User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turning Point Wedge Blocks - Updated information

So this is for those of us that own 150 Series 5th wheels with the Turning Point Pin Box. Specifically those who want to use the Turning point feature. I know there some people who do not like the turning point feature and prefer not to use that feature. I am providing this information for those who need or want to use this feature.

I have been using the Turning Point Feature with the universal wedge block and my Husky 16K Hitch. I have been dissatisfied with the installation of the universal wedge block on my Turning Point King Pin Box. I was reading where some people with Curt Hitches had some major issues with the universal block and they had to use a custom wedge block for their hitch. The Engineer in me said that a custom wedge block for my hitch would make sense. It would provide more of a line to line fit with the hitch vs what I would call slop (Excess Gaps) in the universal wedge block. I recently stumbled on a Facebook post where someone was using a custom wedge block with a Husky 5th Wheel hitch. At that point I did not know one existed. I had been all over the Husky Hitch web site and posts on the Turning Point. What this person did was use a Reese Sidewinder wedge block made for their Husky hitch. After some research I found it on Amazon and purchased one. I was able to install it and it did what I expected it to do. It proves more of a line to line fit to my hitch. It is actually a wedge. The Universal Wedge has a round area to seat against the back of the hitch. The problem I see is that the universal wedge provides a point to point contact as apposed to a surface to surface contact. The custom wedge also takes up some slop in the slot of the hitch.

I have been looking for validation of doing this and what I found is that Lippert (LCI) has updated their instructions. It now includes a cross reference chart for the different Reese Wedges that are available for different hitches. Please see the attached chart and comments from the instructions. I have also attached pictures of the wedge block before it was installed on the turning point.

I hope this helps those who are using the Turning Point feature on their 150 Series Reflection 5th wheels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wedge Block 1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	23140Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wedge Block 2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	23139Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wedge Block List.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	23141Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Notes from new instructions.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	23142

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0001724.pdf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the turning point pin box paired with a Curt A16 hitch, the lippert wedge had too much play, so the dealer recommended a Curt wedge which fit is the gap much better than Lippet. I couldn' be happier going with the Curt wedge
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    manofslip:

Off topic but you mentioned the Husky web site. Do they have a forum regarding the hitches??

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    manofslip:

Off topic but you mentioned the Husky web site. Do they have a forum regarding the hitches??
    Hello,

Not sure about a forum. I just meant their Corporate web site.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Turning Point Wedge Blocks - Updated information

I don’t see the point in using the turning point at all on a trailer as small as the Reflection 150 series. I have it and even bought a slider hitch.
    I’ve never needed either one, after backing into 60+ campgrounds across 12 states over the past 18 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I don’t see the point in using the turning point at all on a trailer as small as the Reflection 150 series. I have it and even bought a slider hitch.
    I’ve never needed either one, after backing into 60+ campgrounds across 12 states over the past 18 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I understand that you have had no issues and don't use the turning point. This was for those who do use it. Until there Cab Crash Warning system I want to play it on the safe side of things. All it takes is that one time.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manofslip View Post
    I understand that you have had no issues and don't use the turning point.
    This was for those who do use it. Until there Cab Crash Warning system I want to play it on the safe side of things.
    All it takes is that one time.
    Yea I understand and I'm not trying to be an arse but I have a feeling the guy that isn't paying attention or is in a hurry or is just really bad at backing in is still going to hit his cab even if he uses a slider or the turning point feature or an 8 foot bed or all the above. This is why a dull knife is far more dangerous than a sharp one. With a sharp knife you are way more careful and pay attention to what you're doing.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a turning point hitch normally set to swivel and I had to switch to the locked position to take it in for service. When I was taking to the dealer we stopped in an open parking lot to test how far it would go before making contact. I was surprised how little I turned when backing before it came very close to the cab. So that being said I will most definitely switch back to the hitch in the swivel position.

Plus when I put the hitch in the lock position it was on our last trip about 175 miles to home. I did not notice a difference between the locked vs swivel position

Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRizRV View Post
    I have a turning point hitch normally set to swivel and I had to switch to the locked position to take it in for service. When I was taking to the dealer we stopped in an open parking lot to test how far it would go before making contact. I was surprised how little I turned when backing before it came very close to the cab. So that being said I will most definitely switch back to the hitch in the swivel position.

Plus when I put the hitch in the lock position it was on our last trip about 175 miles to home. I did not notice a difference between the locked vs swivel position

Mark
    I have a Dodge with a short bed and I would have to make a really sharp turn to come in contact with the trailer. I do watch closely! I also have a slider hitch that I've had for over 10 years and have not been forced to use it once.

With that said, I'd never try to talk someone out of any preventive measure to avoid a disaster. I'm wondering if some of the trucks just have a shorter bed, or if the hitch is mounted closer to the cab? I've always been concerned about the stress on the wheels by extremely tight turns while backing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I have a Dodge with a short bed and I would have to make a really sharp turn to come in contact with the trailer. I do watch closely! I also have a slider hitch that I've had for over 10 years and have not been forced to use it once.

With that said, I'd never try to talk someone out of any preventive measure to avoid a disaster. I'm wondering if some of the trucks just have a shorter bed, or if the hitch is mounted closer to the cab? I've always been concerned about the stress on the wheels by extremely tight turns while backing.
    I have 6.75 bed and the hitch is installed over the rear axle, I try to avoid extreme turns while backing, but certain campgrounds have narrow roads with trees and vehicles parked in bad spots unwilling to move. So I'll take all the flexibility I can get
    Mark
    Last edited by MarkRizRV; 10-22-2019 at 06:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast