Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Actual weights

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just purchased the GD2250RK and will be pulling it with my 2018 F150 (5.0, 3.55,4x4, Towing Package and 20" wheels). The trucks rating according to the stickers on the vehicle are GCVWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) of 14,400, GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of 7,000, and Payload of 1,710. I took the truck to the cAt Scales and the truck weighs 5,600 with a full take of gas, my wife and I along with some tools that I always keep in the truck. That Leaves 1400 lbs. of payload capacity. With the The truck according to Ford's towing manual is Rated to tow 9,100 lbs. Then I subtract the estimated additional cargo of 200 lbs., my equalizer hitch weight of 100 lbs. This would Leave 1010 lbs for my hitch or tongue weight for my truck configuration and estimated cargo. You also have to watch how much weight you distribute across your trucks steering and drive axle. You also have to watch your trailer tires closely. You hear of all these blowouts with different brands of tires. My theory is that when the trailers weight rest on the tires for extended periods of time, the sidewall of the tire weakens over time. Some tires are constructed better than others. I plan on keeping the trailer with the wheels just off the ground when not in use for extended periods of time and covered.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's some real world info on my 2019 2250RK per CAT Scale. Trailer was loaded for a week long trip, carrying (2) 20# Propane tanks, 2 GC2 6V Batteries (about 120#), a full Fresh water tank (about 430#), and a few gallons of water in the black tank. Weight on the axles was 6220#, well within the 7000# rating. Weight on the hitch was 1280#, WAY MORE than I expected since the specs say it is 515# empty. Total trailer weight was 7500#, or about 500# overweight, most of which is attributable to the Fresh Water being full. That puts the hitch at 17% of the total, a little more than I would normally expect, but the Fresh tank is ahead of the axles, so that accounts for 3-4% of that. Fortunately, a lot of the weight is on the hitch (which my F350 can easily handle). The coupler on the 2250RK is rated for much more than even this weight, so that looks OK. I had the local commercial trailer shop take a look at all this and they say the setup is fine as long as the axles are under rated capacity. Hope this helps.
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2012 Ford F350 SRW 6.7L Crew Cab 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for all the information & thoughts. Looks like from what i'm hearing, plus the wife liking it better we will be going with the XLS22RBE as it seems to have a lighter hitch weight. Everything i'm hearing about the 2250RK everybody seems to be pushing close to a 1000lbs or more when loaded which doesn't leave us much room for payload with my F150. Pretty excited to get it as this will be our first TT, probably going to get it some time in late winter or early spring.
    Jason & Jamie
    2016 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we went with the 2250Rk vs the 22RBE earlier this year. Loaded "normal" weight for us 5930lbs on the axles, (f:3020lbs R:2910lbs) with a tongue weight of 850lbs, (includes 2 GC batteries, 30lb tank conversion, and hitch itself of 115lbs). We also looked pretty hard at the 22RBE. I agree it about the lighter weight, (and that bathroom!) but getting around the bed (a lot tighter vs the 2250) and our previous trailer (that we traded in for the 2250) had a slide on the awning side, was enough for us to go with the 2250. It didn't bother us at first, but the slide does take up a fair amount of awning real estate, which being in the PNW, we spend a fair amount of time under the awning lol. With the rear kitchen setup, it is fairly easy to get heavy stuff in the rear to offset some of the front storage weight. I have actually found mine to be on the tongue light side when going to dump since the kitchen tank is right by the rear bumper, and the black is by the axles. (grey 2 is ahead of that, with the fresh tank being under the bed and close to the hitch) We rarely travel with fresh water, as we usually fill up fresh tank close to the campground. Weights were taken at a local DOT scale.

towing with a 2007 5.7l Tundra DC w/4.30's

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 2500RL and pull with a 2019 Silverado High Country 4x4 with the 6.2L short bed. After we bought our Imagine I ran it across the CAT scales to compare it to the measurements of just my wife and myself in the truck no trailer. Have a Husky WDH that's around 90# Hope the below helps with your decision. We are well below and it pulls great with my 1/2 ton truck.

Truck Only - Myself and wife with about 150# in the bed
    Steer axle - 3400#
    Drive axle - 2720#
    Total weight - 6120#

Truck/Imagine 2500RL - Myself and wife 150# in bed and trailer loaded to camp
    Steer Axle - 3280#
    Drive axle - 3560# GVAW Max for my truck is 3800#
    Trailer axle - 6120# GVAW Max for 2500RL is 7495#
    Gross weight - 12960# GCWR Max for Silverado is 15,000#

Hitch weight - 720# Max for Silverado is 930#

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I put my 300GK on the scales, it was almost 10 percent heavier and over 10 percent nose heavier than the sticker and weight sheet showed.

I know that people will have you believe that each unit is individually weighed, but my experience is that either somebody's scale is wrong, or they are weighing random samples. The point is, never trust a document. Weigh it yourself.

About the 10 percent hitch weight on a bumper pull... That is a recommended weight distribution. It has nothing to do with actual weight of a trailer or how it's loaded. In my opinion, 10 percent is the minimum distribution on bumper pull. Slightly more is better, to avoid the wagging tail.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123