User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, the results are in, folks

i can't play the role of a contrarian, because that would require knowledge of the subject, so i'll play the role that suits me: devil's advocate.

i couldn't wait until december to weigh my 3/4 ton truck, so i weighed it today, hooked up and loaded. here are the results:

tag says 10,000 gvwr; came in at 10,680; 8540 not hooked up
    tag says 6000 front axle; came in at 4840; 4900 not hooked up
    tag says 6500 rear axle; came in at 5540; 3440 not hooked up

so my trailer is producing 2100 lbs of tongue weight. my hat is off to all the respondents who said i'd be pushing 20%. tell everyone to throw that 15% estimate in the trash.

now for the devil's advocate part: in a trailer it's all about axle weight, right? why wouldn't a truck be all about axle weight. isn't that measure the most important from a safety and equipment perspective? i'm way inside my engineered parameters on axle weight, and i'm rolling 3640 lb capacity tires.

i don't want to beat a dead horse; i'm just not wanting to waste $15k upgrading my truck, chasing after a number that, in the end, means little, compared to axle weight capacities.
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS. Equalizer 1600 hitch. 2020 Chevrolet 2500 diesel short bed. Charley and Janis. Pets Zoie and Harley.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charley patton View Post
    now for the devil's advocate part: in a trailer it's all about axle weight, right? why wouldn't a truck be all about axle weight. isn't that measure the most important from a safety and equipment perspective? i'm way inside my engineered parameters on axle weight, and i'm rolling 3640 lb capacity tires.
    I believe the tire rating is the most important safety number.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can't play the role of a contrarian, because that would require knowledge of the subject, so i'll play the role that suits me: devil's advocate.

i couldn't wait until december to weigh my 3/4 ton truck, so i weighed it today, hooked up and loaded. here are the results:

so my trailer is producing 2100 lbs of tongue weight. my hat is off to all the respondents who said i'd be pushing 20%. tell everyone to throw that 15% estimate in the trash.

i don't want to beat a dead horse; i'm just not wanting to waste $15k upgrading my truck, chasing after a number that, in the end, means little, compared to axle weight capacities.
    Many people will/do pull with that type of combination, I pulled my 297RSTS with a Tundra and I was 3 - 400 lbs over payload but under all the other ratings. I have done it before as you can see and would likely do it again if I was under axle and tire ratings but in the end final decision will be yours as you will get both sets of opinions from us on the forum.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your pin weight is exactly the same as my 303. Based on your axle weights, I would not sweat your numbers
    Last edited by GeoffnCheri; 10-18-2019 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d just stay out of Canada, owing to their enforcement of GVWR.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't speak for other provinces in Canada but in British Columbia the only # that the commercial vehicle folks are interested in is that you are not over the rear axle rating of the truck.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolinhar View Post
    Can't speak for other provinces in Canada but in British Columbia the only # that the commercial vehicle folks are interested in is that you are not over the rear axle rating of the truck.
    I didn't mean to change the subject. BruceG recently wrote the following about enforcement in Canada (post 12), which is what made me think of it:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post262047

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the same in the USA but in Canada we have random roadside checks on commercial vehicles and RVs. I've traveled a fair bit in the US and haven't been checked yet but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. In Canada the roadside check on RVs consists simply of you driving over a portable scale one axle at a time.

* For the tow vehicle they check each axle, front and rear, to be sure you're not over the ratings that are posted on the sticker on your door and then they add the two axles loads to make sure you're not over your GVW.

* For the trailer they check each axle and make sure you're not over the rating for that axle (tag on axle) plus they add up the axles loads and check against trailer GVW. Generally if each axle is within the rated limit, you're good on the trailer.

* Then they add all your axles loads together and check against your GCW on your tow vehicle.

May sound like a lot but it only takes them five minutes to do this.
    As an RV owner you should be doing this yourself for piece of mind.

In Canada, ( DOESN'T MATTER WHAT MODS YOU'VE DONE ) if you get caught with an axle (any axle) loaded greater than the GAWR on the sticker on the door you'll be asked to drop your trailer and leave it behind. If you get caught over your tow vehicle sticker GVW or GCW they won't let you continue, period. And they'll fine you $$$.

As XRATED mentioned above, increasing load capacity on tires won't help, neither will adding air helper springs, etc. Once you're over the factory rating, you're over.

Sorry, don't mean to be a downer but at very least thought you should know if you plan on coming North across the border.
    Last edited by backtrack2015; 10-19-2019 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Add quote directly.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charley......No, it's not all about just the axle weight. What a trailer and or a truck can carry is comprised of several things.....tires, axle load capacity, springs, frame strength, and the the appropriately sized brakes to stop the vehicle. Everything is engineered and built to meet those numbers. And every single manufacturer will clearly state that you should NEVER EXCEED any of those capacities. What you do with that advice, is obviously up to the final consumer, but my option has always been and continues to be.....those design engineers and folks that make those decisions know a whole lot more about structural loading and design than I do, so I'll just leave that part up to them.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to the city dump earlier today. They have a brand new set of digital scales.

My F250 SuperDuty 7.3 diesel crewcab 2x4 truck weighs 6800 lbs. with 1/3 tank of fuel. I really expected it'd weigh more.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When I had my old unit customized - new higher capacity axles. they put the manufacturers axle sticker next to the old one and crossed out the old information. Is this not done anymore?
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast