back window must be removed to replace it. I do not know if that is true, or if it matters.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John303 View Post
    As regards the refrigerator, I have read some comments that the size of the residential refrigerator means the back window must be removed to replace it. I do not know if that is true, or if it matters.
    The residential refrigerators are the same depth as the RV refrigerators - they have to fit in the same spot. With the doors off, our 18 cu. ft. Samsung residential frig will go through our door sideways with 1-1/2 inches to spare (though, at my age with a bad back, I wouldn't want to be the one to get it through there!).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The residential refrigerators are the same depth as the RV refrigerators - they have to fit in the same spot. With the doors off, our 18 cu. ft. Samsung residential frig will go through our door sideways with 1-1/2 inches to spare (though, at my age with a bad back, I wouldn't want to be the one to get it through there!).

Rob
    Good to know...I think it was a salesman trying to talk someone into buying what was on the lot.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John303 View Post
    I just had my Solitude converted over to the residential refrigerator and the dealer said they may have to remove the dining table slide window. However after careful measuring they were able to get the propane/electric fridge out the door by removing the doors etc. The Samsung when right in the door. FYI the propane fridge is a heavy beast, 330 pounds! The Samsung is 220 pounds so it was nice to remove 100 pounds from the heavy side of the trailer.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234