User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether is is safe to go over the GVWR or not, you could have legal and financial issues if you have an accident. The insurance company could decide to not honor your coverage and you could be held legally liable for anyone injured or worse since you are driving an overweight vehicle.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve wondered about this before, how in the world would they know you were 600 pounds overweight? The only way to know that for sure would be if the cops wouldn’t let you remove anything from your truck and fifth wheel and then they would have to haul the whole thing to a scale and weigh it. Can’t see the cops doing that.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually they do have individual wheel scales they use for weighing trucks.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick check on the internet indicated there are multiple states that specifically give the police the right to stop a vehicle they suspect is overweight. Some state you can be forced to drive to a weigh station or they can bring in a portable scale. One even said they require a 10% margin on the gross weight.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The toeing weight of our Solitude 379FL is within all of the numbers for my 2006 F250 Super-Duty with 2WD and the long bed, but only by a few hundred Lbs. After a couple of trips and doing the math I realized that the rear load range "E" tires were definitely the weakest link with too much sway. Blowing a tire while doing the freeway through mountains in Tennessee and Kentucky would definitely be a bad day, if we lived through it!

We considered upgrading to an F350, but research showed that the 2006 F250 and F350 are basically the same truck except for duallys, a much heavier rear axle, and 1000Lbs extra bed weight. The single rear wheel version of the F350 has the exact same axle as the F250. Therefore, we decided that it was a good idea to add a dually kit to our F250. The best kit I found is made in Michigan just north of Detroit. [www.arrowcraft.com] Using some "heavier" tools (torque Wrench and wrenches with a cheater bar I had the kit installed in an afternoon. The kit comes with four wheel adapter hubs, hardware with "red" Loctite and 6 polished alloy rims. They will tell you where you can find fiberglass fenders to be mounted by a body shop.

We had to buy four new tires for the dually's because the ones I had just bought were too wide for dually use. We bought a seventh rim for the spare (also with one of the earlier purchased tires). Any two of the rims can be used for dually's (back to back) but getting the valve stems oriented correctly might be a pain. (Side note: I cannot find steel valve stems that are really heavy duty and NOT made in China. My tire shop has stripped out the threads on two of them)!

All told we spent about $4200 for everything including the body shop for the fenders. Mounting hardware to mount the fenders was $200 from a Ford dealer as they are special. Summary: There is no more noticeable sway and now my back tires are loaded only about 50% or their max rating. Its a little harder to fit the truck into a parking spot now, but we are very pleased with the results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180613_081108972_HDR.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	23343Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180613_080923935.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	23344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180613_080806619_HDR.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	23345

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    The toeing weight of our Solitude 379FL is within all of the numbers for my 2006 F250 Super-Duty with 2WD and the long bed, but only by a few hundred Lbs. After a couple of trips and doing the math I realized that the rear load range "E" tires were definitely the weakest link with too much sway. Blowing a tire while doing the freeway through mountains in Tennessee and Kentucky would definitely be a bad day, if we lived through it!

We considered upgrading to an F350, but research showed that the 2006 F250 and F350 are basically the same truck except for duallys, a much heavier rear axle, and 1000Lbs extra bed weight. The single rear wheel version of the F350 has the exact same axle as the F250. Therefore, we decided that it was a good idea to add a dually kit to our F250. The best kit I found is made in Michigan just north of Detroit. [www.arrowcraft.com] Using some "heavier" tools (torque Wrench and wrenches with a cheater bar I had the kit installed in an afternoon. The kit comes with four wheel adapter hubs, hardware with "red" Loctite and 6 polished alloy rims. They will tell you where you can find fiberglass fenders to be mounted by a body shop.

We had to buy four new tires for the dually's because the ones I had just bought were too wide for dually use. We bought a seventh rim for the spare (also with one of the earlier purchased tires). Any two of the rims can be used for dually's (back to back) but getting the valve stems oriented correctly might be a pain. (Side note: I cannot find steel valve stems that are really heavy duty and NOT made in China. My tire shop has stripped out the threads on two of them)!

All told we spent about $4200 for everything including the body shop for the fenders. Mounting hardware to mount the fenders was $200 from a Ford dealer as they are special. Summary: There is no more noticeable sway and now my back tires are loaded only about 50% or their max rating. Its a little harder to fit the truck into a parking spot now, but we are very pleased with the results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180613_081108972_HDR.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	23343Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180613_080923935.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	23344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180613_080806619_HDR.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	23345
    That's a neat upgrade and your truck looks great.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12